Rum Point vs Seven Mile?

wifeandmomof2

I know seven mile beach is closer to the port, but I have heard wonderful things about Rum Point... Anyone been to both?

Frequently. :D

Seven Mile Beach is fairly tourist-y and developed, and is about a 5-15 minute cab ride from the port, depending on which end of the beach you go to. It's a long stretch of soft sand, some waves depending on the wind direction, no real snorkelling to speak of, lots of great shopping and restaurants nearby, no real shade other than rental umbrellas. In most commonly visited sections, there are companies renting chairs, watersports, etc. To me, it's typical "caribbean beach" in feel.

Rum Point is fairly isolated and relatively undeveloped looking, although it sits in the middle of a large subdivision. The only ways of getting there are by rental car or on an excursion, since it's a 45 minute drive from the port area. It's a small beach with lots of overhanging shade trees, and the sand is often covered with casurina pine needles. There are some small waves but not a huge surf, and there's okay snorkelling nearby. There is only one bar/restaurant and one small gift shop. Lounges are free, and there are watersports rentals available. To me, it's "rustic tropical island" in feel.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a beach experience, and how much time/energy you are willing to spend to get to that beach.

We did both, about 4 years ago. We rented scooters to get out to Rum Point...rental was easy, right in town when you get off the ship. Don't recall the cost, but it was reasonable. And yes, I know what everyone says about using scooters! But, we are all experienced motorcycle riders and have driven on the "wrong side of the road" many times before. :D The ride out is nice, not trafficy at all, once you are out of the city. Not much to see in way of scenery, but a pleasant drive in a beautiful place. Still saw evidence of hurricane damage. Anyway, Rum Point was really nice...quiet, with not much going on or much around you. The beach area is fairly small. There are chairs (for free) and shade. We did eat lunch at the small restaurant there. Food was good. You can also went snorkeling equipment at the rental place at the restaurant. We brought our own equipment, and I have to be honest, although the water is crystal clear, and we actually walked down from the Rum Point main beach area, I did not think the snorkeling was anything great. Entry was difficult where we got in, and then there was a strong current. We are all good swimmers, but felt this could have been a dangerous situation...not sure if we were there on a "weird" tide day or what, but I would not do it again without some sort of flotation device (we entered the water quite a ways down from the beach...if you were FACING the water, to the right ... a local had suggested we go there for better snorkeling). There is a long pier that goes out from the beach - nice to walk on, jump from and swim around. It was a GREAT day. After we got back, we still had time to kill, so we scootered on over to 7 Mile Beach. It is a gorgeous beach. Lots of space, lots of hotels, etc., great sand, beautiful water. The size can't compare to Rum Point and it is much more touristy. Still nice, but in a different way. We snorkeled there too, but really nothing at all to see. So, it depends on what you are looking for and how long you want to spend getting there and how much money you want to spend getting there. Either choice is a good one! Enjoy!

Where were the restaurants and shopping near sea grapes?

All along that road that you travel to get between the beach and the port is the main shopping/restaurant tourist strip. Most of the shopping and restaurants are on the opposite side of the street as the beach, although there isn't as much directly opposite Sea Grape as there is across from some other sections. However, if you walk a bit along that road, back towards the ship from Sea Grape, you'll find lots of stores and restaurants.

Archived