Be Careful RCL

We just got back from the Briliance of the Seas on the Med. The ship and the service were great as usual... the ports .... amazing ..... the food .. very disappointing....

This is not met to be a complaint post but this cruise was my 5th on RCL so I do have a history with them and have been very satisfied in the past. I have noticed that the quality of the food is slipping and it was very noticable in this cruise.

Chops and Portifino was great and I do strongly suggest anyone to plan a dinner there. Since it was a 12 day cruise we were able to enjoy both. Now if RCL could just come close to that level of excellence in the MDR they would be the top line in the world.

I will not boar you with the details except to say it was across the board. I am not talking about a dish here or there but almost every dinner had issues.

One selects the cruise line based on ports, the ship and the food in no particular order. If RCL continues this trend with the food they will start losing people fairly fast.

Just an obervation from one that wishes they would take note and improve.

mark

Sorry you weren't happy with the food. I guess it's a matter of opinion on how someone views the food, but my husband and I have had great experiences in the main dining room. We love the specialty restaurants as well, but we make sure to go to the dining room at least for 5 nights of our 7 night cruise. If we order something that isn't to our liking, we return it and get something else. I never understand what everyone sees that is so horrible about the food. I hope your next experience is better.

I know exactly what he is talking about.

There are currently active threads on both the RC and Princess boards asking for comparisons between the two lines by someone who is looking to try Princess after several RC cruises. Ignoring the replies by people who only cruise Princess, there are quite a few replies by people like the OP who have extensive experience with both and claim that the Brilliance is sliding backwards real fast when it comes to the MDR. Worse then the US run RC ships, and as we know, the Brilliance is operated by RCI UK as is now the Independence.

We were on the Brilliance in 2007 so I don't think our experience is valid to talk about this.

I think food is subjective and I think OP has valid points. I am getting tired , in general, of the same menus on each ship. It would be nice to see a greater variety that is based more on the sailing location rather than having the same items no matter what itinerary one is on.

...a 14 niter on the Indy. I had not sailed with RCI since the mid 2000's, only sailing Carnival and one NCL since. At that time I thought Carnival's was a little better than RCI in the MDR; and that was BEFORE the recent "Royal's Food Is Slipping" campaign by some Royal veterans.

Therefore my expectations were not that high for the Indy (I already knew the ship would be amazing; and it was).

Yet; with a few exceptions; the MDR food was a solid good to excellent. Their everyday Sirloin was mediocre. One night I paid the 14.95 for the Chops steak and it was worth it.

I can't say the food was SUPERIOR...but the service was...and the food was, again..very good. Not bad for serving over 4000 people a day.

Go figure......

Mitch

Theres always something for everyone.

Heres how I look at it.

• I don't have to plan the meals.
  • I don't have to shop for it.
  • I don't have to lug it to the car (in 110 heat)
  • I don't have to lug it into the house.
  • I don't have to put it away.
  • I don't have to cook it.
  • I don't have to clean it up.

It works for me!! :)

As someone who cruises often, I have personally found my satisfaction of food in the MRD declining on both RC and X. I don't like having to pay extra to get better food and I don't think it is too much to expect that you will recieve the best the ship has to offer in the MDR.

So, I'll pose the question. If you think the food quality in the MDRs is declining, do you think it is so more people will pay to go to the specialty restaurants? Or is it a cost cutting measure? Or something else?

We just got back from the Briliance of the Seas on the Med. The ship and the service were great as usual... the ports .... amazing ..... the food .. very disappointing....

Fortunately, I have not really experienced the decline in food quality, at least not that I have noticed. In fact, I think the food on my most recent Radiance cruise was the best I have had.

That being said, you are not the only one to make this comment, so there obviously has to be some truth about it. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

I too was on the brilliance on the med cruise and this being our first cruise dont have anything else to compare it to but would say that we thought the food in the windjammer was fantastic and so much choice and thought it was marginally better than the main dining room but we went to chops restaurant and found this to be an amazing experience food and service!!

As someone who cruises often, I have personally found my satisfaction of food in the MRD declining on both RC and X. I don't like having to pay extra to get better food and I don't think it is too much to expect that you will recieve the best the ship has to offer in the MDR.

So, I'll pose the question. If you think the food quality in the MDRs is declining, do you think it is so more people will pay to go to the specialty restaurants? Or is it a cost cutting measure? Or something else?

I'm inclined to agree with joandian and the OP... the food and service is good... but it's not a strong point anymore.

Over the past few years, I have defected to other lines in search of better food... but it seems the same way across the board. Cruise line food in the MDRs doesn't have that "WOW" factor anymore.

Outside the specialty restaurants, the food on the ships, both large and small; RCI, Carnival, and Princess; isn't special anymore.

I remember aboard my first cruise on the RCCL Song of America, the MDR was a magical gastronomic experience. Caviar laden appetizers, exotic cuts of meats, entertaining desserts... it was a dining experience that was on par with the dining at a gourmet restaurant, far surpassing the dining you'd find at a land-based all-inclusive resort.

Now... cruises and land-based all-inclusive resort dining have met parity...

I suppose people aren't cruising to dine anymore... so the focus has become the entertainment? Maybe add some extreme cost-cutting in that equation, and you get what we're getting now.

Slight disappointment. (the cruise is still fun, though)

Theres always something for everyone.

Heres how I look at it.

• I don't have to plan the meals.
  • I don't have to shop for it.
  • I don't have to lug it to the car (in 110 heat)
  • I don't have to lug it into the house.
  • I don't have to put it away.
  • I don't have to cook it.
  • I don't have to clean it up.

It works for me!! :)

Pretty much my point of view in regards to the food. Personally, I enjoy meals that I cook over any restaurant but it's all about being catered to, enjoying your company, not having to do any work and taking in the experience. That's what dining out is all about to me, and that's how I view the MDR. To me, the food is good. I definately think it's time for a new menu, but... whatever.

I definately don't think the food is bad enough to leave the company and take business elsewhere. I definately don't think there's a 'conspiracy' to get customers to the specialty restaurants.

The specialties make them money...and if they are full and pax are willing to pay more $$ for a decent meal..why not?;)

Many pax think it is fine to dress like they are going to their local diner...why shouldn't the food reflect that sort of "ambiance"?:p

Joandian is correct...the dining room food is declining so that they can make more money from "specialty" dining venues.

The dining room used to be soooo special, with real silverware and crystal glassware....everything was top-notch. Now, it's fairly pedestrian and getting moreso every year. I remember when the desserts were so artfully presented that you almost (but not quite!) hated to eat it...they were works of art! Not so, anymore! Same with the meals...each entree came with a different veggie offering...now, you can expect steamed, mixed veggies with almost everything. No more individual sterling butter knives...no more molded, chilled pats of butter.

It's simply not the experience we've come to expect from cruising.....

Not saying you'll starve, because you certainly won't, but dining is NOT the occassion us "oldtimers" have come to expect!

Portofino's is beyond EXCELLENT

That said the MDR on most nights was not up to standards of the past.There was a time when people would say the specialty restaurants were not worth the extra money.That is no longer the case

On our last cruise breakfast became ho hum after a few days with their selections.The MDR at lunch did add an very good salad bar though.

Face it,Specialty Restaurants are becoming a HUGe money maker and they will not be able to fill them by serving excellent food in the MDR.If the main dining room were a restaurant here it would not survive .Portofinos would

:cj

Well, this is scaring me. We've been vacationing in a/i resorts for the past 8 years, and this cruise is costing us 2x what our usual a/i does. I remember cruise food as being VERY good..... Am I going to be disappointed? I always figured that the reason cruises are more expensive is because the food is so much better.

Last year my BIL and his wife went on their first cruise with us.All of us were disappointed in the service and food in the Dining Room.Deserts that were once excellent are now average at best.The dining staff was simply overworked.I certain the trend will continue with all the venues being added to the new ships

Well, this is scaring me. We've been vacationing in a/i resorts for the past 8 years, and this cruise is costing us 2x what our usual a/i does. I remember cruise food as being VERY good..... Am I going to be disappointed? I always figured that the reason cruises are more expensive is because the food is so much better.

No. You won't be dissappointed - don't let these guys deter you from the beauty of the MDR. They are just used to it - they're veterans and the menu hasn't changed in at least 5 years. It's the same thing, on ever ship and I think that's a huge factor in the majority of dissapointment (just an opinion).

The staff in the MDR are top notch, they're friendly, they have a sense of humor and they're truly there to please. While the food isn't exactly your top notch Manhattan dining - it's certainly as good as your best local restaurant. I have eaten home cooked, home grown meals my whole life and I'm perfectly fine with their meals. And deserts. Coffee's could improve a tad but whatever... just sit back, enjoy your meal, enjoy not cooking, enjoy not having a tab at the end of your meal, enjoy the company, atmosphere - take it all in. Then, enjoy the show :D

It would be nice to see a greater variety that is based more on the sailing location rather than having the same items no matter what itinerary one is on.
This was the complaint I had when sailing on the Splendour on a Greek Isles itinerary. There was only one night with Greek food and the selection that night at the buffet was more appetizing than what was available int he MDR.

FWIW (as someone who has recently been on both lines), I, too, am disappointed in RC food when compared to Princess.

The specialties make them money...and if they are full and pax are willing to pay more $$ for a decent meal..why not?;)

Many pax think it is fine to dress like they are going to their local diner...why shouldn't the food reflect that sort of "ambiance"?:p

Unfortunately youve hit the nail on the head ,people are willing to pay extra for the speciality restaurants to get a decent meal ,,,,,does this not reflect that the meals that are being served in the MDR are not classed as special ? We have not long been back from a Med cruise on the Navigator , we found that the meals in the MDR were good and had no need to eat in the speciality restaurants , i personaly feel that if you have to pay extra to get a decent meal then you are being ripped off , our Med cruise was not cheap and could be likened to the cost of a good 5 star all inclusive holiday ,this being so i would expect decent meals and not have the need to pay extra to get '' better '' food , i know that on a cruise you get the benefit of good entertainment and lots of different places to visit as well , but that is all reflected in the price you pay .If the standard of food keeps dropping surely people will just choose different cruise lines , i certainly wouldnt pay extra to eat in the speciality restaurants just to get decent food , i would expect to get decent food in the MDR .

No. You won't be dissappointed - don't let these guys deter you from the beauty of the MDR. They are just used to it - they're veterans and the menu hasn't changed in at least 5 years. It's the same thing, on ever ship and I think that's a huge factor in the majority of dissapointment (just an opinion).

The staff in the MDR are top notch, they're friendly, they have a sense of humor and they're truly there to please. While the food isn't exactly your top notch Manhattan dining - it's certainly as good as your best local restaurant. I have eaten home cooked, home grown meals my whole life and I'm perfectly fine with their meals. And deserts. Coffee's could improve a tad but whatever... just sit back, enjoy your meal, enjoy not cooking, enjoy not having a tab at the end of your meal, enjoy the company, atmosphere - take it all in. Then, enjoy the show :D

It's all a matter of perspective.

While I have NEVER gone hungry aboard a ship... I somehow remember better.

I remember getting the service questionaire and absolutely wanting to find a selection beyond EXCELLENT to describe my waiter, busboy, and dining experience.

As I've said, it seems land-based all-inclusive food, and MDR food has reached parity. The experience we had in Chops and Portofino's is what the dining experience used to be... 20 years ago.

Things change.

But like Thomas Wolfe wrote... You can't go home again.

The a la carte restaurants at our favorite a/i serve great meals. I remember from cruising (so many years ago, it's hard to remember!) that the food was excellent (a step up from the a/i, but not a HUGE step). What I do remember was the service..... wow. I hope that continues. And - am I going to have to pay extra for a filet mignon on the Serenade of the Seas? They don't have a "filet night" like they have "lobster night"? Now, THAT'S not fair! ;)

The a la carte restaurants at our favorite a/i serve great meals. I remember from cruising (so many years ago, it's hard to remember!) that the food was excellent (a step up from the a/i, but not a HUGE step). What I do remember was the service..... wow. I hope that continues. And - am I going to have to pay extra for a filet mignon on the Serenade of the Seas? They don't have a "filet night" like they have "lobster night"? Now, THAT'S not fair! ;)

Fortunately, they will have a Beef Tenderloin night and a Lobster night... usually on the formal dining nights in the MDR!

No need to pay extra.

The food and service at Portofino's and Chops is worth experiencing, though... I usually do that on "Carribean Night"

:p

Pretty much my point of view in regards to the food. Personally, I enjoy meals that I cook over any restaurant but it's all about being catered to, enjoying your company, not having to do any work and taking in the experience. That's what dining out is all about to me, and that's how I view the MDR. To me, the food is good. I definately think it's time for a new menu, but... whatever.

I definately don't think the food is bad enough to leave the company and take business elsewhere. I definately don't think there's a 'conspiracy' to get customers to the specialty restaurants.

My DH likes sandwiches from a gas station and I am not that picky so we are easy to please. Besides, I'm on a cruise :D

I'm inclined to agree with joandian and the OP... the food and service is good... but it's not a strong point anymore.

Over the past few years, I have defected to other lines in search of better food... but it seems the same way across the board. Cruise line food in the MDRs doesn't have that "WOW" factor anymore.

Outside the specialty restaurants, the food on the ships, both large and small; RCI, Carnival, and Princess; isn't special anymore.

I remember aboard my first cruise on the RCCL Song of America, the MDR was a magical gastronomic experience. Caviar laden appetizers, exotic cuts of meats, entertaining desserts... it was a dining experience that was on par with the dining at a gourmet restaurant, far surpassing the dining you'd find at a land-based all-inclusive resort.Now... cruises and land-based all-inclusive resort dining have met parity...

I suppose people aren't cruising to dine anymore... so the focus has become the entertainment? Maybe add some extreme cost-cutting in that equation, and you get what we're getting now.

Slight disappointment. (the cruise is still fun, though)

I read this post and realized that this says alot about the current cruising experience in general. People don't dress up like in the past. The food is just another example of a change in the attitude of the cruisers today. As far as food is concerned, how many times do you read a review that proclaims the wonderfulness of the pizza or the burgers or the hot dogs.

Today's cruiser does not want the different or exotic foods. Food tastes just are not as sophisticated as they once were. The desserts are especially on the decline. Desserts just don't have the richness that they should have if you want to consume the extra calories.

I hope this makes sense because I found myself rambling.

Can't wait to book another RC cruise.

Archived