Handicap Villa is only one room

ascatsob

I think this was a good discussion as it educated some able bodied to the difficulties that handicapped people have in obtaining handicapped cabins. The biggest misconception being that the cruise line will move an abled bodied person out of a handicapped room if a handicapped cruiser needs it. It's a shame that isn't true but cruise lines tell people this over and over again.

Most of the fault lies with the reservationists at the cruise lines. They are entry level positions with low pay. One big joke being if you don't like an answer you get from one reservationist, call back and you'll get a different answer.

I wish everyone a wonderful cruise.

One upside (for the disabled community) to the design of this cabin that's being overlooked here. If we spread the word far and wide about how "bad" this cabin is, it may well become the one accessible cabin that able-bodied cruisers WON'T be interested in! :D

That spells better availability!

Edited by CannonFodder

I would like to heard from Umbarger again. Seems that her point is not well recieved.

So.... Should NCL be more responsible for how they advertise a room?

Yes, NCL should be more responsible for how they advertise a room. When they in the brochure tell people that there is no tub in the minisuites, it's very easy to assume that if they don't mention it in the brochure, the HC cabins are as good as the other cabins.

Yes, NCL should be more responsible for how they advertise a room. When they in the brochure tell people that there is no tub in the minisuites, it's very easy to assume that if they don't mention it in the brochure, the HC cabins are as good as the other cabins.

And beyond telling people that this is a HC room (which they do), what ELSE do you need them to tell you?

For HC people, the fact that it's an HC room is all they need to know.

For able-bodied people all they need to know is that it's an HC room and they should find an alternate.

Not sure what else needs to be said.

And beyond telling people that this is a HC room (which they do), what ELSE do you need them to tell you?

For able-bodied people all they need to know is that it's an HC room and they should find an alternate.

They advertise it as a suite with "separate bedroom with queen-size bed, sep. children's bedroom, 2 luxurious bathroom", maybe they shall say that it's just one big room without interior walls? (If that's what it is, I have not seen the room so I only "know" what I read here)

Do you really think that every person with a handikapp don't care if there are no interior walls?

If all we need to know is that it's a HC room, why do they specify that there is no bathtub in the minisuites?

They advertise it as a suite with "separate bedroom with queen-size bed, sep. children's bedroom, 2 luxurious bathroom", maybe they shall say that it's just one big room without interior walls? (If that's what it is, I have not seen the room so I only "know" what I read here)

Do you really think that every person with a handikapp don't care if there are no interior walls?

If all we need to know is that it's a HC room, why do they specify that there is no bathtub in the minisuites?

Their website has a square, and a + for this room. Says "Stateroom with facilities for the disabled, contact NCL Reservations for details". The + symbol means 3rd and/or 4th person occupancy available.

So that I fully understand, in this one post you're criticizing them both for what they HAVE posted (no bathtubs in minis), and what they HAVEN'T (curtains in lieu of walls in Courtyard)??

I'm guessing that if you were HC, you'd be happy to know that this category of cabin could accommodate your chair or walker....that the walls were pliable instead of fixed... possibly a benefit, not a concern....I don't know, I'm able-bodied....but empathetically, I would imagine that given each HC person's different concerns, curtains offer the highest amount of flexibility within the cabin.

Their website has a square, and a + for this room. Says "Stateroom with facilities for the disabled, contact NCL Reservations for details". The + symbol means 3rd and/or 4th person occupancy available.

So that I fully understand, in this one post you're criticizing them both for what they HAVE posted (no bathtubs in minis), and what they HAVEN'T (curtains in lieu of walls in Courtyard)??

I'm guessing that if you were HC, you'd be happy to know that this category of cabin could accommodate your chair or walker....that the walls were pliable instead of fixed... possibly a benefit, not a concern....I don't know, I'm able-bodied....but empathetically, I would imagine that given each HC person's different concerns, curtains offer the highest amount of flexibility within the cabin.

I DON'T criticize them for posting that there is no tub in the minisuite but I criticize them for being so inconsistent. Why do they add the information about the minisuite but not the information about the Courtyard Villas? I think that it's great that they post that there is no tub in the minisuites but if they post that, I think that they should be consistant and also post information about the Courtyard Villas.

It is possible to make a HC-cabin with walls so I see no reason not to have walls in the HC Courtyard Villa on the Epic. Some handikapped persons might also need the walls for support so I think that curtains instead of walls is a bad idéa.

I DON'T criticize them for posting that there is no tub in the minisuite but I criticize them for being so inconsistent. Why do they add the information about the minisuite but not the information about the Courtyard Villas? I think that it's great that they post that there is no tub in the minisuites but if they post that, I think that they should be consistant and also post information about the Courtyard Villas.

It is possible to make a HC-cabin with walls so I see no reason not to have walls in the HC Courtyard Villa on the Epic. Some handikapped persons might also need the walls for support so I think that curtains instead of walls is a bad idéa.

Have you been in a courtyard villa? If they widen the doors, there's no wall left.

seems to me that the only way to accommodate a chair is to use curtains/flexible material to delineate the rooms.

Have you been in a courtyard villa? If they widen the doors, there's no wall left.

seems to me that the only way to accommodate a chair is to use curtains/flexible material to delineate the rooms.

If that's correct, I agree that they have to get rid of the walls but I still think that they could post that information in the brochure.

Are the minisuites bigger than the Courtyard Villas? If they can make a HC minisuite with walls, I think they should be able to make a HC Courtyard Villa with walls too.

In hindsight I don't know how you could make a CV fully HC accessible without removing all the interior walls. They can not make just part of it accessible.

Lets start no way to get a wheel chair in the small bedroom or bathroom and the walls must come down.

2382945030059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

Master bed needs room on both sides for wheelchair access. Wall has to come down

2115677590059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

Master bath area has to be expanded and completely redesigned with roll in shower and no tub.

2594971070059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

Anyone able bodied passenger that wants a real surprise book one of the HC AEs on the Jewel - Walls down except for the giant bathroom area, no pass thru closet (small stand alone), no sofa, no dining table, no dressing area with desk. Just two twin beds, two small chairs and a small round coffee table. All that said it is a great cabin for someone who needs it.

I think this was a good discussion as it educated some able bodied to the difficulties that handicapped people have in obtaining handicapped cabins. The biggest misconception being that the cruise line will move an abled bodied person out of a handicapped room if a handicapped cruiser needs it. It's a shame that isn't true but cruise lines tell people this over and over again.

Most of the fault lies with the reservationists at the cruise lines. They are entry level positions with low pay. One big joke being if you don't like an answer you get from one reservationist, call back and you'll get a different answer.

I wish everyone a wonderful cruise.

Do you have a problem with the way reservations are made with cruise lines? ;) Is there anything we as able bodied people can do to help alivate this problem with HC accessable cabins in the future? With booking cabins online and people booking cabins because of size, would it not be better to stop reservations online, using only knowledgeable people making the reservations? I believe this problem is a known problem with all cruise lines, not specifically a NCL problem.

A few years back, I met a nice lady and her personal care companion on the Star. The lady was a wheel chair bound HC, and her only communication was through sign language as she was hearing impaired. She was telling me she needed to book at least 2 years ahead to have a HC cabin...she couldn't decide last minute to cruise. She was upset that she wasn't able to cruise on the spur of the moment as abled bodied people were.

Maybe more HC people would cruise if the cabins were available last minute.

JMHO...:)

If that's correct, I agree that they have to get rid of the walls but I still think that they could post that information in the brochure.

Are the minisuites bigger than the Courtyard Villas? If they can make a HC minisuite with walls, I think they should be able to make a HC Courtyard Villa with walls too.

A mini-suite is the same as a deluxe balcony....

A courtyard villa is a 2 bdrm suite with deluxe multi-jet shower, bathtub with window overlooking the sea, separate living room....

The HC minisuite has EXTERIOR WALLS, and so does the CV.

In addition, the CV usually has interior walls as well, but there's no way to preserve those and make the CV HC accessible.

Edited by sjbdtz

"contact NCL Reservations for details". " This is where the problem began. The reservations department did give the correct details of the cabin. If I were handicapped and traveling with children, I would think this room was a suite with a second bedroom for the children. I would also believe that it would be handicap accessible. I have no issue with the suite not having walls. I do, however, have an issue with NCL telling people it has the same suite layout as all the others do. I understand the frustration of non-handicapped people reserving a handicapped room but the real reason for this post was to let ALL people know (handicapped or not) that the room is NOT the same as the other suites. It is different and should be described as such.

"contact NCL Reservations for details". " This is where the problem began. The reservations department did give the correct details of the cabin. If I were handicapped and traveling with children, I would think this room was a suite with a second bedroom for the children. I would also believe that it would be handicap accessible. I have no issue with the suite not having walls. I do, however, have an issue with NCL telling people it has the same suite layout as all the others do. I understand the frustration of non-handicapped people reserving a handicapped room but the real reason for this post was to let ALL people know (handicapped or not) that the room is NOT the same as the other suites. It is different and should be described as such.[/quote]

Just curious on this statement in red...do other cruise lines describe in detail the HC cabins?

"contact NCL Reservations for details". " This is where the problem began. The reservations department did give the correct details of the cabin. If I were handicapped and traveling with children, I would think this room was a suite with a second bedroom for the children. I would also believe that it would be handicap accessible. I have no issue with the suite not having walls. I do, however, have an issue with NCL telling people it has the same suite layout as all the others do. I understand the frustration of non-handicapped people reserving a handicapped room but the real reason for this post was to let ALL people know (handicapped or not) that the room is NOT the same as the other suites. It is different and should be described as such.

Do the curtain tracks mimic the regular walls? In other words is there a 2nd bdrm but the walls are made of fabric, when they're pulled shut?

Is the main bdrm closed-off from the living room BY FABRIC when closed?

It's really too bad you didn't take photographs, as you seem to be the only person to have seen this room.

Excellent post, sjbdtz!!!!!

Yes, for HC people the fact that it is a HC room is all we need to know. We don't care about anything else. We can't be picky. Just knowing the cabin will accommodate a wheelchair, we can shower and use the toilet is all we need to know.

Sorry Umbarger, you can't speak for all wheelchair users. If I booked this cabin at a price more than twice the cost of my deluxe balcony, I would be disappointed it does not have a separate bedroom for my son. A curtain, to me, does not replace the feeling of luxury with multi rooms.

Sorry Umbarger, you can't speak for all wheelchair users. If I booked this cabin at a price more than twice the cost of my deluxe balcony, I would be disappointed it does not have a separate bedroom for my son. A curtain, to me, does not replace the feeling of luxury with multi rooms.

Know what's weird? When you look at house design, the open-concept homes are much more expensive than those with multiple small designated rooms.

Open-ness and expansiveness are much more luxurious than tight-fitting rooms.

And presuming you're in a chair....if the choices are

a) your chair doesn't fit

b) your chair fits because the walls are flexible....

And not being in your chair isn't an option.... then which do you prefer.

Umbarger is speaking for her situation, and you are speaking for yours.

Given that you'd prefer walls (which means you can have the chair), I'm guessing you have some degree of mobility. In your case, why not book the non-HC room and have walls, walls, walls.

:)

Do you have a problem with the way reservations are made with cruise lines? ;) Is there anything we as able bodied people can do to help alivate this problem with HC accessable cabins in the future? With booking cabins online and people booking cabins because of size, would it not be better to stop reservations online, using only knowledgeable people making the reservations? I believe this problem is a known problem with all cruise lines, not specifically a NCL problem.

A few years back, I met a nice lady and her personal care companion on the Star. The lady was a wheel chair bound HC, and her only communication was through sign language as she was hearing impaired. She was telling me she needed to book at least 2 years ahead to have a HC cabin...she couldn't decide last minute to cruise. She was upset that she wasn't able to cruise on the spur of the moment as abled bodied people were.

Maybe more HC people would cruise if the cabins were available last minute.

JMHO...:)

Yes, the cruise lines are a big problem. All cruise lines not just NCL.

First off, they sometimes let AB people book HC rooms. They shouldn't. Many cruise lines just use the entry level, low paid reservationists to book handicapped cabins. These reservationists know nothing. They haven't seen a cruise ship, never mind been on one. They know even less when it comes to HC cabins. Cruise lines need to put all HC cabins in restricted inventory and not allow them to be booked on line. Cruise lines need a special needs department. Employees that know what is going on regarding HC cabins. That way cruise lines can make sure HC cabins are going to people who need them.

Another thing to remember is there are not a lot of these HC cabins. On an average ship there are only around 20. In those 20 around 1 or 2 may be suites, around 8 are balconies, 8 outsides and around 4 are insides. Many times HC cruisers need to book insides as all the balcony cabins are already booked. If they were booked by HC persons fine I should have booked earlier but when they are booked by able bodied people it just isn't fair. Able bodied people can choose any one of the literally hundreds of regular balcony cabins available. Able bodied people want HC cabins. Handicapped people need them. There is a big difference between wanting and needing.

HC cruisers can't expect the cruise lines to hold HC cabins back until the last minute. Cruise lines are out to make money and they want to fill any open cabins. We believe around 6 weeks prior to sailing is a good time. If any unbooked HC cabins remain open to let anyone book or transfer to them.

I also have to book around a year in advance to be able to obtain a HC cabin. We always have to pay higher prices. We never get upgraded. We can never wait for a sale or get sale prices. If we wait, all HC cabins will already be booked and that means we can't cruise.

The biggest thing AB can do to help alleviate this problem is to simply not book handicapped cabins and to refuse if the cruise line offers to book them into one.

Thank you for your questions.

I am a full time wheelchair user and my home was custom built - some parts very open but I still have many rooms with walls.

Although I have not seen this CV, I wonder if it was an afterthought as they usually make the rooms larger to fit in the amenities. Let's hope the bathroom has some walls. My deluxe balconey has a bathroom with walls, surely, this one does, too.

I would rather book two rooms to have two separate sleeping areas, but that is not possible for a wheelchair user who wants courtyard access. It's a trade off that I'm not sure I am willing to pay. Maybe if pics are posted, I may think differently.

Edited by TrikeRider

I am a full time wheelchair user and my home was custom built - some parts very open but I still have many rooms with walls.

Although I have not seen this CV, I wonder if it was an afterthought as they usually make the rooms larger to fit in the amenities. Let's hope the bathroom has some walls. My deluxe balconey has a bathroom with walls, surely, this one does, too.

I would rather book two rooms to have two separate sleeping areas, but that is not possible for a wheelchair user who wants courtyard access. It's a trade off that I'm not sure I am willing to pay. Maybe if pics are posted, I may think differently.

That is your answer right there. No need to sidestep it. In many cases...the needs (including near equivalency) of the wheelchair bound are ignored. We purchased our home from a couple whose husband was confined to a wheelchair. They had made some (many) adjustments to account for this...but it still had walls and separate rooms. The major changes were the heights of most things were lowered. Not a deal breaker for us as we were looking to remodel anyway.

No I can't speak for all wheelchair users. So please speak up. I can't be the only one on here defending handicapped issues!

I believe I can speak for most (obviously not all) disabled when I say we are mostly concerned about accessibility issues.

NCL shouldn't have made this suite the same size as the others. They needed to make it larger so it could also have real walls. As always cruise lines are trying to cut corners and save money.

The main thing I am trying to say is able bodied cruisers shouldn't be booking handicapped cabins regardless of it being a suite or having curtains. In that I hope I can say I am speaking for all wheelchair users.

I made a mistake posting this message. I only wanted people who were booking this room to know that it is only one room not the 3 room suite that it was advertised to be. Some how this message has turned into a debate as to whether or not able bodied people should or should not book a handicap room. I was only trying to say if you buy an apple you expect to get an apple not a pear. The pear may taste ok but it is not an apple.

A mini-suite is the same as a deluxe balcony....

A courtyard villa is a 2 bdrm suite with deluxe multi-jet shower, bathtub with window overlooking the sea, separate living room....

The HC minisuite has EXTERIOR WALLS, and so does the CV.

In addition, the CV usually has interior walls as well, but there's no way to preserve those and make the CV HC accessible.

You are proving my point!!! A minisuite is "only" a deluxe balcony and they have managed to put walls inside it. A Courtyard Villa is supposed to be luxurious and it cost a lot but they can't put walls in it!

The way you see it, the minisuites really are real suites, without perks, because they have a curtain so they have a seperate livingroom = they are real suites!

Know what's weird? When you look at house design, the open-concept homes are much more expensive than those with multiple small designated rooms.

Open-ness and expansiveness are much more luxurious than tight-fitting rooms.

And presuming you're in a chair....if the choices are

a) your chair doesn't fit

b) your chair fits because the walls are flexible....

And not being in your chair isn't an option.... then which do you prefer.

Umbarger is speaking for her situation, and you are speaking for yours.

Given that you'd prefer walls (which means you can have the chair), I'm guessing you have some degree of mobility. In your case, why not book the non-HC room and have walls, walls, walls.

:)

If it's so luxorious with openness, why do they have walls in the other suites? Shouldn't NCL advertise all suites as ONE BIG ROOM?

As I already have told you, I think that it's okey to skip the walls if that's the only way to make the suite accessible to persons who need to use a wheelchair but I think that NCL shall advertise the suites correct.