Cabin 2526 Volendam

iloveglee

We have just booked this cabin on an Alaska Cruise for May 2011. There are four adults. We have done this before on Carnival same kind of cabin, same position in the ship and had no problems with the four, but the cabin configuration had been different (two lower and two upper bunks). Questions I have from anyone who has had this, or similar cabin are: Where is the upper bed situated - the cabin pictures don't show this out. Are the sofabeds comfortable, or should I consider bringing along some kind of mattress pad, or blowup bed for extra comfort. Have slept on some pretty awful sofa beds in my time but these have been very old and I understand the Volendam underwent a refit in 2006.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The upper bed is located above one of the beds, they are situated either side. When we cruised they made the bed into a queen and then the bunk came down above, it was a bit awkard getting into bed on one side, as you had to bend over to go under the bunk. You can request the steward to make the queen back into 2 singles with them on the side of the room.

The sofa is also a bed, the steward will turn it into a bed at night time.

Hopefully the sofa beds will be replaced during dry dock next May, as there has been a few cruisers who have had problems with them, including ourselves.

These cabins also do not have fridges. You can request one.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The upper bed is located above one of the beds, they are situated either side. When we cruised they made the bed into a queen and then the bunk came down above, it was a bit awkard getting into bed on one side, as you had to bend over to go under the bunk. You can request the steward to make the queen back into 2 singles with them on the side of the room.

The sofa is also a bed, the steward will turn it into a bed at night time.

Hopefully the sofa beds will be replaced during dry dock next May, as there has been a few cruisers who have had problems with them, including ourselves.

These cabins also do not have fridges. You can request one.

Hope this helps.

Just a suggestion. Whether you have the bed made into twins or a queen, have the stateroom steward place the pillows etc at the foot of the bed instead of against the wall or normal head. This will prevent accidental hitting of heads on the bunk above you.

Joanie

Thanks for the info. Having been in what are effectively bunks on other cruise ships, we have got used to having to be careful getting out of bed. I was wondering about the comfort of the sofa bed, hopefully they will be upgraded, will have to check that with them later on.

I have taken another look at a better photo of this cabin type. I cannot for the life of me see how, when the sofabed is pulled out the people in the twins can get past to get to the bathroom in the night.

I have taken another look at a better photo of this cabin type. I cannot for the life of me see how, when the sofabed is pulled out the people in the twins can get past to get to the bathroom in the night.

If it's a quad, with a bunk over the beds, then the sofa bed doesn't open up across the floor. It flips somehow so that the person is sleeping from one arm of the sofa to the other.

Yes I think I get it now, we had a holiday on a boat where the seat came out a bit and the back folded down. It came out into the floor area a bit but not enough to block the way through. Hopefully it will be OK, I am the shortest person in the group so it wouldn't matter if the bed wasnt as long as a regular bed.

Archived