Opinions on Freedom of the Seas

Freedom is a fabulous ship! We cruised in June 09 with our kids who were 15 and 12 at the time. We are fortysomethings. We all loved the entire trip!!! We sailed the Eastern itinerary which was wonderful...the islands were gorgeous! We loved Cococay.

I would recommend FOS and would be happy to answer questions you may have! BTW we are sailing Freedom again next summer. We are all excited:D. Our dks decided they wanted Freedom again and felt that Oasis may be too big. We may try out Oasis or Allure when the prices go down but didn't feel we needed to pay more to sail on them when we already know we LOVE Freedom!

Happy sailing!

I totally agree with you about this one. When we sailed the Mariner last March the Quest game was in the ice rink and it just wasn't as much fun as it usually is on the smaller ships. There was hardly any real audience participation. My husband and one of our friends "represented" our group in the rink area and wound up having to do most of the work rather than others spontaneously joining in as they usually do. We've already said that on the Freedom next March we'll probably take a pass for the Quest game because of this. Not a biggie since we've seen this game a few times anyway but we might have been a little more inclined if it was held somewhere that could be more interactive.

Ironically, this is one of the events I thought I wouldn't like as much on the smaller ship. Same with the 70s party. How could they do a big event like that in the Centrum.

Turns out, smaller can be better! I liked both events better on Serenade.

My next booked cruise is on Voyager class because I'm traveling with a teenager who will enjoy all the extras. But the cruise I've booked after that is back on the Serenade. The ship I though would disappoint me, turned out to be my favorite!

All I can say is that we've travelled all the way across the Atlantic to sail on Freedom twice. I personally think it's the best ship I've currently sailed on. Only sailed on her twice, first in her inaugural season in 2006 and then last year. She still came up to expectations last year. Never feel crowded despite the number of guests, even in the Windjammer, where on Adventure this May it was a nightmare.

We're booked on Liberty twice next year purely because she's the same class as Freedom and until I get chance to sail on an Oasis class ship, it's Freedom class for me all the way. There are links to my photos from our 2 sailings on her under my signature.

Have a great cruise on this great ship, and she's not showing her age at all IMHO.

I totally agree with you about this one. When we sailed the Mariner last March the Quest game was in the ice rink and it just wasn't as much fun as it usually is on the smaller ships. There was hardly any real audience participation. My husband and one of our friends "represented" our group in the rink area and wound up having to do most of the work rather than others spontaneously joining in as they usually do. We've already said that on the Freedom next March we'll probably take a pass for the Quest game because of this. Not a biggie since we've seen this game a few times anyway but we might have been a little more inclined if it was held somewhere that could be more interactive.

Here is a thread on the Quest I started a while back --> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1170868

This is the advice I have;

If you do not want many, many children around the ship then cruise on the Freedom when school is in session. I have found that families with children tend to chose the Freedom and tie it in with a trip to Disney, Universal Studios, and or Cape Canaveral during school holidays.

• 2 weeks later...
Sailed on Freedom twice and going back on her Nov. 28th. If you can't have a great time on Freedom then there is no other ship out there that you can have a great time on, IMO. Although I wish they would put C.D. Richard Spacey back on Freedom.

We also love the Freedom and are sailing on her again in September. Sailing w/o Richard Spacey will be sad. :( Whoever the current CD is he/she will have a lot to live up to!

Archived