Pre-Cruise in Miami

ToadStar

I am planning my honeymoon and have the cruise all set - we are doing the Western itinerary on the Carnival Valor 5/8/11. As this is a Sunday departure I am planning on us flying in on 5/5/11 (Thursday) morning so we can enjoy Miami and Miami nightlife as neither us have ever been. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we should stay and places we should definately visit? I do not need something totally upscale and posh, but as this is our honeymoon so I don't want an econolodge either... I would like a nice room, continental breakfast (even if I have to pay a seperate fee), and a nice pool. I don't want to have to rent a car, but I will if I must so that we can do beaches and what not. I think I may prefer being closer to port unless there is something closer to what we want to do precruise (beaches and night clubs) that is far better than anything we could find close to port. I will be using priceline (or similar) and looking to be under $150/night. Thanks in adavance. :-)

Todd, Congrats. Stay in South Beach aka as Miami Beach, where the beaches are. Hotels in all ranges on Ocean Drive and Collins. Pull up trip Advisor for both hundreds of reader hotel reviews and area tourist info on Miami Beach forum.You are prob. in shoulder season; dont need to pay a fortune.Best area below 20th St Alot of small deco hotels. No car needed.

You should get a good rate in South Beach. Definitely stay in that area.

I'd use hotwire or travelzoo and not book yet. If you haven't used priceline or hotwire you have time to figure out the hotels being used and how to bid. easyclicktravel is another good site.

I agree with the South Beach suggestions. Even if you fly into FLL instead of MIA, go to South Beach; ride takes about 40 minutes - SAS shuttle service can get you to your hotel for about $15 each, then just cab from your hotel to the port of Miami for your cruise.

Another good source of Miami Beach hotel and dining info, from a regular contributor to these boards, is Blue Heron's blog:

http://blueheronsmiamiinformation.blogspot.com/

Congratulations and good luck with your cruise!:)

I agree, you'll be happiest in Miami Beach. The downtown area is fine for one night, but you'll quickly discover that there's not much there-there, to paraphrase Gertrude Stein.

South Beach sounds like a great place for a young couple, but the hotels are spendy and the rooms are small.

Fountainebleau is mid-way between South Beach and Lincoln Rd. Rather quiet stretch of Collins Blvd, but the property is lovely, with gorgeous pools and a restaurant with a floor show (Tropigala.)

I hear wonderful things about the Sagamore and it's close to my favorite place on the Beach, Lincoln Rd. Lincoln Rd is an outdoor pedestrian mall. Blocks and blocks of little shops, cafes, restaurants, etc. Wonderful people watching. See all the great dogs. Have your fortune told. Go to Brown & Co and buy an exotic hand cream.

Take a cab down to South Beach if you want to go clubbing. Another fun thing to do is to go to Epicure for a picnic lunch and take it across the street to the beach.

You'll have a blast and Mazel-Tov!

Archived