Another Price Drop Question...

Ryano is correct: it's the DATE final payment is due that triggers the policy, NOT the fact that you may have paid it off early. Pay it when you want, don't leave any small amount unpaid, because it does not matter.

If the price drops before final payment DATE, then you get the credit or obc.

If the price drops after final payment DATE, then you get an upgrade if available.

I am sailing on the Splendour on 11/6. The final pay date is in about two weeks. There are a ton of empty cabins. I booked a Jr. suite, but I am thinking of downgrading to an inside so that I will be able to take advantage of any price drops by upgrading my cabin. I won't mind if I end up with the inside since it is half the price of the Jr. Am I nuts?

If there are a ton of cabins left the best would be to cancel and book after final payment when the for new bookings only sale prices begin. If you still have 2 weeks until final payment that means a certain amount of people will decide not to go on the cruise and will cancel when final payment is due. My guess is AFTER final payment even more cabins will be available and then wait and book about 2-3 weeks out when the prices are in a fire sale mode.

But be careful, apparently they are "flagging" bookings canceled just before final payment so that is why I would wait at least a month to rebook at the lower fares.

IMHO there is really no need to book until well after final payment if you are not cabin specific. Wait for the fire sale.

My final payment date is on the 23rd. My TA is canceling my reservation tomorrow. I am not worried if it doesn't work out. We can always do a land vacation of Italy instead.

I guess they won't need New Booking Sales after final payment once all of the 5/17 and earlier reservations have passed. Some think they will start charging a cancellation fee next year.

If there are a ton of cabins left the best would be to cancel and book after final payment when the for new bookings only sale prices begin. If you still have 2 weeks until final payment that means a certain amount of people will decide not to go on the cruise and will cancel when final payment is due. My guess is AFTER final payment even more cabins will be available and then wait and book about 2-3 weeks out when the prices are in a fire sale mode.

But be careful, apparently they are "flagging" bookings canceled just before final payment so that is why I would wait at least a month to rebook at the lower fares.

IMHO there is really no need to book until well after final payment if you are not cabin specific. Wait for the fire sale.

You missed that cancelling after final payment incurs a fee, so that really diminishes the savings. Best to cancel before final payment to avoid the fee.

Does this all pertain to booking thru RCI only? What about booking thru internet travel sites?

It is pretty much the same except some travel sites and TAs have cancellation and change fees of their own. It is important to inquire about such fees before booking with them.

You missed that cancelling after final payment incurs a fee, so that really diminishes the savings. Best to cancel before final payment to avoid the fee.

Actually I meant cancel BEFORE final payment and re- book well after final payment. My sentence structure wasn't exactly correct, I needed a comma in there.

Archived