Ladies, ever try vest in place of purse?

LindaKE

I hate fanny packs, but use a walker when traveling (can't walk long distances) so don't feel comfortable carrying a purse or putting it in the walker's basket. Travel Smith has a nylon-poly vest with 14 pockets, "including security pockets". Has anyone tried distributing your must-haves in pockets of a vest instead of carrying a purse? On cruises, I don't carry all the stuff I normally would have in a purse, so I'm wondering if the vest would work.

I've never thought to use a vest. I normally use an across the body bag from Vera Bradley. I have a small one that holds id and a camera. And a larger one for my larger camera.

She also makes a small one that can be looped on a belt so that might work for you.

I did get a travel vest, but I only used it at one of the ports.

In general, I just wear a small back-pack. I can throw my towel, sunscreen, camera and snorkel gear into that.

This past cruise, I also used a travel wallet I purchased on-line. It has a long, adjustable chord so it can be worn over the shoulder. It was just large enough to hold my small digital camera, some cash and my ship's card. I really found this handy for around the ship, where I wouldn't be wearing the back-pack. Made me wonder how I ever lived without it!

I hate fanny packs, but use a walker when traveling (can't walk long distances) so don't feel comfortable carrying a purse or putting it in the walker's basket. Travel Smith has a nylon-poly vest with 14 pockets, "including security pockets". Has anyone tried distributing your must-haves in pockets of a vest instead of carrying a purse? On cruises, I don't carry all the stuff I normally would have in a purse, so I'm wondering if the vest would work.

I too use a walker . For important essential such money credit cards, ID etc , I use a very light weight Vera Bradley Cross Shoulder bag called the Mini Hipster. At time I also use a very light weight money pouch . They come in both waist pouches or neck pouches. All other items I place in a tote bag in the walker basket.

Depending on the ports the vest could become hot and cumbersome.

I use a vest frequently. Got in the habit of doing it when my leg was very badly injured and I had to give up carrying a purse.

Yes, TravelSmith has a vest for women, but I prefer the ones that Magellans.com has. Much better thought out. I also have one made by a company called Scottevest.

I back to walking on 2 feet (after over 16 months of effort) and can carry a purse, but depend on a travel vest when traveling to cut down on the risk of pickpockets.

Very easy at the TSA in airports as I just take off the vest and put it in a bin.

I love my travel vest from Magellans. I cant put a snack bar, credit card, memory card/battery for camera in vest. I enjoy being free of carrying a purse or day pack.

Now to decide if vest will be appropriate for AK cruise excursions. It will be another layer, but maybe not warm enough for extra layer? Your thoughts?

On day cruise out of Seward, I found sweatshirt, vest and unlined windbreaker provided adequate warmth. It was pretty chilly on the deck. That is a lot of layers, but worked for me. I don't know if that will be enough on AK cruise when we are up close/personal with glaciers.

Last month, I went on a cruise and used a travel vest for the first time. However, I ended up using it only at the airports as it was way too hot and humid in the Caribbean to wear it. I carried in it a small wallet, 3 passports, 3 boarding passes, 2 packs of chewing gum, a pen and a carabiner watch. If you wear a travel vest at the airport, do not forget to take it off before going through security. The vest can trigger the alarm!

On the ship, I just carried my seapass and my lip balm in one of my pants' zippered pockets. At the ports, my small wallet was also in my pants' zippered pocket and the rest was in a small backpack along with a bottle of water, towels, sunscreen, etc.

I will definitively use my vest for traveling in the future but only where it is not too warm. I like having my hands free!

Yes, TravelSmith has a vest for women, but I prefer the ones that Magellans.com has. Much better thought out. I also have one made by a company called Scottevest.

Penny,

Is this the vest you're talking about? http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_for_Women___Outerwear___BlazersMV128?Args=

or this one? http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_for_Women___Outerwear___BlazersMV954B?Args=

Another: http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_for_Women___Outerwear___BlazersWV003?Args=

One more: http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_for_Women___Outerwear___BlazersWV001?Args=

I'm so glad you're doing so much better!

Thanks!

I have a vest which I wore at Walt Disney World (it was very cold while we were there). It would be great for a shore excursion except in the Caribbean, I would find the extra layer too hot.

Number 1 is the Scottevest. Great for carrying techo gear but fits small. I had a hard time getting a fit on a Scottevest and had to order a much larger size.

Number 2 is like what I have and enjoy using

Number 3 is fine as well.

Number 4 is only available in a size small.

The vest really helped me with balance issues as a purse seemed to put me off balance. You have to live it to understand that.

For techno gear I always have an iPhone and related gear, a small camera, a monocular and an assortment of odd bits. I also have a small wallet, my passport, tissues, a coin purse, a couple of snack bars, a first aid kit and my usual run of keys and key cards. Plastic bags to protect my techo gear if it rains and a cheap poncho. Plenty of room for all that. And I don't look foolish.

TravelSmith has a very slim line vest that is just market down in price, but it doesn't have enough pockets and likely wouldn't fit me anyway.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I prefer an across the body, lightweight purse. I purposely use one on the smaller side so I can't overload it and carry more things than I really need.

Just my personal choice, but I'm not a fan of the vests. I can imagine the weight in all those pockets could give me sore shoulders or back.

Archived