Live from the Amsterdam July 26-August 9, 2010

Cheryl,

Read you entire blog today and really enjoyed it. It was fun reliving our cruise through you! I had to smile when you mentioned Nila in the Lido Cafe. She was the highlight of breakfast each morning and is truly an asset to HAL.

Happy Cruising,

Cheryl

Just a quick clarification of Cheryl's post about the "secret" cabins on deck 7. Cabin 7056, not 7055, is definitely less obstructed. 7055 has the stairway up to the Lido in front of it. Not that it matters though - both cabins are great! We stayed in 7056, and our friends in 7055, and both were the best of both worlds.

Sorry for being AWOL, I went on a quick weekend vacation to Northern Michigan to recoup from my 22 day Alaska/Seattle vacation. For any of you who have never visited Northern Michigan, it is very similar to Alaska in the summertime. Worth a trip if you are having Alaska withdrawls and need a fix on a budget :).

AIP is correct, 7056 (or the port side cabin) has less obstruction than 7055. I wish this site had an edit button so I could clarify in the post :(.

With that being said, I would gladly take either of those cabins over a port or starboard facing cabin. But I'm an aft girl. The trade off for the view is that there is more motion back there and farther walks to get places (but the Amsterdam is what I would call a small to mid size ship so the walking was never an issue for me).

I'll finish the review soon, promise!

Cheryl :)

Your blog and photos are amazing...absolutely amazing...and I'm glad to hear that your trip was as well.

I was considering booking this itinerary for July 2011 and now I'm sold! I will be sailing with DH, DD (13) and DS (11) and know that this will be a fantastic learning opportunity for them. I'd love to understand more about the cabin you were in and if it accomodates 4. I know that there are no Verandahs that work for 4, which leaves me the choice of an inside (no way), outside (more likely) or suite ($12,000). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Babygirl,

To answer your question, the cabin I was in (2715) only accommodated 2 people. To be honest, I'm not sure why because the square footage is larger, but the couch does not pull out nor is there a pullman over the bed.

If I were traveling with more than 2 persons, I would personally choose an outside on Main Deck (deck 2) near any stairs. That way when the captain calls out that there are whales surrounding the ship you can exit, fly up one set of stairs, and immediately exit onto the promenade.

I know some people swear by balconies, especially in Alaska. In fact, even I swore I would never sail without a balcony. This was my first cabin without a balcony/suite in over 5 years and I was perfectly happy. While there is an abundant amount to see outside on an Alaska trip, even with our great weather, I doubt I would have used a balcony very much, and certainly not enough to warrant one on this R class ship because there price increase from an outside to a balcony or suite is much greater than other ships.

For me, the things I wanted to do in Alaska were costly. The helicopter trip was $300.00. The Whale Watch was close to $200.00. Even the sea otter wildlife quest in Sitka and Aleutian Ballard Crab Fishing boat in Ketchikan were well over $100.00. That would add up quickly with 4 people, but I still feel it would be a better way to use your vacation dollars (again, just my opinion).

I may end up on this very same itinerary next July also! Maybe we'll see you on a role call :)

Cheryl :)

• 9 months later...

Ok read your blog and after losing some excitement for Alaska tip it is so back for my whole family. Are you going to be on the July trip? If so which one we are on the July 8 and I am hosting the meet and greet. Also I would love to do the Alpha capsul tx that you did so hoping to get the same offer or even a little more is ok with me. I am going to try and pre book it but have not had much luck.

Wendy

Are you going to be on the July trip?

This thread is almost a year old. For the last several months Cheryl has posted exclusively on the Royal Caribbean and Serenade of the Seas roll-call boards.

She may not see your question.

Archived