Self-Debark on Glory

mnsawyer

We've just booked a cruise on the Glory for April 9th. Our outbound flight out of Orlando is at 11:30 a.m. and realize we'll need to self-debark as well as arrange for Art's Shuttle to pick us up. We are on upper deck. Can anyone give me any idea approximately what time we'll be able to get off the ship? I know it depends on customs, etc. Is the self-debark called all at the same time or by decks like the regular way? Is it called from top to bottom? Also, what deck do we get off the ship? I've read conflicting posts such as empress, main, etc. Also, what about elevators - we'll be close to forward elevator. We know this is going to be a bit stressful but if we plan it correctly, I think we'll be okay.

Also, I have spoken with Art's Shuttle and they are available starting at 8:00 a.m. It's $55 for up to 3 people.

We did the same thing (from the same deck) on Glory in July. If you’re fit, it won’t be a problem.

With self debark you an leave at any point BUT it depends on when customs clears the ship. Keep in mind you have to carry everything off.

First, you need to go all the way forward to get to the forward stair tower (not an issue if your cabin is already forward) then lug your stuff down the stairs. The only elevators that are in use are that forward set and those are (rightfully so) full with passengers that need assistance. So you'll huff your stuff down the stairs to deck three, out along the deck three promenade (the same place you embarked), down some escalators to customs, through customs and into the luggage claim area where they will MAKE you take the one elevator (which has a line) down one level then haul it outside to the busses. Twas not fun.

That being said... 11:30 AM is really early for a flight out... consider the 45-60 minute ride back to Orlando, then the mandatory 60 minute prior to flight check in time... you will have to be totally off the ship and on the bus by 9:30 AM and that will be very close. You also might be unlucky enough to just miss one bus and have to wait 20 minutes or so for them to fill up another one. We had a 1:30 PM flight and we were at the gate a mere 15 minutes before they started boarding.

Interesting to hear people say you can leave any time for self-assist. They made announcements pleading with people not to leave until their deck was called when we returned. That said, Upper Deck (6) was called at 7:40am, so you would be called very early, after only decks 1 and 2.

I also differ on elevator use - you CAN use the elevator, and it was no problem to do so on our ship. You had to wait a few minutes to get one, but it came. When you get into the lobby, you identify yourself by deck and they herd you into one line or the other to snake off the ship and into the building.

If you get called at 7:40 (and that was only 10 minutes after decks 1 and 2 were called), you would be through about 8:00 to 8:30, in your van by 9:00, and to the airport at 10:00. So I think you'll make it, if nothing goes worng. I mean wrong.

Hope this helps a little. We just returned from the Glory on Saturday. We did the self assist. However, we were on deck 9 and the folks that were not self assist were called from deck 9 45 minutes before we left. My dh was very impatient and we left when they called deck 8 self assist. We boarded the elevators, went to the third floor, got into line and began our exit. Everything went smoothly but we did not leave the parking garage until 10:20am. I do not know when they ever called for deck 9 self assist. We had been ready and waiting since 8:00am. (breakfast completed and all). We are not sure self assist is the way to go. Good luck with your flight, we were able to drive to the port.

We're prepared to roll and carry our bags...we are within a few cabins of the forward elevator on the Upper Deck so hopefully, we can take the elevator to the main deck and then go through customs, etc. I would never depend on Carnival transportation since I want to be able to get off the ship and be on our way. Art's Shuttle has indicated that will be the case.

Just got off the Glory on Saturday also.....did the self-assist, was off the ship at 8:15am, in Art's Shuttle van (5 of us) at 8:30am, in the airport and through security by 10:00am.....had an 11:50am flight...no problem at all.

Mikes - you've made my day - am thrilled to hear that your self-debark and Art's shuttle worked out well!! Any tips for us? We're on upper deck near the forward elevator - what time should we be ready to debark? 7:30? Were you able to use the elevator and did you have to haul your luggage a long ways? Did you have to wait for others with Art's shuttle or was that your group?

I wonder going to the purser's desk for early flight tags would get us off at the same time as self-debark. Not having to haul bags would be great but not sure how the early flight departures works in comparison to self-debark. The bottom line is that we need to get off the ship as quickly as we can.

Archived