netbook recommendations

ptcellen

I have a Lenovo S10 (IBM) which I dearly love. I think it costs in the neighborhood of $400. Ordered it direct from Lenovo. They ship for free. My only complaint is that there is no CD. You have to download any programs from outside. You can't just put in the CD and install your programs. I think that is how all the netbooks are. I don't have any experience with anything else, though. (Our daughter works for IBM.)

I can put this in my purse and take it anywhere. The old laptop was just too heavy to take with me.

Doris

While there is the easier to take with you factor, be sure the trade off in how you can view sites, pages and work on documents is comfortable for you. I found the smaller display can be a challenge needing a larger font, manuvering around a document or webpage was quite cumbersome and frustrating. I ended up having to find another solution not a "netbook", the lenovo thinkpad x series. which I love. A bit pricier but worth it.

I'm using my Acer right now and I really like it. But it is a little slower than a laptop and too small to do any major work. I use it mostly for email and surfing, I do some work with it but it is small. None of the netbooks that I could find use CDs.

I have had it for a while and I think I paid around $400.00. It is nice for traveling and very compact.

Linda

I have had an Acer for several years and it is great for cruising. I solved the CD problem by ordering an external from Ebay (less than $20). When I go back to my cabin each day I download pics. organize. eliminate and put in folders. Also do e-mails at leisure that we send at net cafes (can't abide by internet pkgs onboard).

My daughter is looking for one and several "computer" people have recommended Asus. There are several different models available depending upon what you are looking for but try this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L6HD9W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=19MP1VTNGSBD1NWMBCEB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00322PYZO/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

I personally am a Mac girl, but my son is an IT guy and he highly recommends the durability and reliability of the ASUS. I'd never heard of them, thinking he meant Acer. Asus are a bit more expensive but, like Macs, I guess they're worth it.

Nobody's asked the key question here...what are you looking to use it for?

Check work/personal email?

Surf web?

Download pictures off camera?

Watch movies/listen to music?

I love my iPad and you can get the wifi version fairly good price. I see the iPad having 2 big advantages over the average notebook -- it's more portable (so light and compact) and has fantastic battery life. Plus it can be a "kindle" too...can't really curl up and read off a notebook, too clunky.

Anyhow that's my $.02!

Jeff

After lots of research and debating between an iPad and a netbook to take on our cruise next month, I went with a netbook. Hubby has an ipad. I love it for watching shows, the quality of photos on it, and quick response. For any typing other than a sentence or two, the on screen keyboard doesn't work for me.

I was also concerned about investing in a $800 ipad vs $400 netbook and the possibility of it going astray....

I knew as far as a netbook, I wanted an Asus eee, but which one?!?!

Though there was a model with a few more features (exterior less fingerprint prone and backlite key board) I settled on the Asus 1005 PE - PU17 through Costco. Had to order it online (not available in our local warehouse), but it arrived in less than a week.

Advantages of purchasing through Costco:

• 90 day return (to the store if you want)
  • no restocking fee
  • extension of the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years
  • free tech support

I have vision problems (repaired retinal hole that is... well.... not very well repaired) and do not have a problem with the display.

Oh and I love my netbook! Lightweight, great size,quick enough for want I need! :)

We are thinking of purchasing a netbook for our upcoming cruise. Interested in any recommendations. Thank you,:)

My husband and I each bought an "e-machine" mini-laptop or netbook at Wal-Mart for $198.00 each. We have had all kinds of "great" and expensive computers. Desktops, laptops, etc. over the years. We have had IBM, Gateway, Dell, HP, Toshiba and spent thousands and thousands and frankly we got tired of it. We bought these two mini's because they are so cheap, we decided that if they stop working we will just throw them away. We already have portable hard drives that everything is backed up on.

Anyway I took my 200 dollar on my last cruise, in June, and it was great! Once I signed up for an Internet Package I strictly used my mini in our stateroom. That was really nice, I could sit on our balcony and answer our emails etc. while in my pajamas and drinking wine.

It has plenty of memory and plenty of room on the hard drive for us. When we got home we just moved all of our Photos to our "portable hard drive" that we have just for photos. Plus we have all of our photos on Shutterfly so we should not loose any of them. We were gone 2 months, so we had lots of pictures.

So, I hope that I answered your question - I recommened a low cost, mini-laptop. Read the specs they all do the same thing, save your money and do not let the fast talking sales people talk YOUR money our of your pocket.

I wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. My DH wants to use it mainly to download pictures from his camera, check e-mails and surf the web.:)

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Please let us know what you decide and how you like it.

I have two different ASUS models. One runs Linux, the other Windows XP. I actually prefer the Linux machine for travel because it comes up quicker and is far less problem prone.

Both of these are "solid state" with no hard drive (an advantage when traveling) but that pretty much limits the use to email and surfing, with limited storage. But you can copy photos THROUGH the machines to a stick drive, etc.

I wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. My DH wants to use it mainly to download pictures from his camera, check e-mails and surf the web.:)

Ellen

If you aren't going to type a lot on it, then the Asus 7" is great. Costs $250+/-, is very light and small. As reported below, it is solid state and Linux (MS compatible), comes with a word, spreadsheet, powerpoint-like programs and so on. Not great for a lot of typing (Small keyboard) but great for what you listed. Has SD slot for many of the camera type cards. I used the SD is as main memory since it has limited internal memory.

But loved it for surfing, camera mods and emailing. Cheap, light, fast and rugid.

I bought a rollup keyboard for it, but ended up using a larger computer (Toshiba).

I upgraded to a 10" Toshiba for more typing flexibility and it works fine, but not as fast and I miss my mini Asus, but....

Denny

Ellen

I am currently using a Samsung Netbook, which I love and would highly recommend. It's a pretty pearlized white, but more importantly it's about 2lbs and lasts for nearly 8 hours of word processing/web browsing on a single charge. As someone who often works when travelling, I find it extremely convenient as I can get almost all the way from LA to London with it w/o having to bring a charger on the plane.

I'm not sure if this is still a concern, I got my netbook almost a year ago, but (in my opinion) the most important thing to keep in mind is that netbooks have smaller processors so you want to use an efficient operating system. Do NOT buy any netbook that operates Vista, unless you are willing to install your own alternate operating system.

I am currently using a Samsung Netbook, which I love and would highly recommend. It's a pretty pearlized white, but more importantly it's about 2lbs and lasts for nearly 8 hours of word processing/web browsing on a single charge. As someone who often works when travelling, I find it extremely convenient as I can get almost all the way from LA to London with it w/o having to bring a charger on the plane.

I'm not sure if this is still a concern, I got my netbook almost a year ago, but (in my opinion) the most important thing to keep in mind is that netbooks have smaller processors so you want to use an efficient operating system. Do NOT buy any netbook that operates Vista, unless you are willing to install your own alternate operating system.

Sorry to double post, but I forgot to add that another selling feature of the N120 is that it has a 97% (nearly full-size) keyboard.

Hi Everyone,

We decided on the Acer Aspire 1 which we just purchased at Costco. We get an extra year warranty from Costco and we put it on our AE which gives us a 3rd year warranty. Have 90 days to return it if we are not happy. Will let you all know after we have had it for awhile.

Thanks again.

Ellen:)

I like my Toshiba NB305. Keyboard is pretty comfortable for me,

This is the one I upgraded to from my Asus - I love my Toshiba. It has a a great battery life - over 6-7hrs or so. And that is one of the bigger postives of a netbook, its good to have a extended battery life so you aren't lugging along the charger. It is usually smaller and lighter weight than a normal laptop but its great not having a plug-in hanging from your little computer.

Denny

I have an Asus eee with 8 hours battery life, paid about $325, and used it for our two month land trip to Europe--could NOT have made it with out it!

Yes, it is small and you have to maneuver differently than on a full size laptop, but for keeping in touch at home, posting on our blog, checking emails and making hotel reservations, it was perfect. We backpacked a lot of the time and that was always the last thing to go in--fit so perfectly!

Last week my laptop got infectd by a virus, and out came the netbook to get me through at work until I could eradicate the virus--since it already had all my critical programs loaded, it was a lifesaver. I am a believer!

For the purpose of just checking my email I bring my ipod touch. I put the internet cafe bookmark on shortcut on the main screen so I can quickly log in, download my messages, and log off. And it's compact enough to bring ashore if there's a bar, coffee shop, or public library that provides a internet hot spot.

Archived