SV Cabin (Sunset Veranda) on the Century

CRUZBUDS

We're looking at the Century to Alaska and are considering an SV cabin on the Sports Deck above the Sunset Bar in the aft.

I spent a lot of time yesterday searching posts and the relatively few there were, seem very mixed. Most were several years old when they were new - (they were added during the major renovation in 2006)

I'm looking for more input ... does anyone have any experiences to share?

I'm surprised, I thought I would get some input since historically there was so little. It seems like some of the Cruise Critics must have booked them, but maybe the negative posts were taken to heart.;)

My T/A came back with pricing in the mean time and the SV where more than the CC cabins -- I thought before they were priced between the regular veranda and a CC.

It seems like a no brainer to go for the CC unless someone has info that the SV are really nicer.

We're Elite so several of the CC benefits are redundant, but those French toast sticks are pretty tasty with cream cheese and strawberry jam. We discovered it accidently when they forgot the bagel and we got the cream cheese. :)

Hi Cruzbuds -- I remember you from the "Aloha Cruise" roll-call thread -- Century to Hawaii. We're booked in one of the SV's for that one, and I've been trying like crazy (with little success) to get recent feedback on those cabins. So, I'll tell you what I've been able to learn here, and hopefully some kind soul with recent experience in these cabins will take pity on us, and chime-in with an update! ;)

-- All five SV cabins directly overlook the Sunset Bar, which is a designated smoking area;

-- SV1242 is reportedly the largest cabin, but the balcony is odd-shaped, and had NO privacy from the bar below;

-- SV1251 and 1244 have smaller (55 sq.ft) balconies;

-- SV1253 & 1246 have large (80 sq.ft) balconies, but they directly overlook the tarp that covers the Sunset Bar -- tarp is reported to be less than clean;

If you go through the old posts, you can find a few photos of Century's aft, but nothing recent (that I could find, anyway). Hope this helps! :cool:

I had one of the middle SV Cabins on the 2007 New Years cruise and I thought it was one of the worst cabins I've had.

The balcony on the middle SV's overlook the tarp that's over the Sunset Bar. It can be noisy and you really do not have an aft view. If you are in one on the starboard side you are basically, on display, to everyone in the Sunset Bar.

I strongly suggest going with a CC cabin or anything on the side rather than these cabins.

Take care,

Mike

We had 1246 booked for our recent Century TA. After reading the few reviews that we could find, we changed to a Sky Suite (the price dropped so not much more than the SV) Whilst on the cruise (which was marvellous by the way) we went up to have a look at 1246 from above. We were SO pleased we changed....the aft view that we really enjoy was not good and the tarp was (understandably, it's open to the elements) dirty and most unattractive. The thought of sitting on the balcony eating breakfast with this huge, dirty tarp right there - not good!

Sue

Thanks Mike -- The center cabins would have been the only two we would have considered. 1246 looks interesteing, but with no privacy it at all, it would be a little strange.

I'm think Cruise Critics tend to avoid these. The possible smoke from the bar is one of the several drawbacks that would really bother us.

I was surpised that it was priced higher. I think in the little information I was able to gleen from several years ago that they were less than a CC.

Aloha WW -- It looks like we'll be booking the 14 day Alaska repo to S.D.. We love Hawaii cruises, but at that price, they really need a better itinerary. We'll keep our reservation in place until we get closer to final payment. If the prices drop or we get cold feet about Alaska (no pun intended :rolleyes:) we'll be sailing to Hawaii with you.

Aloha to you, Cruzbuds -- still hope to see you on the r/t to Hawaii. If your alternative plan for the Alaska repo cruise works out, please post a review of it -- that's one that DH and I would really like to do, someday! :cool:

Your earlier comment about the Century SV cabins being more $$ than the concierge class really threw me for a loop! I remembered the SV's being cheaper than the cc's, back in May when we booked ours. So, I checked the current prices, and sure enough, the SV's have gone up a whopping $200pp, since we booked! :eek: Of course, there are only 5 SVs, and 3 of them now appear to be booked -- so I guess it's the old supply-and-demand thing. :rolleyes:

We're still hoping that the overall prices will eventually come down. I'd love to be able to talk DH into upgrading to a Sky Suite (but not at these prices)! :p

I had one of the middle SV Cabins on the 2007 New Years cruise and I thought it was one of the worst cabins I've had.

The balcony on the middle SV's overlook the tarp that's over the Sunset Bar. It can be noisy and you really do not have an aft view. If you are in one on the starboard side you are basically, on display, to everyone in the Sunset Bar.

I strongly suggest going with a CC cabin or anything on the side rather than these cabins.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks for the honest input, Mike -- one specific question, if you don't mind: How smokey is the Sunset Bar, if you are out on one of the middle SV balconies? I know that it's a designated smoking area, but does the smoke drift up past the tarps? If so, is it worse at sea, or when the ship is not moving? We booked an SV for our 15-nter to Hawaii, mainly for the larger balcony -- but now it's not looking like such a good idea! :confused:

We had a balcony guarantee on a 5 night cruise from Miami in 2007 and were upgraded to cabin 1246 on the Century. WE LOVED IT! Smoke was never a problem and we enjoyed listening to music being played in the aft bar. The tarp was a surprise since we did not realize how the aft cabin was configured but we adjusted and loved the larger balcony. We subsequently had a FV on the Century on a Med Cruise in 2008 and would have preferred the SV. Go and have fun!:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

We are planning to book the repo Alaska cruise to San Diego in 9/2011 so maybe we will see you on that cruise. We are booking CC but it is really hard to get balcony info. We are traveling with 2 other couples with rooms next to each other and it would really be nice to be able to open the balconies up between us. We also all sailed on the "Spirit" and loved that ship. We were able to open balconies up. We are going on "Spirit" again in Jan 2011.

If anyone knows whether we can open balconies, please let us know.

Happy Sailing!!!

Archived