Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

Jim is right. I reported this glitch to Celebrity.

If you continue with the package purchase on line the error disappears and you are charged the correct amount. Worked for me.

Peter

Thank goodness for Cruise Critic and it's great members!

I had been having the same pricing issue, but after reading your post went ahead and proceeded to book my Premium All-Inclusive package for my upcoming Century cruise to Hawaii! :D The "glitch" pricing on the main bev package page had put me totally off as it was significantly more $$$$ than the base $54/day + 15% ...........

we are trying to figure out if we should get a beverage package for our 12 day cruise in november. it seems confusing. i wish all the info. was on 1 page rather than going back and forth. is there an easier way to figure this out?? thank you so much!!!

Are the all-inclusive options the only ones offered? Anything different offered after boarding?

On HAL I think I had a $110 drinks value purchased for $100 which is better for those that don't drink so much and don't want to monitor spend often - once it's done, it's done :)

Plus they had happy hours (2 for 1) does Celebrity have happy hours?

we are trying to figure out if we should get a beverage package for our 12 day cruise in november. it seems confusing. i wish all the info. was on 1 page rather than going back and forth. is there an easier way to figure this out?? thank you so much!!!

What in particular are you confused about geenafeena?

We had the premium alcohol package for our 14 day TA. It cost us not much less than £1000 for the 2 of us. It was great not to have to worry about the onboard bill but we wouldn't have it again. We wouldn't have spent so much, nor would we have drank so much paying as you go. We had far too many mornings feeling 'off it' on that cruise. :o

Nice to be able to get just about any drink you want though.

Are the all-inclusive options the only ones offered? Anything different offered after boarding?

On HAL I think I had a $110 drinks value purchased for $100 which is better for those that don't drink so much and don't want to monitor spend often - once it's done, it's done :)

Plus they had happy hours (2 for 1) does Celebrity have happy hours?

There are drink specials and occasionally a 2 for 1 happy hour. We had the happy hour every afternoon on a 7 day Eclipse Caribbean cruise last Feb but not on a Constellation cruise last March. There are bucket of beer specials daily at the outdoor bars (poolside and aft) that are buy 4 or 5 get one free.

There are usually some sort of wine carafe special in the buffet and aft bar daily. On most ships (maybe not S class) there is a bottled wine package discussed on Celebrity's site which is small discount on several bottles from a limited selection of like priced wine. Also if you are Elite Captains club there are a couple coupons for bottles of wine at 10% or 15% off, and sometimes if the specialty restuarant bookings are slow they'll offer discounts on wine there as well as the cover charge.

Other than that you're pretty much either on the packages or on a menu priced pay as you go. Despite my interest in the beverage packages we've just done pay as you go.

What in particular are you confused about geenafeena?

We had the premium alcohol package for our 14 day TA. It cost us not much less than £1000 for the 2 of us. It was great not to have to worry about the onboard bill but we wouldn't have it again. We wouldn't have spent so much, nor would we have drank so much paying as you go. We had far too many mornings feeling 'off it' on that cruise. :o

Nice to be able to get just about any drink you want though.

basically, we drink beer, mixed drinks (tequila/vodka/rum), martinis and wine (am happy with my berringer white zinfandel, to give you an idea) and daquiries (pool side drinks). this will be a 12 day cruise so it just might pay off being we will more than likely be hanging out at the martini bar in the evening (i understand martinis are $10 and up).

basically, we drink beer, mixed drinks (tequila/vodka/rum), martinis and wine (am happy with my berringer white zinfandel, to give you an idea) and daquiries (pool side drinks). this will be a 12 day cruise so it just might pay off being we will more than likely be hanging out at the martini bar in the evening (i understand martinis are $10 and up).

Our friends had the classic package and they could get all those drinks you've mentioned (apart from I'm not familiar with that wine you mention). The Martinis are $10 but you can get smaller ones on the classic package; the same size they use for the Martini flights. That way, you can try many more. I had that size even though I had the premium package as the full size ones were far too strong for me, if I wanted to walk in a straight line to dinner that is!

If you roughly add up your usual daily drinks from the drinks prices someone's kindly posted, then you can roughly work out if it's worth it for you. Don't forget to include water, coffees etc. Bear in mind that after a few days of having all these lovely drinks, the novelty wears off and water suddenly tastes like nectar :D.

Our friends had the classic package and they could get all those drinks you've mentioned (apart from I'm not familiar with that wine you mention). The Martinis are $10 but you can get smaller ones on the classic package; the same size they use for the Martini flights. That way, you can try many more. I had that size even though I had the premium package as the full size ones were far too strong for me, if I wanted to walk in a straight line to dinner that is!

If you roughly add up your usual daily drinks from the drinks prices someone's kindly posted, then you can roughly work out if it's worth it for you. Don't forget to include water, coffees etc. Bear in mind that after a few days of having all these lovely drinks, the novelty wears off and water suddenly tastes like nectar :D.

how much is the classic package? is specialty coffee included? soda? why would i want to get smaller martinis???? LOL

how much is the classic package? is specialty coffee included? soda? why would i want to get smaller martinis???? LOL

I can't remember the price for classic. It was $54 for premium inc gratuities.

Yes, coffee and soda are included in the classic package. Certain beers (over $5 I think) and some wines (over $8) are excluded. Take a look at the packages for full details.

I think you would be better off with the premium for those lethal full size Martinis. Don't forget the $12 drinks at the Molecular bar too. Be sure to pack your hangover cure for the trip :D.

Are you still confused? I'm really glad we tried it but I don't think we would bother next time.

it seems to be a lot of money to put out just for drinks. so...a 12 day cruise, classic alcohol package comes to $528 pp and say i only get $10 drinks, i could have 52 drinks in the 12 days which equals 4 $10 drinks a day. i won't even be having all $10 drinks so i would be able to have more than 4 drinks a day....anyway....i can't see spending $1,056 for the package for my bf and i. i don't think it pays either.

do they allow you to bring 2 of the larger size wine bottles on board?

it seems to be a lot of money to put out just for drinks. so...a 12 day cruise, classic alcohol package comes to $528 pp and say i only get $10 drinks, i could have 52 drinks in the 12 days which equals 4 $10 drinks a day. i won't even be having all $10 drinks so i would be able to have more than 4 drinks a day....anyway....i can't see spending $1,056 for the package for my bf and i. i don't think it pays either.

The package isn't right for everyone and if you are unsure about it I'd highly recommend that you take a pass for now. Once you are on board if you have regrets after a day or two you can buy a package on board at a price pro-rated for the remainder of the cruise.

The Celebrity alchol policy just says 2 bottles of wine, it does not specify size. Many cruisers report no issues bringing large bottles on, or even boxes of wine (typically size of 3 standard size bottles). But there are occasional reports of people having issues with large bottles or boxes. Bottom line is that while the odds seem to be in favor of large bottles being passed through there is a chance that they will not. If you can handle the chance then give it a try, if not then stick with 2 standard size bottles.

Geenafeena I agree with Lsimon. I think if you are questioning it don't buy it in advance and see how it goes the first day or so.

As someone who has ordered the premium alcohol package for an 8 day cruise in the Carribean I can tell you that I would do it again and again on a cruise of that length in the Carribean. For 12 - 14 day port intensive Meds....I doubt I could do it.

Right now I am battling with myself about whether to do it for my upcoming 10 day Alaska....

For me, in the Carribean, the alcohol was not necessarily what made the package such a deal. I was buying 2 or 3 waters to take off the ship each morning, 2 cappachinos a day at Cova Coffee Bar, a smoothie at aqua spa cafe or cova(2 the whole cruise), fresh orange juice at the sea day brunch, large Pellegrino for the table every night and at lunch...... So those things can easily add up.

When I added my "beverage tab" not necessarily "bar tab" after the cruise I was ahead by more than $200.00. Some people on cruise critic talk about not doing the package because they want to have a "Liver" after the cruise.....to me the "Liver" has little to do with it....don't get me wrong I love Marinis and wine.....but the value in the package is for people who drink a large variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.......

I definitely didn't drink more alcohol because I had the package......I may have tasted some things I wouldn't have normally tried...and that was fun....but I didn't order a drink because I could, I ordered a drink because I wanted one and I would have done so with or without the package......

Even if I don't get the premium alcohol I will definitely get premium non-alcohol..... for $18.00 a day plus gratuity I don't think you can beat it....... I would chose premium non-alcohol because of the specialty coffees and smothies.....the selection is much better than classic non-alcohol and the difference is $4.00 a day.......

I spend $18.00 a day on bottled water alone........

The convenience was great...but I don't think it is inconvenient to sign a slip either. I am not one of those people that say I did the package so I wouldn't have to sign slips...I am not so busy on a cruise that I can't sign slips......

It is nice to not have to look at your folio account and say OMG I spent $300.00 and it is only day 2?? This way the damage is done.......

Edited by cherylroslyn

Thank you. Yes I did a search but it seemed like there wasn't a "clear" response - so I thought maybe it had been cleared up more recently. I figured it didn't include alcohol but wasn't sure if say one package came with "more exciting" coffee options. It seems like both packages (non alcoholic that is) offer the same choices for coffee then. They note that the coffee is from the coffee bar - does this mean if say DH gets a classic package and I get the premium that we can both order a capp, Latte or espresso or something similar with dessert in the main dining room?

I spoke to Celebrity UK yesterday to try and clarify some answers about the various drinks packages as I may want to purchase one as a gift and was appalled at their replies.

I enquired about the non alcoholic packages and was told '...its all on the website' When I said it didn't explain what the difference was between the premium coffee on the Classic package and Speciality on the Premium was. They said premium was capps, latte and expresso and that speciality was alcoholic additions!! What part of non-alcoholic didn't they understand.

I also tried to find out about how they decide on what is one drink and what is two ie. you can have a Bacardi and Coke or a Vodka and Sprite as one drink. They said if you have the Classic alcoholic package and if you want Brandy with your expresso or capp. etc and order it at the bar thats 2 drinks (why can you have a soda but not a coffee as a combined drink??). However if you are in the MDR and order a capp. from your food waiter and a brandy from your bar waiter then you can pour one into the other (can you imagine the mess??!!) if you want to. Surely this can't be correct??:confused:

When I said that seemed inconvenient and messy I was told perhaps if I was picky then the packages might not be for us. Also was implied depended on how much you really wanted to drink - the cheek to want a cocktail before dinner, one with the meal and ohh the excess of a brandy with coffee - surely I am a lush!! :rolleyes:

Also the first operator (who kept putting me on hold while she asked various collegues who had been on a Celebrity cruise and bought a package) said they were still testing out the packages so they didn't have all the details. When I suggested they must know enough to increase the prices in May, they didn't respond. I was also told they are only testing in Europe and don't do them in the Caribbean! Is this true?

They didn't know what the website was referring to when saying '....other terms and conditions may apply..' :mad: Can anyone suggest where the small print is for me to find out?

I also enquire if the packages could be used immediately on embarkation and was told yes. I also asked about being in port in Barcelona on embarkation - a subject mentioned on the forum last year but

a) if the bars would be open on embarkation

b) if port taxes were applied at that point

c) how that affected package (and single drink) prices

I was passed to a supervisor who eventually after going round in circles they said they would email the ship - we are due on the Solstice in the Med in September - and then email me the response. I have no confidence of getting a sensible answer. The operators seem to be trained to say - its all on the website, don't have any idea how the packages work and make it up as they go along.

Would contacting Celebrity USA be a better way to get answers or as we are travelling in the Med should I try Celebrity UK again and hope for a more informed operator??

I really think the alcoholic package would make a great gift but don't want to find its an embarrassing waste of money.

A lots of discussion and prices on this forum seem to be based on prices and info from last year and I would be grateful if anyone could give a much more recent view.

Sorry for more questions but packages are a considered purchase and really would like to know exactly how they work.

Thanks in advance for ideas and experienced answers.

Starlight Cruiser

....I enquired about the non alcoholic packages and was told '...its all on the website' When I said it didn't explain what the difference was between the premium coffee on the Classic package and Speciality on the Premium was. They said premium was capps, latte and expresso and that speciality was alcoholic additions!! What part of non-alcoholic didn't they understand....

There is a lot of confusion about the coffee's included in each package. The bottom line is that there is a disconnect between the ship and corporate/customer service on this because there is no definition for "specialty coffee". This is discussed from time to time on this thread and on other postings on this forum. Here is a comment I posted earlier in this thread:

The subject of what is a "specialty coffee" has actually been the subject of many discussions here on cruise critic. Celebrity even has an FAQ (click here) on the question which indicates that the specialty coffees for the non-alcoholic package include alcohol which not only doesn't make sense but I know cruisers who have found that the alcoholic coffee drinks were not included on their non-alcoholic packages despite the FAQ on the web site. No one seems to know for sure what a "specialty coffee" is nor how it differs from a "premium coffee". I suspect that it was just a term made up by some marketing person who wrote the copy for the beverage package descriptions and that no one at Celebrity really knows what this means. In other words a complete disconnect from the ships on this. I'm guessing the FAQ came up because at one point the term "specialty coffee" was used to describe coffee drinks, like Irish Coffee, on coupons given to some Captains Club members for use at the specialty restuarants, but I don't think it was what the marketing people creating the non-alcoholic beverage packages had in mind.

The bottom line is that either package will get you all the standard espresso based coffee drinks on the menu such as espresso, latte, cappuccino, etc. There are a few more expensive ones (with gelato or other ingredients) on the menu and it is unclear if these are included in both packages or not. Also, as I mention above, I wouldn't count on getting alcoholic coffee drinks on a non-alcholic package as some friends of ours were refused on this.

I'll also add that there has always been some bars open on the ship on embarkation afternoon including the coffee bar.

Edited by Lsimon

I've bought the classical pkg for my upcoming 12-night med cruise in Sept. Still on the fence about it but lately I start to think about the water and coffees and juices and realize that if I get 4 bottles of water a day (for ports and for cabin)@ $2.50 each, plus 1 prem coffee @ $4 each, plus alcohol drinks at night (usually 4 x $7 avg each = one pre-dinner cocktail, 2 glasses of wine with dinner, 1 post-dinner cocktail) then I'm ahead (I bought in at $39 per day). On sea days, I'll probably have more to drink (alcohol and non-alcohol).

So, even though the $528 per person looks high now all at once, I think I may come out even or ahead. At this point, I think it makes sense to keep it.

I have read that Celebrity does read these boards so why can the not just post a specific statement on the drinks packages including a clear sentence on the Coffee issue.

They appeared to have listened to thier customers on the advertising issue a couple of months ago and ditched a campaign slogan on the feedback from these boards ,so they can and should come clean about speciality coffee's etc.

Scotslizzy

I spoke to Celebrity UK yesterday to try and clarify some answers about the various drinks packages as I may want to purchase one as a gift and was appalled at their replies.

I enquired about the non alcoholic packages and was told '...its all on the website' When I said it didn't explain what the difference was between the premium coffee on the Classic package and Speciality on the Premium was. They said premium was capps, latte and expresso and that speciality was alcoholic additions!! What part of non-alcoholic didn't they understand.

I also tried to find out about how they decide on what is one drink and what is two ie. you can have a Bacardi and Coke or a Vodka and Sprite as one drink. They said if you have the Classic alcoholic package and if you want Brandy with your expresso or capp. etc and order it at the bar thats 2 drinks (why can you have a soda but not a coffee as a combined drink??). However if you are in the MDR and order a capp. from your food waiter and a brandy from your bar waiter then you can pour one into the other (can you imagine the mess??!!) if you want to. Surely this can't be correct??:confused:

When I said that seemed inconvenient and messy I was told perhaps if I was picky then the packages might not be for us. Also was implied depended on how much you really wanted to drink - the cheek to want a cocktail before dinner, one with the meal and ohh the excess of a brandy with coffee - surely I am a lush!! :rolleyes:

Also the first operator (who kept putting me on hold while she asked various collegues who had been on a Celebrity cruise and bought a package) said they were still testing out the packages so they didn't have all the details. When I suggested they must know enough to increase the prices in May, they didn't respond. I was also told they are only testing in Europe and don't do them in the Caribbean! Is this true?

They didn't know what the website was referring to when saying '....other terms and conditions may apply..' :mad: Can anyone suggest where the small print is for me to find out?

I also enquire if the packages could be used immediately on embarkation and was told yes. I also asked about being in port in Barcelona on embarkation - a subject mentioned on the forum last year but

a) if the bars would be open on embarkation

b) if port taxes were applied at that point

c) how that affected package (and single drink) prices

I was passed to a supervisor who eventually after going round in circles they said they would email the ship - we are due on the Solstice in the Med in September - and then email me the response. I have no confidence of getting a sensible answer. The operators seem to be trained to say - its all on the website, don't have any idea how the packages work and make it up as they go along.

Would contacting Celebrity USA be a better way to get answers or as we are travelling in the Med should I try Celebrity UK again and hope for a more informed operator??

I really think the alcoholic package would make a great gift but don't want to find its an embarrassing waste of money.

A lots of discussion and prices on this forum seem to be based on prices and info from last year and I would be grateful if anyone could give a much more recent view.

Sorry for more questions but packages are a considered purchase and really would like to know exactly how they work.

Thanks in advance for ideas and experienced answers.

Starlight Cruiser

This scenario that the people at Celebrity UK are talking about would never happen on a ship.

You are not going to have to order the ingredients of your coffee drink piecemeal and assemble it yourself at the table.

this is a perfect example of the disconnect between the peopl in customer service both UK and US and the people on the ship.

If a mairtre 'd saw you pouring shots of brady into your coffeee because you had been refused the combo heads would be rolling all over the dining room......

I have had the package and I ordered three drinks at once....and I knew before I bought it that there might be an issue and that I might have to speak to a maitre 'd on the ship to get what I wanted.

At brunch I wanted a mimosa, bottled water and a cappuchino.... sounds like a lot...but it is what I want at brunch!!!!!

When I placed the order with the waiter I saw the look of fear and dread on his face....I knew he did not want to say no....but I understand they have their marching orders......

I said to him "I know you have been told only one drink at a time, but I like to have water, coffeee and mimosa on the table at once." Since I'm gonna sit at the table and drink all three I didn't see a problem with it....I'm not going to be forced to drink my cappuchino before I can have any water...that is ridiculous. And that is not the spirit of the rule......... But I knew this guy doesn't want to get in trouble...I told him to go talk to a supervisor so he wasn't scared to do it..... While he was talking to the supervisor a Sommolier comes by and I explain what is going on and I'm not mad because I understand the waiter has to go through channels....and before I could turn my head the mimosa and water were on the table and he was motioning for the waiter to get my cappuchino....... end of story. The sommoliers understand a little more about the way people drink multiple beverages than the guy walking around with the coffee pitcher...... you just might haver to be a little flexible if you get that terrified stare......

I never had to explain myself to the maitre 'd. I had a large pellegrino on my table every night when I sat and the wine came the second I sat down....so there is no problem ordering two drinks at once for your consumption simulataneously......

The problem is more around the pool or if you are taking the drinks to go elsewhere like back to your room...they are not going to let you walk off with two drinks....

The package is not going to be an embarassing waste of money....it is going to be a great present.......

Edited by cherylroslyn

Sounds like you had a great :cool: time .................De Dah:D Or an incomer?

Seriously though would we be right in thinking ;

that you get your glass at dinner refilled as often on the package as you would if you had the bottle in front of you ?

As we usually go for the odd G&T (or 3)and 1 bottle of wine we are reconsidering the whole package 'mullarky'. As you say you deffo drink more than you would if you were paying drink by drink.

we usually bring our own soda/water and wine. i feel like i would have to drink to get my monies worth. i will have to think about it. 4 alcoholic drinks a day is fine for me so not sure if it is worth it.

I uusaully bring my own water and soda too but this time embarking in Barcelona for a 12 day cruise and would rather not worry about the logistics of purchasing and bringing on board all that ! We'll see how the bev pkg pans out for us!

I uusaully bring my own water and soda too but this time embarking in Barcelona for a 12 day cruise and would rather not worry about the logistics of purchasing and bringing on board all that ! We'll see how the bev pkg pans out for us!

You can buy bottles water in the cruise terminal at Barcelona. Possibly soda too but I didn't pay attention to that.

Hi, I wondered what security is on the card if you buy a package. Is it linked to your cabin with photo? Then if you lose it, it can be returned?

While the info on the card identifies you as a package holder the true info is in the ship's computer. The substance of the card, as far as the ship goes, is that it includes the info to unlock your cabin and your folio number which ties into the ship's computer. When you get a drink they still ring it up and the ship's computer identifies your folio number as having the beverage package and it is rung up at a no charge because of this - you'll see all your drinks on your bill at 0.00 each.

At least some of the ship's computers/registers show your picture - I believe the ones at customer relations do I don't know about the bars.

If you lose your card and get a replacement they will cancel your old folio number and key information and generate new ones for the replacement card so that someone attempting to use your old card will be unable to open your door, charge to your account or use your package.

Hopefully someone will come back from a cruise and give us the answer to what a specialty coffee is.

Laura

The Specialty Coffee is any of the coffees from the coffee cafe that you would pay for. Like the ones from Starbucks or Peets. It is better coffee than the coffee that is free.