Must have food on land tours

Duck Whisperer

Doing the land tour (Fairbanks to Whittier-5 days) before our cruise, all through Princess. The missus and I are wanting to not go nuts on food while on land, since it's on our dime...

BUT..

...is there anything we MUST try, or restauarant we MUST hit. Muskox, Reindeer, other "wild" game?

We'll be at the normal Princess places/lodges - Fairbanks somewhere???? /Princess Wilderness Lodge in Denali / Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge near Talkeetna / Anchorage-Whittier.

In my experience the food at the Princess lodges is as good as anything nearby, and not a total ripoff. We enjoyed good meals at McKinley, Denali, and their lodge in Fairbanks (great bar at that one, I might add). Lots of people venture to "glitter gulch" at Denali. But, my experience was that the Princess eateries were better and priced at no more $$$. Note that prices will be somewhat higher than in the lower 48. But, not really too bad.

We had two fabulous meals in Talkeetna....Supper was at the Wildflower Cafe where we had the stuffed Halibut. Actually enough for my hubby and I to split the meal. Breakfast the next morning was at the Roadhouse.....locals eat here. If I had to chose just one place, I would repeat the Wildflower Cafe....hands down!!! I didn't think we would ever go back to Alaska (been home a month) however my husband is already wanting to plan our next trip!:) Have a great trip!!!

While you might find reindeer (caribou) stew available in or around Denali (which is good btw) the most WILD Alaskan food I ever had was seal stew on St.Paul island in the Pribiloff chain. I can still remember the taste & texture of it & it was surprisingly good:) It was strange though after being guided to the seal rookeries & taking pics of these animals to find out @ the dining hall that evening that my photo subjects were on the menu-strange indeed!

Archived