Getting to Kapalua Zipline from Kahului - rental car or taxi?

YoungRestlessOne

We will be on the Pride of America this fall and have decided to do the Kapalua Zipline in West Maui on Day 2. My question is...does it make sense to keep our rental car for a second day, or would it be cheaper and less hassle to take a taxi there and back? Has anyone traveled to this zipline from where the ship docks in Kahului? I would appreciate any feedback to help me make my decision. We are renting a car on Day 1 to drive the Road to Hana ourselves. I'm assuming if it's cheaper to keep the car and drive to Kapalua we would want a different route than Highway 340 since our nerves will already be jangled from RTH the day before, right? Please help!

The alternative route would be around the southern part of the west side of the island, thru Lahaina and Kaanapali.

I don't recall being restricted on the route you are refering to. Maybe I missed it in our car contracts, but we have taken a rental car that way. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, I don't recall anything significant that would make that route dangerous.

Good choice because taking 340 isn't just an investment in challenging driving. It's an investment in time. You need to allow 1-1/2 hours minimum for non-stop driving. The only reason to drive it is to take the time to stop for sight-seeing much like the RTH is a drive for scenery and stopping. Mind you, 340 is not horrible or impossible if you're a confident, experienced driver, but not a good idea for those not familiar with narrow, winding roads where parts are one lane and someone has to pull into the side of a hill to let another driver pass.

beachchick

Archived