multiple entrees, appetizers, desserts, etc.

doak

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the waiters want to give you extra food and automatically bring you two of everything.

Don't feel shy about ordering double of something.

I have no problem saying I'd like a double order of shrimp cocktail or that I'd like to try two deserts.

And if you don't like your meal, send it back and get a new one!

We've never have a problem ordering multiple entrees with either Celebrity or Princess cruises. Sometimes we found the salad or the appetizers unattractive, we'd skip them & order more than one main course &/or more than one desert :D

On my recent voyage on RC's Serenade, I ordered 2 lobster tails (brought out one at a time - easier for the kitchen, and the second didn't get cold). I LOVE lobster, but that wasn't the only reason why I did it - I'm one of those freaks who is allergic to pretty much everything that tastes good (beef (severely), fresh tropical fruits, mildly to shellfish (just makes me puff up and lose my voice, my Dr. said OK if im OK with it) and dairy), so I figured, I cant have anything on the menu tonight without suffering to some degree (salads don't count!), so I'll have the lobster, or two! Afer all, they were the ONLY thing I had for dinner that night. Everyone else had the filet mignon.:)

The funny thing is, I ate wonderfully on the ship, all I wanted, and still LOST 2 lbs on the trip! Those excurisons can really burn it off!

• 4 weeks later...

DEFINETLY order more than one. My understanding is the unwritten rule is to give the waiter whatever # of soup, salad, appetizer and entrees ALL AT THE SAME TIME! they will not put all on table at same time, but will watch when you are done with each. They have to put order in kitchen and it is far much easier for them to do it at once. Don't worry--all food will remain hot or cold, as they are supposed to be. Happy eating!!!

On Carnival, it's no big deal to order two entrees, appetizers or desserts. Whenever I can't decide between two items I order both. The waiters do prefer, if possible, that you order them at the same time so they don't have to make so many trips for one item. It's a good distance from the dining room to the galley. I do commend the waitstaff on 5 carnival cruises I've been on. They were very patient with my elderly mother and young neices.

DW and I would order, and then on occasion, if there was something we had not had before, we would order the 'extra' and split it. Is a really good way to try out new dishes that otherwise you probably would never try.

On our first cruise, we went w/friends who had cruised before, but many years later, on cruise #2, we went alone and forgot about order more than one item. There were a couple of times in which what one of us ordered didn't turn out the way we wanted and we just left it. It really wasn't until after we returned home that we remembered we could have ordered something else.

On that first cruise, one of our friends ordered another appetizer for her dessert.

I understand that you can order as many dishes in each course as you want (i.e. have 3 desserts). But can you do this if you go into one of the restaurants that you have to pay a $20 per head for. I'm going on the Jewels of the Seas and would love to know if I can order extra as the food is supposed to be wonderful!?

We travelled a couple of years ago on the Disney Magic with a friend who was an experienced cruiser. He ordered EVERYTHING on the menu. Our waiter didn't bat an eye and we got to taste everything. It got to be embarassing when our waiter brought 22 covered dishes for our table (4 kids, 4 adults). We went with the same people on the Grandeur in March and joked with the waiter about how he needed to have big shoulders just to be able to carry our orders. He took it in stride and each night would automatically bring any entrees that no one at our table ordered just for everyone "to taste". It was great! At the end, I think we asked him to skip the sides and just bring the main dish (and the desserts of course!).

I am a small eater - just built that way I guess LOL Anyway we had this waiter that actually worried about me - "Let's try some mashed potates tonight, ok?" or what ever he thought i might eat! On the 3rd night, I had shrimp cocktail an amazing dessert which I quickly ate up and after that, EVERY night those two things came out to me without asking even though they weren't on the menu:D

He was determind to get some other food down me as well and would bring out small portions "to taste" He was a doll

• 2 weeks later...

I too consider myself a small eater...that is when I am NOT on a cruise. It seems as though I am able to eat more than three meals a day while on vacation! On our first cruise I did eat three lobster tails and they were delish. We were a group of 38 and our table of 8 would order 2 entrees (at least the men did) and our wonderful head waitress HELEN would always bring one extra dish for our table to pass around and try. She also would bring her recommendation of desserts for us to sample along with whatever we ordered. We always would order the pasta dish for an appetizer so everyone could sample the flavor. We are huge foodies with a couple part time chefs at our table....

cannot wait for cruising in December......:D

I would not pass judgement on anyone ordering more than one of something, it is not really my business. Will people do that? Yes but the kind of people who are busy doing the judgement passing have already passed judgement on you about something else, hair, purse, shoes, make-up, clothing choices, where you are from, already so what they think about your interest in two desserts is not worth worrying about.

Just tell your waiter you would like to try two of __________ quietly and ask him how he would like to handle it? Both at once, a second helping brought later? They are very accomadating and nice about it. I frequently have a meal of appetizers and have had great success with this. My husband and I have ordered a third entree to share and been met with nothing but smiles.

Well said about people judging you already. I have two teenage boys, 18 and 16 and they more often than not order multiple entree's and desserts. They've been on two cruises with us and the waiters greet their order with a smile every single time. If someone has a problem with my kids (or me for that matter) doing this....it's their problem that they're so judgemental, not mine.

I have on been on one Cruise (Celebrity), but on that cruise, I ordered multiple items several times. In some cases it was just cause I had never had something before, and though I wouldnt want to miss out on trying it, and other times, I just thought the item was soo good I wanted more. Also, we found out that you could get items not on the menu as well. For instance, some nights we didn't like the salad choices, and we were able to order Ceasar Salad everynight. That was pretty cool. The other thing we had almost every night was Shrimp Cocktail, we found out you could get it any day, and then just kept getting it every night. For what it's worth, I say eat what you want, you don't get the chance to eat some of the items all that often.

C-Dog

Your waiters are very respectful of any request. I am a PLAIN garden salad person. Every night I got a 1/4 head of lettuce 1/4'd tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. They even cut it up for me. I also order 2 lobster tails. I have even ordered 1 meal and they noticed I had only taken 1 or 2 bites of it. They were so upset that I didnt care for it. They fell all over themselves to get me something I would like, so I would eat. :o Be brave and eat what you want. :D

• 2 weeks later...

On our first cruise (RCI) my friend told the waiter that he could not decide between two of the entrees, and asked what he would recommend. The waiter replied: “Let me bring you one of each”. :) We knew at that point that we could order what ever our hearts desired, and not only was it (just) OK, but it was endorsed. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

When we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise, my husband always ordered "nothing" for dessert, and that is exactly what he always got. On the last night, the waiter brought him a plate with no dessert, but it was nicely decorated with chocolate sauce and with the word "nothing" written

in chocolate in the middle of the plate. We got a real kick out of that!:p

On Celebrity a couple of years ago they served a great creme brulee. I raved about and I asked the waiter whether they would be serving it again during the cruise. He said he would arrange it, and the next night brought creme brulee for everone at the table of 10! But it turns out most people wanted a different dessert and ended up passing the creme brulee to me. I think I ended up with six for the evening, 3 of which I took back to the cabin for late night, and one for breakfast!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, I say!

I often order multiple appetizers, and sometimes multiple entrees.

It's a safety thing. See, if I ever go overboard, I definitely ain't sinking. :D

• 3 weeks later...

On Carnival they would bring out more than 1 if we asked without blinking an eye. By the time dessert was ordered we all were soo full that we decided to order one of all 4 (there were 4 of us) and rotate the desserts so as to try them all. Worked out perfectly!:)

Im going again in Nov. and my hubby is planning on doing an impression of my dad..."Gimme notha lobsta,gimme notha lobsta,gimme notha lobsta" in his Nawlins accent. My dad told him what to expect ahead of time and that you can order all the lobster you want...we just laughed and knew he really did order them that way,keep em coming.;)

Archived