Annual trip insurance – Have it? Used it? Looked into it, but didn’t like it?

ready123go

Since we now take a few trips a year, I am looking into annual trip insurance. I have perused some posts regarding this. Has anyone else bought it? Any problems or shortcomings? Is it a decent product?

I would also like any info from anyone who has looked into it and decided to opt for single-trip instead. Why did you pass up the annual?

I have looked into the annual trip insurance, but most of the posts I see here about really great multi-trip policies come from our Canadian friends who have an entirely different health care structure. Thus far, it is more cost-effective for me, in the US, to purchase individual trip policies. There are some good US evacuation annual policies, but they do not cover medical treatment, just emergency evacuation to the US.

If you would like an annual policy, make sure you read the whole thing from cover to cover and make sure it meets your needs. For instance, there might be per-claim cancellation coverage maximums, annual trip delay limits, etc.

Annual travel medical policies are quite common, as are annual medevac polices. Annual policies that cover cancellation are very rare in the U.S., although they are commonly available in Europe. (I don't know why this is.)

SirWired

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry~ Detroit. I found two annual policies from Travel Guard. One is a comprehensive policy for business and one is a medical/medical evac plan. These are probably U.S. citizen policies. The benefit(s) isn't quite right for us now, so I'm looking into individual policies.

I'm using http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ and http://www.squaremouth.com/. Squaremouth asks if you are a citizen of the US, Canada or the UK. Trip insurance store doesn't.

I found it best to use the two sites listed above, then go to the websites of the provider. That way I could see all the policies that an insurance provider is carrying and I might run across something that I didn't otherwise find. Also, by looking at the same policy on two or three websites I got a better feel for what was really going to be covered. (I found a couple of errors that confused me until I looked up the policy on the provider's website)

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry~ Detroit. I found two annual policies from Travel Guard. One is a comprehensive policy for business and one is a medical/medical evac plan. These are probably U.S. citizen policies. The benefit(s) isn't quite right for us now, so I'm looking into individual policies.

I'm using http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ and http://www.squaremouth.com/. Squaremouth asks if you are a citizen of the US, Canada or the UK. Trip insurance store doesn't.

I found it best to use the two sites listed above, then go to the websites of the provider. That way I could see all the policies that an insurance provider is carrying and I might run across something that I didn't otherwise find. Also, by looking at the same policy on two or three websites I got a better feel for what was really going to be covered. (I found a couple of errors that confused me until I looked up the policy on the provider's website)

Best of luck!

Hi ready123go,

Both US & Canadian residents can get the Travel Guard Annual plan.

The key to its eligibility is where you live, not where you are a citizen of. Therefore, a German citizen living in the USA for at least 6 months can get this plan.

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

...... check out insurancebookers dot com. Have a look at the annual, multi-trip Platinum policy.

Although the coverage is slightly better for people in Continental Europe than in the U.K., it has basically unlimited medical coverage and unlimited cancellation coverage.

And it only costs about 120 euros per person per year.

Far much better than the policies issued in the United States, and the policy is issued by Chartis/AIG (which in the U.S. is Travel Guard -- same company).

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

...... check out insurancebookers dot com. Have a look at the annual, multi-trip Platinum policy.

Although the coverage is slightly better for people in Continental Europe than in the U.K., it has basically unlimited medical coverage and unlimited cancellation coverage.

And it only costs about 120 euros per person per year.

Far much better than the policies issued in the United States, and the policy is issued by Chartis/AIG (which in the U.S. is Travel Guard -- same company).

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I looked at that website: the coverage is not unlimited. The medical limits might as well be (10 Million Pounds), but the cancellation is limited to 5000 Pounds.

It's still not a bad policy, but it isn't unlimited.

http://www.insurancebookers.co.uk/action/home.htm?_step=1&formSubmission=true&target=insurancePath6_moreInformation&book.selectedPolicyIdx=2

SirWired

Archived