Docked in ports question...(probably a dumb one)

Persnickety

So...I feel dumb for asking this but I've never been on a cruise before and after trolling the first timers boards with no luck I'm gonna have to ask this one myself...:o

Once you get off the ship in a port, can you get back on and off again as you please or do they get cranky about that?

The reason I'm asking is I'm considering a snorkeling tour in Nassau but would like to go to the Straw Market before hand as the tour doesn't start till 10:30, so I'd like to be able to drop off any purchases on the ship before the snorkeling tour.

I know it's a dumb question so flame away if you must! :)

Cheers

Persnickety

You can get on and off at will. People start getting off as soon as the ship is cleared. You can book all the tours off ship for a fraction of what the cruise lines charge. You will see the tour people lined up when you get off and they are wanting to make a deal. Same people as the cruise lines use, just not the charge from the ship. Just make sure you have good a.c. Make sure the vans have the rear air or it will get hot. You can research all the places in the ports so you will know what you want to do.

Mary

You certainly can get on and off whenever you want. If it happens to be a port where you're tendered ... where the ship is anchored well off shore and you're transported to shore in smaller craft ...

obviously you'd have to time your coming and going with when tenders are available.

DO pay attention to when you need to be back on board at the end of your stay at that port. You need to be back on board at least 30 minutes before the ship is due to set sail, and if you're NOT back on board, they can leave without you! The time when you have to be back on board will be posted, usually at the door where you're getting off, and in your daily newsletter, and sometimes announced during the day that you're in port.

But otherwise, you can come and go as you please..come back on board and get lunch or a snack, have a nap, head out again, whatever.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much for the replies, it eases my mind quite a bit knowing we can come and go as we please.

I've been reading alot on the port of call boards and decided on a few tours to book independently of the cruiseline, making sure we'd be finished in plenty of time.

Operafan - Thanks and Giorgi thanks you for the compliment :)

Mary, Paul & Uppity - Thanks for the replies and suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Cheers

Persnickety

make note of how long it takes to get from the ship to where you are going, some places are a much longer trip back to the ship (Nassau is easy), and don't forget your ship card and picture ID (you don't have to have your passport, drivers license is fine).

Have a great trip.

Beverly

make note of how long it takes to get from the ship to where you are going, some places are a much longer trip back to the ship (Nassau is easy), and don't forget your ship card and picture ID (you don't have to have your passport, drivers license is fine).

Have a great trip.

Beverly

I second this...some of the walks are long down the pier, so it may take you a while to walk back and forth...but it's pretty easy to come and go.

You don't even need to leave the ship at all until the last day. Some people repeat cruises as they love a specific ship, or there's a favorite port, but may not be fond of all the stops on their itinerary.

Just remember whenever you leave the ship to have the proper ID, the day's newsletter (has important info as to when to be back onboard and also the port agent contact info). Also, double check your watch against ship's time, as every once in a while, as the ship may be on a different time than local time.

Hey guys, I just found out I messed up. I didn't realize you couldn't mention a travel site. They told me that isn't permitted. So, just for anyone that doesn't know, that is a no no. I was just trying to help someone new, so I guess the key is just look everywhere.

Check your watch against ship time to make sure you allow plenty of time. Don't do what my son-in-law did and make his last stop at a bar. He had plenty of time and decided to try out some of the local beer. After a few, the time was a little more fuzzy and remembering what time the ship left was also a little fuzzy. He barely staggered back on board before the gangplank was pulled into the ship. He wasn't alone. We watched about 5 others RUNNING toward the ship. There's always a crowd watching on the deck to see if someone gets left behind. My daughter was ready to kill him. He was smelly, drunk, sunburned and late. He hadn't carried any credit cards with him, had about $7 and some change left from his own personal beer tasting tour, no cell phone, no passport and couldn't have met us at the next port either. Since then, she has insisted he take a diving excursion purchased through the ship. Some people cannot be trusted to be responsible when left on their own :o

I know I don't need to reply now that so many have, but yes, you can get off the ship. On. Off. On. Off. As much as you like. I do it all the time. I like to drop my purchases off so I don't have so much to carry.

There is never a dumb question! How else do people learn unless they ask! :)

Hope you have a fantastic vacation!

I know I don't need to reply now that so many have, but yes, you can get off the ship. On. Off. On. Off. As much as you like. I do it all the time. I like to drop my purchases off so I don't have so much to carry.

There is never a dumb question! How else do people learn unless they ask! :)

Hope you have a fantastic vacation!

:) Thanks Princess and everyone else, some great advice in there that I'm taking note of for sure. Last thing I need is to be left at a port :eek:

Bahamas stop will be tight on time so that's the only one I'm sorta worried about but I'm sure we'll work it all out.

Thanks again for the great replies & suggestions :)

Cheers

Persnickety

Archived