Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

In the past this has not been an issue as long as they have both sea cards.

However, Celebrity has just issued a policy change that husbands will no longer be allowed to get drinks to carry back to the cabin. Only wives will be able to do this in the future. So unfortunately you will not be able to send your husband to the bar or the coffee shop to get drinks. But it will be no problem for you to go and get them.

Will you please remind your husband that he owes me $50.

LOL!

:D :D

That's what husbands are for isn't it?

However, Celebrity has just issued a policy change that husbands will no longer be allowed to get drinks to carry back to the cabin. Only wives will be able to do this in the future. So unfortunately you will not be able to send your husband to the bar or the coffee shop to get drinks. But it will be no problem for you to go and get them.

hahaha.......nice try! :D

Thanks Crazy Cruzer, I'm certain he will be ecstatic about this new policy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh and by the way, your check is in the mail :o)

Edited by fninsn

Has anyone had any success canceling a prepaid beverage package onboard?

Reason I asked is that I am sailing (hopefully) on the Summit Monday. I prepaid for 1 premium and 1 classic package back in May before the prices went up. I also prepaid a Normandie reservation and gratuities as we are in select dining. We will now have shipboard credit from Celebrity for the cruise delay (already had some from TA too) and really have nothing to use it on. With the shortened cruise and OBC, I would rather just pay as we go for drinks now.

My TA called Celebrity yesterday to cancel the drink packages (it was 4 days prior to new cruise date) and she was told they couldn't cancel them because they were no longer in their system and released to the ship already.

I would appreciate any suggestions/insights you guys could offer. Thanks!

Considering a beverage package and hope someone can provide information....

What I understand is any of the beverage package allows for unlimited drinks within the list allowed by the pkg like a bar brand liquor (classic) vs. call brand liquor (premium). If you break it down, you would have to drink more than 7 drinks per day to break even.

Does anyone think they got their money's worth?

How do they control the "can't be shared" rule?

Maybe I'll just have to become an alcoholic for the week :D

Considering a beverage package and hope someone can provide information....

What I understand is any of the beverage package allows for unlimited drinks within the list allowed by the pkg like a bar brand liquor (classic) vs. call brand liquor (premium). If you break it down, you would have to drink more than 7 drinks per day to break even.

Does anyone think they got their money's worth?

How do they control the "can't be shared" rule?

Maybe I'll just have to become an alcoholic for the week :D

Remember to factor in the non alcoholic drinks such as coffee, water and juices. You can soon tot up the daily package price.

We drank too much and don't think we would have it again for that reason, but if you can manage it, it is very good value. You can have almost anything and as much of it as you want.

They know who's sharing!

Part of the fun is sitting together at the Martini bar and sampling the delicious drinks. You couldn't do that if you were sharing.

Are the prices on the first post still correct?

Am I correct in thinking the following are the only free drinks?:

Tea

Coffee

Lemonade

Fruit punch

Tap water

Anything else?

If that's about it, I definitely need something!

Just to recap, no extra charge beverages:

Tap water, Brewed coffee (regular and decaf), instant coffee (taster's choice regular and decaf), Tea (good selection of about 8 or more popular tea blends including green, mint, etc), hot coca (Nestles instant mix), Milk (regular, chocolate and skim), juices, iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch.

All of these items are available in any dining area or from room service. They are available 24/7 from room service and from beverage stations in the buffet area although some items are not available at all times in the buffet: Some milks are only available during meals in the buffet and the dispensers used for juices during breakfast times are used for iced tea, lemonade and punch at other times.

For the most part there is an extra charge for any alcoholic, carbonated, or bottled beverage. Also most bars and lounges charge for any beverages served there. There are upscale versions of many no-extra-charge beverages available which do cost extra such as espresso based coffees, organic teas, bottled water, fresh sqeezed OJ, etc.

Just to recap, no extra charge beverages:

Tap water, Brewed coffee (regular and decaf), instant coffee (taster's choice regular and decaf), Tea (good selection of about 8 or more popular tea blends including green, mint, etc), hot coca (Nestles instant mix), Milk (regular, chocolate and skim), juices, iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch.

All of these items are available in any dining area or from room service. They are available 24/7 from room service and from beverage stations in the buffet area although some items are not available at all times in the buffet: Some milks are only available during meals in the buffet and the dispensers used for juices during breakfast times are used for iced tea, lemonade and punch at other times.

For the most part there is an extra charge for any alcoholic, carbonated, or bottled beverage. Also most bars and lounges charge for any beverages served there. There are upscale versions of many no-extra-charge beverages available which do cost extra such as espresso based coffees, organic teas, bottled water, fresh sqeezed OJ, etc.

thanks for the good overview. I really think I'll need a beverage package, drinking tap water on a ship isn't very appealing!

Thank you for the beverage list. My wife and I will be first time cruisers in November. Celebrity Eclipse, Aqua Spa Level. Anyway this helps a great deal. Anyone know if they offer a special price for a beverage package when you get on a the boat?

Thank you for the beverage list. My wife and I will be first time cruisers in November. Celebrity Eclipse, Aqua Spa Level. Anyway this helps a great deal. Anyone know if they offer a special price for a beverage package when you get on a the boat?

Packages are the same price on the boat. However, if you are unsure if the package is right for you or not you can wait a day or so after your cruise begins to make a decision. If you buy the package after the beginning of the cruise the price is pro-rated for the remaining nights. At some point it becomes unavailable but I don't think it is an issue within the first couple of days.

This thread has such a massive amount of information and some of it is contradictory - which for newbie cruisers adds to the fog of Celebrity's own scant information.

So apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I have hacked back through 15 of the 65 pages and can't follow what people are recommending!

a) We are considering the room package at $80 for a seven night trip - the web site seems to indicate that this is the fee for a single bottle of one branded item (for example a single bottle of Baileys). Is this correct. At home such a bottle would cost around $20 max.

b) Do we share that bottle between us?

c) what is meant by adding mixers to it - we'd hardly want anything in our Baileys because it is nice on its own. Is that were the mark up comes from?

d) Is it $80 again if we add a bottle of something else? Getting very very expensive compared with land prices.

e) what happens if we also have an alcohol package? Does this mean we show some sort of chitty to the waiter/bar person and we get each drink for free all around the ship.

f) I've understood that the basics of tea/coffee/juice is free all day every day but I've seen someone post that they were charged for the glasses - what is that all about?

g) There are lists on the site about drink prices by the glass (I presume) with beer about $4 but then there's some confusion over whether these lists are for Celebrity cruises or for some other shipping line

h) We are relying on you experienced Celebrity cruisers to guide us - we're likely to have two drinks each evening in our cabin and maybe wine with dinner (2 glasses each) and a cocktail later (Pina Collada perhaps) - are we better paying as we go or getting a package?

i) Finally there also seems confusion on the threads about bringing your own drinks on board. Is that permitted and can you keep them in your cabin fridge?

Thanks everyone for your indulgence and sorry if you feel you have addressed all this elsewhere.

This thread has such a massive amount of information and some of it is contradictory - which for newbie cruisers adds to the fog of Celebrity's own scant information.

So apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I have hacked back through 15 of the 65 pages and can't follow what people are recommending!

a) We are considering the room package at $80 for a seven night trip - the web site seems to indicate that this is the fee for a single bottle of one branded item (for example a single bottle of Baileys). Is this correct. At home such a bottle would cost around $20 max.

Yes this is correct you get a single bottle. You are paying cruise/resort/bar type prices and, unfortunately, you can not compare these prices to what you pay in a retail store. Comparing to retail just makes you upset and feel overcharged. But the prices are reasonable in relation to bar/restaurant prices or what most resort or hotels would charge for room service.

The stateroom setup can be shared between anyone as you are buying the bottle to do whatever you'd like with. It is the unlimited drink packages for drinks at bars, lounges and dining areas which can not be shared as these are priced per person.

c) what is meant by adding mixers to it - we'd hardly want anything in our Baileys because it is nice on its own. Is that were the mark up comes from?

It includes a 6 pack of soda type mixers of your choice. I realize this might not make sense for Bailey's but it is geared towards other spirits (vodka, gin, whisky, etc)

d) Is it $80 again if we add a bottle of something else? Getting very very expensive compared with land prices.

Yes. But again you can not compare to retail land prices. For better or worse the sale of alcoholic beverages is a primary revenue and income source for the cruise ship which is why they price and control accordingly. This is standard practice for the cruise industry.

e) what happens if we also have an alcohol package? Does this mean we show some sort of chitty to the waiter/bar person and we get each drink for free all around the ship.

The Classic and Premium unlimited beverage packages are sold per person and tied to your ship account for each person's ship card (seapass). When you order a drink the card will be checked and there will be no additional charge if it is included in the package. You're not drinking for free you are paying a substantial fixed price in advance. You have the option of foregoing the package and paying as you go by the glass or bottle.

f) I've understood that the basics of tea/coffee/juice is free all day every day but I've seen someone post that they were charged for the glasses - what is that all about?

There is a large selection of no-extra charge non-alcoholic beverages included in your cruise price. (See posting on this by clicking here) There are a lot of upscale versions of these beverages available for an extra charge including more premium versions, bottled beverages and carbonated beverages. A given item is either no-extra-charge or an extra charge upscale/premium item.

h) We are relying on you experienced Celebrity cruisers to guide us - we're likely to have two drinks each evening in our cabin and maybe wine with dinner (2 glasses each) and a cocktail later (Pina Collada perhaps) - are we better paying as we go or getting a package?

If you are at all unsure then just wait until you are on board. There is no reason to decide and purchase in advance. You can check things out for a day, charging items ala carte to your ship account, and then if you feel you would be better off with a package you can purchase it on board and pay a price pro-rated for the remaining nights of the cruise. This way you can balance the prices with your actual consumption and also determine if the no-extra-charge non-alcoholic items are sufficient for you or not. I've looked extensively into the drink packages and evaluated them based on my past cruise spending and found that they don't work for me even through I thought my past bills were relatively large. Others feel the packages are perfect for them. BTW - when we first started cruising we were haveing evening before dinner drinks in our cabin and quickly discovered we much perferred the lounges around the ship for many different reasons including how easy it is to socialize with your fellow cruisers. These days we only rarely have a little wine in our cabin and the two bottles we bring on board covers that need for the most part.

i) Finally there also seems confusion on the threads about bringing your own drinks on board. Is that permitted and can you keep them in your cabin fridge?

You are allowed to bring any non-alcoholic beverages you'd like on board. The only alcoholic beverages allowed to be brought on are two bottles of wine per stateroom. Some people smuggle other alcoholic items on board but if caught the bottles will be confiscated and might be destroyed. There is a fridge type cooler (not as cold as a regular fridge) in your cabin used for the mini-bar but you can store a couple items in it and even ask your cabin steward to remove some items to make more room for your own.

Edited by Lsimon

[

Yes. But again you can not compare to retail land prices. For better or worse the sale of alcoholic beverages is a primary revenue and income source for the cruise ship which is why they price and control accordingly. This is standard practice for the cruise industry.

Hi,

We had the Stateroom bar set up - litter bottle of vodka. We had around 20 drinks - approx 5ml per serving + tonic water.

The bar price for a Vodka+Tonic was $7 * 20 = $140. Worth it on the basis of this comparison.

Jim

Yes this is correct you get a single bottle. You are paying cruise/resort/bar type prices and, unfortunately, you can not compare these prices to what you pay in a retail store. Comparing to retail just makes you upset and feel overcharged. But the prices are reasonable in relation to bar/restaurant prices or what most resort or hotels would charge for room service.

The stateroom setup can be shared between anyone as you are buying the bottle to do whatever you'd like with. It is the unlimited drink packages for drinks at bars, lounges and dining areas which can not be shared as these are priced per person.

It includes a 6 pack of soda type mixers of your choice. I realize this might not make sense for Bailey's but it is geared towards other spirits (vodka, gin, whisky, etc)

The Classic and Premium unlimited beverage packages are sold per person and tied to your ship account for each person's ship card (seapass). When you order a drink the card will be checked and there will be no additional charge if it is included in the package. You're not drinking for free you are paying a substantial fixed price in advance. You have the option of foregoing the package and paying as you go by the glass or bottle.

There is a large selection of no-extra charge non-alcoholic beverages included in your cruise price. (See posting on this by clicking here) There are a lot of upscale versions of these beverages available for an extra charge including more premium versions, bottled beverages and carbonated beverages. A given item is either no-extra-charge or an extra charge upscale/premium item.

If you are at all unsure then just wait until you are on board. There is no reason to decide and purchase in advance. You can check things out for a day, charging items ala carte to your ship account, and then if you feel you would be better off with a package you can purchase it on board and pay a price pro-rated for the remaining nights of the cruise. This way you can balance the prices with your actual consumption and also determine if the no-extra-charge non-alcoholic items are sufficient for you or not. I've looked extensively into the drink packages and evaluated them based on my past cruise spending and found that they don't work for me even through I thought my past bills were relatively large. Others feel the packages are perfect for them. BTW - when we first started cruising we were haveing evening before dinner drinks in our cabin and quickly discovered we much perferred the lounges around the ship for many different reasons including how easy it is to socialize with your fellow cruisers. These days we only rarely have a little wine in our cabin and the two bottles we bring on board covers that need for the most part.

You are allowed to bring any non-alcoholic beverages you'd like on board. The only alcoholic beverages allowed to be brought on are two bottles of wine per stateroom. Some people smuggle other alcoholic items on board but if caught the bottles will be confiscated and might be destroyed. There is a fridge type cooler (not as cold as a regular fridge) in your cabin used for the mini-bar but you can store a couple items in it and even ask your cabin steward to remove some items to make more room for your own.

Wow! This reply is wonderful - very clear and extremely helpful. It matches our muddled situation perfectly. So we will basically wait and see and in the meantime select two bottles of wine for our cabin! Thanks to the respondents on this, very much appreciated.

Hi, Did Celebrity change the package and are charging 15% gratuity at the end of your cruise? Friends just got off the Equinox and said they were charged 15% over and above the package rate. When i sailed last year i believe gratuities were included.

I'd also love to know about the 15% gratuity. My other question is if the drink prices at the beginning of the thread have increased. I'm assuming yes since they are from last year, but if anyone knows for sure, would love to hear.

Thanks,

Kristen

Hi, Did Celebrity change the package and are charging 15% gratuity at the end of your cruise? Friends just got off the Equinox and said they were charged 15% over and above the package rate. When i sailed last year i believe gratuities were included.

I have already paid the 15% gratuity, but we don't sail until November 20, 2011. I can assure you, I will not be paying another 15% gratuity for my beverage package at the end of our cruise. They should ask for a refund!

I have already paid the 15% gratuity, but we don't sail until November 20, 2011. I can assure you, I will not be paying another 15% gratuity for my beverage package at the end of our cruise. They should ask for a refund!

Nothing extra was added to my premium alcohol package at the end of our Solstice cruise last week. I'm glad I prepaid for it in Sterling too.

Peter