insurance for cancellation because of death of family member?

curlymason

I'm trying to find insurance that will cover us if we have to cancel our cruise because of a death in the family. My grandfather has been extremely ill, so I'm a little concerned.

Any suggestions? We just made final payment on the cruise, and should have done this before now, but just totally forgot.

Cancellation Any Reason will work. I don't know which if any will insure after final payment. You might want to try InsureMyTrip to look at the breakdown. Most offer this plan. I know that Acess America offers it. YOu may be able to purchase with higher premium. You would only be able to recover 75-80% of the cost on any of them, but that's certainly better than the entire price of the cruise.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are probably out of luck. It sounds like your Grandfather has what would be referred to as a "pre-exisiting condition." It is possible to purchase policies that waive those conditions, but the latest those can be purchased is within 24 hours of final payment (and even then, only with some providers.)

It's also too late to purchase "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage, as it has similar purchase restrictions.

SirWired

About your only hope would be to contact Travelex. They're one of the few that do not apply their pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members (I'm assuming he's not traveling with you). You can call them at 800-228-9792.

Don't expect a definite "yes" or "no" answer to your questions -- they're trained to not do that. So any answers will only be generalities. But if you're thinking of buying a policy anyway this is probably the only one that MIGHT help you in your situation. Definitely worth a call.

The example I gave them was -- elderly parent (non-traveling) who is in hospice care, no further treatment possible, meds to keep her comfortable only, situation stable for now. If I have to cancel my cruise because she dies am I covered?

Their answer was basically this: Her medical condition as of the date I purchased a policy would establish a baseline in determining future claims decisions. I could not cancel because my mother is in the hospice/hospital -- that's what her condition was when the policy was purchased. But if her situation takes a severe turn for the worst that could be covered, even if I didn't buy the policy in the time frame necessary to get the waiver of the pre-ex exclusion. Note the "could", not "would".

Well, I'll be... yep, looks like they don't exclude pre-ex conditions of non-traveling family memebers. That's certainly handy.

(I don't like other provisions of their policy, especially the mandatory arbitration clause, but beggars can't be choosers.)

SirWired

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought that a non traveling family member.......... was just that, and does not come into consideration with your purchase. YOU are the one that has to have the pre- existing condtion, No?

You NEVER know when someone is going to pass on..... while under Hospice Care or not.

Good luck.

I always thought that a non traveling family member.......... was just that, and does not come into consideration with your purchase. YOU are the one that has to have the pre- existing condtion, No?

Good luck.

Some plans, yes. Some plans, no. You need to check each time you buy a policy as these things change over time as the plans are modified or as they switch to different underwriters.

You NEVER know when someone is going to pass on..... while under Hospice Care or not.

Good luck.

I thought the same thing. OP, I would look into a site such as insuremytrip.com, travelex, or any other travel insurance site and check. Every policy that I considered included coverage for death of an immediate family member, this I remember because that is the only chance of cancellation for us.

Archived