Santo Tomas ?

debnjoe1438

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We ll be there for 6 hrs...have ships tours ,but most very strenuous,,,any ideas...cany we just walk in town,,,is it safe?? saw post re police with tour bus..yikes.sounds like Egypt....any info appreciated...;)

I would not walk in the town. The poverty is extreme. However, when we went there, there was a craft building at the pier with many local wares for sale. I wished we had had more cash with me as the things were absolutely beautiful I bought embroidered evening bags to give as Christmas presents as well as jewelry. Would have liked to get more but did not think this was a place to use credit cards. As the ship left there were singers and dancers bidding us farewell from the dock.

We did a ship's excursion to the waterfalls, very nice. There were indeed armed guards. Rest of time I shopped in the craft buiding.

As we sailed away you could see the cooking fires around the town as people prepared food on open fires. Animals lived in the same compounds as the people, probably to keep them from being stolen.

• 3 weeks later...
We ll be there for 6 hrs...have ships tours ,but most very strenuous,,,any ideas...cany we just walk in town,,,is it safe?? saw post re police with tour bus..yikes.sounds like Egypt....any info appreciated...;)

When we were there in 2007 we hired a cab driver and went to what was like a rain forest. It was the most beautiful place with waterfalls at every level that you could go swimming in. They were in every direction and it was amazing. I would certainly look into going there.

We were just there on an NCL cruise. The ship was met by a line of women in traditional dress dancing. It was a warm welcome! There is a indoor market right there, selling items typical of the area. A lot of colorful fabric items and carvings and jewlery. Many of the women were dressed in a colorful native style and looked much as one would think a Mayan to be. Some of the Prices were reasonable and all the sellers were willing to deal. They will take US money. Post cards were hard to find. One dealer had some. They were rather shop worn, and dusty, and over priced at $1.00 each, but I needed postcards. (Sellers will also do trades. One woman offered to trade her items for my watch!) The post card seller would not lower his price. Due to having only 3$ left in my poccket I could not buy the 3 post cards, and pay postage, which I explained as my reason for handing back 2 postcards. The seller asked "What else do you have for me?" He pointed at the 2 small bottles in my mesh pocket and asked me what they were. I replied that they were bubble blowing soap. I got the 3 post cards for $1.00 and the 2 bubble bottles.

There is nothing special to see, no shopping, close to the port, beyond the tourist market at the dock. You really do have to take an excursion to get views of the area. We opted for just the "Trolly" bus ride, town tour. The trolly guide never let us get off. It stopped at an interesting cemetary, and a church, but we could only take photos from the trolly. Once, when the trolly was at a standstill at an intersection, a young man ran up, reached in, and grabbed some bottled water sitting on the floor. All of the windows in the trolly are closed at sitting head level, (likely so that people can't grab things away from the tourists) and open above that (for air flow). ( NO AC on the trolly) The smell of exhaust was irritating, and made us glad that the excursion was not long. Did I feel safe out on the port area? NO! The people at the pier were very nice, and they provided, free dancing and music shows in the indoor market building, and on the pier. When the ship departed. I heard shouting from the locals at the pier "Thank you for coming!" and "Come again!" They smiled and waved goodbye. It was both the most friendly, and yet the most unsafe feeling port.

• 2 weeks later...
When we were there in 2007 we hired a cab driver and went to what was like a rain forest. It was the most beautiful place with waterfalls at every level that you could go swimming in. They were in every direction and it was amazing. I would certainly look into going there.

Anyone know what the place is called?

Archived