St. Peter's Basilica - View from Roof Terrace at Base of Dome?

chaja

We're planning to take the elevator to the roof terrace of St. Peter's at the base of the dome but most likely will not be climbing the 300+ stairs to the top of the dome. From the roof level I know that you can look down into the interior of St. Peter's and I seem to recall being able to look out at the city and down on St. Peter's Square as well, but my last visit to the Vatican City was so long ago, I can't remember for sure. The tour company we've hired says that we will not have any exterior views from the roof level and that we must climb all the way to the top of the dome to be able to see the city. Could someone please tell me what types of views we can expect to see from the roof level? And is it worth going up there if we won't be climbing all the way to the top?

Thank you!

Charles & Jane

You can see some of Piazza San Pietro from the roof, but not much, because of the setbacks. There is fencing that keeps you several feet back from the apostles statues on the front of the building.

I think you have to do a little bit of climbing from the roof level to reach the balcony inside the dome, but it is ramps, not stairs - I can't remember specifically, maybe someone who has been there recently can tell us for sure.

You can definitely see some of St. Peter's square, and a nice view of the city, from the roof terrace. I think it's very worthwhile to go up that far-- both for the exterior views; and for the interior dome perspective, which really conveys the immensity of the dome. There is also a good gift shop on the roof terrace, with quite different merchandise than the other Vatican shops. I say go for it!

One of my more memorable Italian purchases happened at this gift shop - I bought a Vatican shot glass from a nun.

LOL, that's just wrong!

I love how the nuns subtly upsell and cross-sell. They are more skillful than any secular salesperson I've ever encountered.

You can see some of St. Peter's square. Your view at the top after climbing the stairs of course would be better. We did it just to say we were able to do it. Honestly though at the top, there were SO many people - literally just packed shoulder to shoulder - that it was very difficult to walk around and enjoy the view. We probably walked around half of the top, and then basically just got in line again to go down since it was so crowded. We took a few pictures and that was it. Not something that you have to do IMO, to enjoy St. Peter's.

I thought the coolest part of the trip up to the top was being able to look down inside the church and see the altar and all the people walking about. That view was more breathtaking than the views outside.

We're planning to take the elevator to the roof terrace of St. Peter's at the base of the dome but most likely will not be climbing the 300+ stairs to the top of the dome. ... Could someone please tell me what types of views we can expect to see from the roof level? And is it worth going up there if we won't be climbing all the way to the top?

If your time in Rome is limited, you might want to skip going to the roof since you don't want to go to the dome anyway. I don't know if you realize that just going to the roof will take a lot of time. People that want to go to the roof (either by stairs or elevator) wait in the same line to buy tickets and go up. The line was long and slow even in the late afternoon in April (which is not the busy season.) I believe they designed it that way to limit the number of people on the roof because the dome can't hold a lot of people at once.

The views from the roof are ok, but not near as spectacular as from the dome. Part of that is because you can't get near the edge of the roof.

IMO,

I loved the views from the top. The climb can be a bit tight though, but I thought it was worth it. I went in November and there was not many people at the top so I had plenty of time and room to view Rome.

I dont think there is much of a view from the roof.

Marina

Thanks for everyone's advice! We've hired a private guide through RomeInLimo so I'm hoping she'll be able to pre-purchase our elevator tickets to save time. We did climb to the top of the dome the last time we were in Rome and would love to do so again, but we're getting a little old (celebrating our 50th anniversary this year) for 320 steps, particularly if we can't stop and rest along the way.

Charles & Jane

Archived