Transderm patch VS. Bonine

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn

Okay...the dr gave me an RX for the transderm scop (have not filled yet). I also already have Bonine. I wanted to have these "just in case". I am not very prone to motion sickness, but my DH got VERY sick on a deep sea fishing tour in the Gulf of Mexico before. Granted it was a crappy boat and the water was VERY rough and this was his first case of motion sickness. The pharmacy says that for 4 patches it will cost me $40. Wondering if I really need these, or if Bonine will do the trick. Contrary to what I have read here, my Dr tells me that Bonine DOES cause drowsiness. :confused: Said that Dramimine causes the most drowsiness of the 3 and the patch has the least side effects.

So I guess my question is...do I really need these patches?

We are sailing the Miracle, out of Tampa, w. caribbean.

If you and your hubby are not really prone to motion sickness, I'd say get the Bonine or maybe some ginger tablets from a health food store (I've never used the ginger, but have seen many posts from people about how effective it is).

Many people have problems on smaller boats. It has to be pretty rough to move around a cruise ship enough to bother people, and if you have the ginger or bonine with you, you'd be fine. I have never noticed any drowsiness with bonine.

I consider myself quite prone to motion sickness, but I've never needed a tranderm scopolamine patch while on a cruise ship. If the waters are rough while at sea, I've found that Bonine (meclizine) works just fine. I've seen some recommendations to take it once daily at bedtime to avoid any drowsiness it may cause. The patch does have some side effects, including dry mouth, that some people don't tolerate very well. Cruise ships are great, just don't put me on a small boat for deep sea fishing or to swim with the stingrays.......Most likely I would tolerate those excursions better if I made myself take the Bonine first. Somehow, I seem to think I can get by without it..... :rolleyes:

I had a pharmasist friend who did a lot of scuba diving and she recommended and used Bonine because it does not cause drozziness. My DW has used it for years on all types of Boats, ships and amusement rides without feeling tired.

Since I have used both, I'll share my experience with you. I am NOT prone to motion sickness except a coupla times on small boats out in the Gulf years ago... However, for my first cruise 'way back, I did get the patch, and I used it. (The doc told me to cut it in half because I weighed only about 104 at the time.) I did what he said. I was ok for a coupla days, then started having 'mild' hallucinations and dry mouth - which lasted a few days after the cruise.

OK, no more patches for me. I didn't use anything for the next few cruises and was fine. I did purchase Bonine a coupla cruises ago just to have with me...in case. Last cruise, I felt very queasy on the second night and missed Formal Night (!) completely...ordered dry toast and hot tea at 11pm. I took a Bonine that evening, and then one every morning for the rest of the cruise......no queasiness after that.

I think what's suggested is to take a Bonine before boarding the ship, and one every 24-hours after that. My box of Bonine did say NON-drowsy, so I don't know if there are different types of Bonine.

Just in case, I bring Dramamine "Less Drowsy Formula", which is the equivalent as Bonine, since the active ingredient is Meclizine Hydrochloride (25mg).

Once in a while I will pick up a 3 pack at Sam's Club or Costco (forget which) for a few bucks, and it lasts me until well beyond the expiration date.

I became seasick while on a deep sea fishing trip with my family and it was also off the coast of Mexico. Gross boat and rough waters. I didn't feel better until the snorkeling part when I got to jump overboard. It was my first snorkel try too!! I was so nervous about getting sick again that I tried bonnine. I took one and it knocked me out - couldn't keep my eyes open for hours.

I have been on 3 cruises and never got seasick. I did get a little queasy towards the end - but that could have been overeating and the alcohol.

I would suggest that you try a bonnine just to see if it makes you drowsy. I would certainly give the non-drowsy kind a try first.

Save yourself some money and go to the Purser's (sp) desk. They have both the drowsie and nondrowsie formulas, at no charge. We took a box of Bonine along to get us started, but when we ran low, we went to the desk for the tablets. They come two to a sample pack...they gave us enough to last the rest of the cruise....even gave us some to take a day or two after we got home. I've read that if you wait till you get sick and take something that it won't work very well. We didn't want to chance it, so we each took a tablet before boarding and then one each night thereafter. Didn't make us drowsie at all...even our 13 year old son took one everyday. We didn't want to get sick and miss out on any of our cruise.

Save yourself some money and go to the Purser's (sp) desk. They have both the drowsie and nondrowsie formulas, at no charge. We took a box of Bonine along to get us started, but when we ran low, we went to the desk for the tablets. They come two to a sample pack...they gave us enough to last the rest of the cruise....even gave us some to take a day or two after we got home. I've read that if you wait till you get sick and take something that it won't work very well. We didn't want to chance it, so we each took a tablet before boarding and then one each night thereafter. Didn't make us drowsie at all...even our 13 year old son took one everyday. We didn't want to get sick and miss out on any of our cruise. Oh yeah, we also took the sea bands along...as a backup...those suckers start to hurt after wearing them a while.

Since I have used both, I'll share my experience with you. I am NOT prone to motion sickness except a coupla times on small boats out in the Gulf years ago... However, for my first cruise 'way back, I did get the patch, and I used it. (The doc told me to cut it in half because I weighed only about 104 at the time.) I did what he said. I was ok for a coupla days, then started having 'mild' hallucinations and dry mouth - which lasted a few days after the cruise.

This happened to my uncle! He was on a charter boat and used the patch. My cousins had a hard time convincing him that there were no whales in the water that were going to attack them! He hallucinated off and on for several days, even though he wore the patch only 1 day!!

I have no problem with seasickness usually, but always bring some bonine (just like I bring imodium, etc) just in case. Hope to never have to use any of it!

June

I used Bonine for my first cruise because I'm prone to seasickness and wasn't sure how I'd tolerate a cruise ship. It was supposedly the non-drowsy formula, but I could barely keep my eyes open during dinner. I was asleep by 10 p.m. every night. Bummer, as I'm ordinarily a night person.

I decided after that first cruise that the ship was so stable, I didn't think I'd ever need it again, so I've never used it.

However, last year we were taking the Legend out of NYC to the Caribbean, and since we'd be going through rougher waters, I used the patch to be on the safe side. I tolerated it just fine.

For our upcoming cruise, we have some excursions booked, and one of them (to St. Bart's) is using a ferry service nicknamed the "Vomit Comet." I'm guessing the ride over will be a little wild, so I've decided to use the patch for that.

The point is that everyone tolerates medication differently. My suggestion would be to go ahead and fill the scopalamine Rx. There are 4 patches in a box, and each one is good for 3 days. Since you'll have extras (I'm assuming you're going on a 7 day cruise) why don't you try one out before your cruise as a "test drive." If you find you suffer adverse side effects, try something else.

LOL, if I've said it once I've said it 100 times :) I swear by ginger.... won't make you sleepy, zero side effects, dirt cheap... Safe for pregnant women.... The "drugs" are going to react differently for everyone... so whatever you decide to take, try it out prior to your cruise. I have heard stories of not so great effects of everything from Bonine to the Patch, so I stick with my ginger :D

I used the patch once years ago when we went on a vacation to scuba dive. I was fine for the first day then I had dry mouth, my hands swelled to the point I couldn't take my rings off, my pupils were very dilated and I couldn't see very well until it wore off. I don't know if the pupil dilation was due to a systemic effect of the drug or if I had unknowingly touched the patch and then touched my eyes.

LOL, if I've said it once I've said it 100 times :) I swear by ginger.... won't make you sleepy, zero side effects, dirt cheap... Safe for pregnant women.... The "drugs" are going to react differently for everyone... so whatever you decide to take, try it out prior to your cruise. I have heard stories of not so great effects of everything from Bonine to the Patch, so I stick with my ginger :D

What form does the ginger come in? Tablets, powder? How much to take and how often?

Thanks.

Okay...the dr gave me an RX for the transderm scop (have not filled yet). I also already have Bonine. I wanted to have these "just in case". I am not very prone to motion sickness, but my DH got VERY sick on a deep sea fishing tour in the Gulf of Mexico before. Granted it was a crappy boat and the water was VERY rough and this was his first case of motion sickness. The pharmacy says that for 4 patches it will cost me $40. Wondering if I really need these, or if Bonine will do the trick. Contrary to what I have read here, my Dr tells me that Bonine DOES cause drowsiness. :confused: Said that Dramimine causes the most drowsiness of the 3 and the patch has the least side effects.

So I guess my question is...do I really need these patches?

We are sailing the Miracle, out of Tampa, w. caribbean.

I used the PATCH on my first cruise and I was VERY sick -- FROM it! My new dinner table friends advised me to take it off and ditch it which I did the very first night. I have been on 3 more cruises since and never needed any medication AT ALL! The patch was a disaster for me!

Said that Dramimine causes the most drowsiness of the 3 and the patch has the least side effects.

I've been prone to motion sickness since I was little and have always taken dramamine on vacations/trips. When I was younger I was prone to the drowsiness, but it usually wasn't overwhelming unless I was given too much like when my mom accidentally gave me 2 adult ones...oops! Now, I've gotten to the point where it doesn't make me drowsy when I take it but builds up and I'm tired afterwards. I slept for a whole day once after a week-long vacation! I'd take the smallest dose you can. I've never used the patch or used bonine so I don't know the effect of those. I'd love to know what you decide and what you thought though!

Guest Time2gocruzn

Hmmmmmm..I'm still torn, lol. I am thinking I will skip the patch. If someone DOES get terribly sick even with the Bonine, I know the ship DR is there, and we do have trip insurance. I know it is only $40 bucks, but I was really wanting to hear others experiences with it. I can't believe it really causes hallucinations!! LOL!!

Knowing our luck, my DH would get all whacked out on that patch and embarass us all, lol. When he had his wisdom teeth out and he was coming out of the sedation he was SO obnoxious and out of it the nurses and doctors were cracking up, and I could have DIED I was so embarrased:eek:. I will spare you ALL the details, but I will tell you he was asking the nurses repeatedly "HEY! Why is my fly open?!" And then giggling like a girl. It went down hill from there. He is NOT good on meds, LOL!!!!:D :rolleyes: :D I think he is sensitive to them or something, he has problems with cold meds too. SO I think it is best for him to SKIP the patch;)

Bonine worked great for me and I didn't have any problem with drowsiness even when drinking my Miami Vices! If I take a Tylenol PM, I'm dragging the whole next day. On one of our cruises, some friends of ours were using the patch and after they changed it halfway through the cruise, neither one of them could see clearly. Then they come home and my friend finds out she got pregnant on the cruise. Her dr. said that the patch interfered somehow with her bc pill so they now have a little souvenir from that cruise! ;) Don't know if that would apply to you or not but I would hate to take that chance!

Because transderm scopolamine is absorbed through the skin, it has a slow onset of action. However, once absorbed, the effects (including side effects) of the drug tend to stay in the system. Side effects include dry mouth, urinary retention, constipation, blurred vision, and mental confusion. I would undoubtedly try any medications you plan to use prior to your trip. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease!!!! ;)

Guest Time2gocruzn
Side effects include dry mouth, urinary retention, constipation, blurred vision, and mental confusion.

YIKES! LOL!! No need for any more mental confusion that we already have.;):D

So does real ginger have the same effect? I could just pick up some of that at the sushi bar. :confused:

Paco, it depends on the strenght you get. You should take 1g, and you can take it as often as you like. I generally take some the night before, the morning, an hour before sailaway and then a few hours in... then just as needed. Mine are in 500mg, so I take 2 at a time.

Z, the more pure the ginger the better... so just hit the sushi bar! LOL!!!

Paco, it depends on the strenght you get. You should take 1g, and you can take it as often as you like. I generally take some the night before, the morning, an hour before sailaway and then a few hours in... then just as needed. Mine are in 500mg, so I take 2 at a time.

Z, the more pure the ginger the better... so just hit the sushi bar! LOL!!!

I thought it was supposed to be crystallized ginger?? And do you think it's contraindicated by antibiotics?:D

I used the patch on our last cruise. My vision was so blurred I couldn’t read anything and the blurred vision lasted a week after we got home. I’ve tried the ginger and it didn’t work for me. My family used the Bonine and it worked like a charm with no drowsiness.

Pam

Archived