Handicap Villa is only one room

ascatsob

I am so sorry but now you know exactly what you are getting. Make sure you scream all the way to the top....I was told this room was exactly the same as the others but handicap accessible. I am not even sure the reservations department know that what they are saying is completely untrue. The only reason I switched rooms is because we are not handicapped and I was told if a handicapped individual needed the room I would be bumped. So as soon as another room opened up....I grabbed it.

Thank you for sharing the information about the Handicapped Villa. I recieved pretty much the same information you did and also was on a list to get a different room too. I am still going to be hoeful that this can be resolved.

We also originally booked the handicap room and then changed to a regular room when we found out it was only one bedroom. My mother uses a walker most of the time and wheelchair for long distances. Is there enough space in the regular rooms to move about with a walker? Will she be able to use the walker in the washroom area?

It is a tight space but I believe you can use a walker to get around. The bathroom area in the master bedroom is definitely big enough. I would not suggest using a walker in the 2nd bedroom. It is extremely tight and the bathroom would not accomodate a walker. I will try to post pictures of these rooms later.

You are welcome......Are they planning on doing anything for you???

Ascatsob, Wow.... what an amazing experience! We Cancelled the entire trip. I will post a complete update very soon. Thanks again for your posting. You are so correct. If you had not made your posting we would have arrived to find a large hosptial style room with curtain dividers. Amazing... they are selling this room a two bedroom suite and living area.

Ascatsob, Wow.... what an amazing experience! We Cancelled the entire trip. I will post a complete update very soon. Thanks again for your posting. You are so correct. If you had not made your posting we would have arrived to find a large hosptial style room with curtain dividers. Amazing... they are selling this room a two bedroom suite and living area.

That is disgraceful. This room should ONLY be for the use of handicapped passengers in my opinion or sold at a substantial discount.

Sorry that yu have had to cancel your trip but as you say better than arriving on embarkation day and finding out you've been conned.

That's a shame.

Plenty of CV's available on 12/11/10 sailing....

Usually accessible cabins are about 30% or so bigger than regular cabins to accommodate wheelchairs and bigger bathrooms. Looks like here NCL is trying to jerry rig a handicapped cabin without making it bigger (ie taking up more space). Almost as if it is was an afterthought...

Edited by HazyDavy

GigCrusier...Sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Are they at least going to give you compensation for another trip? They definitely need to update their reservation agents so they don't keep sending out wrong information. I hope more people who booked this room read this and understand what they are getting!

That is disgraceful. This room should ONLY be for the use of handicapped passengers in my opinion or sold at a substantial discount.

Sorry that yu have had to cancel your trip but as you say better than arriving on embarkation day and finding out you've been conned.

Sorry that doesn't read particularly right.

What I mean is that the room should be held open for a certain period for any handicapped guests that may wish to book it. The rooms should also be substantially discounted compared to other CV's as it doesn't sound like it is offering full CV luxury.

"Gig" -- just wrote on FB. So sorry about this but thanks to ascotsob the situation was revealed. We're all assuming that you received a full refund of the cruise cost. That is the least NCL should have done. As I've said in the past -- I think NCL delivers (or would appear to deliver based on many comments) a good product to its customers. But the *back room* at NCL needs management action and attention. It's broken for sure.

I guess this is their way of not having to increase the size of the handicap room....just take down the walls!

.......they did that in all the bathrooms in all the standard sized rooms.......;)

I don't really know if they did this to all handicap rooms. I only saw the CV handicap room. Come to think of it they wouldn't need to do this to all the rooms 'cause they are already like this! aren't they???? Duhh to me!

I don't really know if they did this to all handicap rooms. I only saw the CV handicap room. Come to think of it they wouldn't need to do this to all the rooms 'cause they are already like this! aren't they???? Duhh to me!

Except some of the cabins would not be spacious enough for a wheel chair to pass the end of the beds, so if NCL want's to totally comply with the need for handicap facilities, they would have to do something different. Make the room wider? Or set the beds in a different configuration? Other?

Look at the deck plans for any ship HC are normaly bigger but the CV on EPIC is same size as the others in the grade also the description is different on some NCL cabin specific material.

Was it designated as a HC cabin on the early release deck plans? any one know?

(I have some on another PC that I can't access ATM)

Edited by insidecabin

Look at the deck plans for any ship HC are normaly bigger but the CV on EPIC is same size as the others in the grade also the description is different on some NCL cabin specific material.

Good Question....I would love to know the answer.

Hi Everyone -

Check out the poll I created. The three choices are the options offered to me from NCL. Keep in mind that I live in Washington State, my wife is a teacher, my daughter is full time student and we can only vacation when school is out. Also, we are holding non-refundable First Class Airline Seats. (Ouch!! $$$$).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1245110

Hi Everyone -

Check out the poll I created. The three choices are the options offered to me from NCL. Keep in mind that I live in Washington State, my wife is a teacher, my daughter is full time student and we can only vacation when school is out. Also, we are holding non-refundable First Class Airline Seats. (Ouch!! $$$$).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1245110

My opinion is defenitely that NCL shall pay for your airline tickets! I doubt that they will do it but it's the only right thing to do, I think.

I have a PDF of the deckplans that I saved on 03/17/2009 a full 15 months before the first cruise. Not sure when it was first released. The cabin is clearly marked as HC and more important unlike the other CVs it does not have a star indicating up to 5 passengers but rather a + that indicates 3rd or 4th passenger possible. :confused:

That's funny ... There were definitely 5 people in that cabin on my sailing. Three girls, a mother and a grandmother.

Were they sleeping on rollaways or were the bed for the 2nd room still there? Seems odd to imagine with he walls missing.