Be Careful RCL

Well, this is scaring me. We've been vacationing in a/i resorts for the past 8 years, and this cruise is costing us 2x what our usual a/i does. I remember cruise food as being VERY good..... Am I going to be disappointed? I always figured that the reason cruises are more expensive is because the food is so much better.

I've been reading food is declining posts for years. So if it gets worse each year, it should be barely edible by now. I think it is highly subjective and expectations can play a huge part. If you expect a good meal then you will be satisfied. If you expect a 5 star celebrity chef type meal with him preparing something specifically for you then you might be a bit disappointed. It will be on par or better than what you have experienced at your a/i resorts.

Wow! If someone goes on a cruise expecting to eat above average food in the MDR, Snack Bars or Buffet you must have a problem. To say all of the meals had a problem sounds like bologna. Cruise ships have good to average food included in the fare cost. Speciality restaurants will have above average and some gourmet quality food items. All this is my opinion. People who think the food is going to be outstanding all the time should go home un satisfied. These folks should go out to places that cost about $250 per couple with the tip. We have had below to outstanding food on our RCCL Cruises.

Hope You Enjoy Some Good Eats!

Earl

I read this post and realized that this says alot about the current cruising experience in general. People don't dress up like in the past. The food is just another example of a change in the attitude of the cruisers today. As far as food is concerned, how many times do you read a review that proclaims the wonderfulness of the pizza or the burgers or the hot dogs.

Today's cruiser does not want the different or exotic foods. Food tastes just are not as sophisticated as they once were. The desserts are especially on the decline. Desserts just don't have the richness that they should have if you want to consume the extra calories.

I hope this makes sense because I found myself rambling.

Can't wait to book another RC cruise.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I really enjoy good food and I think I have "sophisticated" tastes. But when I'm going to have lobster or a filet or duck or even salmon, I want it to be really good, and the choices I've had in the MDR are not. I will not get excited for "lobster night" in the MDR because the lobster is not good; frankly, it's pretty mediocre. The food in the MDR is medium grade banquet food, IMO. But it's subjective. We enjoy the food in the alternate venues--like the WJ--because our expectations are much lower. It is what it is. We don't have to cook it ourselves, we don't go hungry, and it's fine.

If I want to go on vacation for fine food, I go to France or Italy, not a cruise ship. You can have "sophisticated" tastes and still enjoy the pizza from Sorrento's. In fact, we'd rather eat there every meal instead of the MDR because we know they can't ruin pizza. They're not trying to be something they're not.

Wow! If someone goes on a cruise expecting to eat above average food in the MDR, Snack Bars or Buffet you must have a problem. To say all of the meals had a problem sounds like bologna. Cruise ships have good to average food included in the fare cost. Speciality restaurants will have above average and some gourmet quality food items. All this is my opinion. People who think the food is going to be outstanding all the time should go home un satisfied. These folks should go out to places that cost about $250 per couple with the tip. We have had below to outstanding food on our RCCL Cruises.

Hope You Enjoy Some Good Eats!

Earl

I think that's where the schism is.

EXPECTATIONS.

Cruise "oldies" like myself (and I'm not really that old... the big four-OH is close... but not here yet) experienced cruising during a time when you paid for and received the whole package.

Amazing, amazing meals, great entertainment, nice destinations.

Sure, I understand that things aren't the same. But I expected RCI to have better meals than Carnival.

Back in the day (not that long ago), we used to make fun of Carnival meals.

"Haha! They have Handmade Linguini in a fresh pomodoro sauce, bolognese style on their menu! That's spaghetti in meat sauce! As a MAIN COURSE on Italian night!!! haha!

We have porcini ravioli in a pink lobster sauce with fresh chunks of parmesan cheese."

Today, Carnival's linguini in the pomodoro sauce, bolognese style is getting more favorable reviews than RCI's MDR selections.

Kills my expectations of what I'm going to be eating onboard.

I LIKED the porcini ravioli... now I have to go to Portofino's to get it.

What I've observed is that over time, I have seen the MDR food decline... really, across the board on all cruise lines (I've heard good things about the new Celebrity Solstice).

I ask myself, am I still getting a good value for what I'm paying?

I suppose. I do remember better... I remember much butter.. errr... better.

But now I find myself asking... What's keeping me on a cruise ship all-inclusive type vacation that's better than a land-based all-inclusive?

Weigh the pros and cons.

All inclusive - bigger rooms, bigger pools, mediocre entertainment, stuck in one island

Cruise ship - great entertainment, go to different islands... umm... the food ain't that much better than the A/I (nix that), a rock climbing wall at sea?

tough tough tough choices

I have to agree with all of you. :D

My husband and I are very easy to please when it comes to meals.

We do not go on a cruise for the food, but for the entire vacation.

I have never come home from a cruise weighing less, so I guess I have no complaints. :)

Hi and I'm here to chime in and agree with the above 2 posts! I almost find it amusing to read the complaints on the various ships, same menu's, etc.--But, yet, all these complainers are the same ones STILL cruising and complaining!!! If it is that bad for them, why don't they consider the 'upscale cruises', 2x+ the price, and get the quality/quantity they want! Yes, I do remember the ''fancy cruising days", etc., but, change happens.

I'll bet dollars to donuts, these cruisers will still find something to complain about, be it the dress code, shows, buffets or what have you!/

In the alternative, they could easily take a land vacation at a 5 star hotel, hope for great food and everything else, but, no, they still choose to cruise and complain. Truthfully, I read and ignore 95% of the negatives!

It's a cruise, enjoy it for what it is, the beautiful ship, nice people, good crews, nice entertainment, wonderful sea days, wonderful ports. Just enjoy it!! We surely do and we are grateful that we can cruise.

Said my 5 cents worth!

I know both of you posters enjoy your every cruise as we do!!!

Safe sails always!

B]

:confused: Why are members complaining about the quality of the food on curise ships in the MDR??? It is up to all curisers, we have the power to make all food venues good! Please leave a comment about the food after each cruise. I have had very good food, better on some lines than others. But when I got something that was not "good" back it would go! One time after sending a steak back twice...I got the perfect steak! People at my table said it must have been from Chops, but who cares. The staff really tries to please...so make them do it! I NEVER go to Speciality restaurants. When I began cruising all restaurants were included in the price, so for me that is an insult to charge me for something that was once free.

I'll bet dollars to donuts, these cruisers will still find something to complain about, be it the dress code, shows, buffets or what have you!/

I miss the couples Rasul treatment at the spa.

Nothing was more fun than sitting in a steam room rubbing mud on each other at sea.

Do any of the ships provide that anymore? I think we did it aboard the Explorer it's inaugural year, back when the giant Hoberman Sphere thing would open and close all day.

Gosh... I can't believe it's been that long.

Hi and I'm here to chime in and agree with the above 2 posts! I almost find it amusing to read the complaints on the various ships, same menu's, etc.--But, yet, all these complainers are the same ones STILL cruising and complaining!!! If it is that bad for them, why don't they consider the 'upscale cruises', 2x+ the price, and get the quality/quantity they want! Yes, I do remember the ''fancy cruising days", etc., but, change happens.

In the alternative, they could easily take a land vacation at a 5 star hotel, hope for great food and everything else, but, no, they still choose to cruise and complain. Truthfully, I read and ignore 95% of the negatives!

It's a cruise, enjoy it for what it is, the beautiful ship, nice people, good crews, nice entertainment, wonderful sea days, wonderful ports. Just enjoy it!! We surely do and we are grateful that we can cruise.

Said my 5 cents worth!

Alexis: You said it well.

I know both of you posters enjoy your every cruise as we do!!!

Alexis: Yes, everyone of them is very special to us. Only two have been a disappointment because of the passengers. Not the food, the ship or the ports.

Plus, we are fortunate at our ages to still be able to. :D

Safe sails always!

I just do not see much difference in the meals from several years ago. I do not eat the Lobster or the steak so maybe that is why. I do a lot of B2B's and I never go hungry the whole two weeks?

I have never sent anything back either.

I guess it's to each his own. When we were on the Mariner in May, the food was outstanding every night. Of course, we are not used to eating all the fancy, schmancy stuff like they serve on a cruise. We're used to eating things like fried chicken, pork chops, potatoes and gravy, home grown tomatos, and homemade biscuits. So when we gotten to cruise, we've never once been disappointed. Have a good day!

Theres always something for everyone.

Heres how I look at it.

• I don't have to plan the meals.
  • I don't have to shop for it.
  • I don't have to lug it to the car (in 110 heat)
  • I don't have to lug it into the house.
  • I don't have to put it away.
  • I don't have to cook it.
  • I don't have to clean it up.

It works for me!! :)

Since I do very little of the above, and have been cruising for over 30 years, I also find that the overall quality of the food has really declined. We can always find something on the MDR menu which is OK, just not GREAT as it once was!!

we have been on the ccl fantasy, sensation, & the monarch of the seas. the food on the two ccl ships (mdr or buffet) were hands down superb compared to the monarch. having said that I still prefer the monarch over the two ccl ships we have been on.

I just do not see much difference in the meals from several years ago. I do not eat the Lobster or the steak so maybe that is why. I do a lot of B2B's and I never go hungry the whole two weeks?

I have never sent anything back either.

Thank you Alexis for your kind comments! I appreciate them.

I just got back off the Brilliance Med/Greek cruise (July 14-26th) and, as stated in my review, we thought the food in the Windjammer was good (and the service excellent), and the food in the dining room good also, although our wait staff were not so attentive as they were rushed off their feet

However, I would agree that perhaps the menus could do with a revamp, with much more emphasis on providing local specialities while in port (eg Moussaka in Greece, Paella in Spain in the MDR as well as the Windjammer, pasta dishes in Italy etc)

If RCCL changes the menu's, then people complain about their favorites no longer being available.

If they leave the menu's the same, then people complain about a lack of change.

Either way, people are going to complain.

There is plenty of variety on the current menu. On our most recent cruise we noticed chicken, beef, fish, pasta and vegetarian options on every menu.

I could only compare Carnival and RCCL, and at one time, RCCL was much better. However, it has slid. I'm not saying it's bad, just less expensive dishes, served without alot of flair. I'm not saying that Carnival is great, just a little better in the MDR. However, I think RCCL is better in the buffet area.

I definitely see both lines, cutting the cost. More variety, with different menue would be great.

When we compare the food between RCI and CCL they are about the same.

CCL food had gotten so bad that everyone has noticed a dramatic improvement since it has been brought back to an even level with RCI. RCI hasn't gotten worse but CCL has greatly improved. IMHO

If RCCL changes the menu's, then people complain about their favorites no longer being available.

If they leave the menu's the same, then people complain about a lack of change.

Either way, people are going to complain.

There is plenty of variety on the current menu. On our most recent cruise we noticed chicken, beef, fish, pasta and vegetarian options on every menu.

To me, variety is not the issue. It's the taste of that chicken, beef, fish and pasta. If they're going to stick with the same things, at least make then taste good.

It's not the menu - it's the taste or lack of tase of the food. We've been sailing RCL since 1986 and I can't tell you how much it has gone downhill. Even Celbrity, which is now our cruiseline of choice, does not have good food.

We love the Solstice but the food in the MDR was consistantly bad. Cold to lukewarm at best, fancy names no substance. Too often unedible. And Celebrity is the higher end of the RCL company.

For the last 5 cruises we have not gone to the MDR and only do speciality restaurants, Windjammer, etc....We enjoyed the food much better.....

You just illustrated the OP's initial thought.

When I first started cruising specialty restauurants were just for special occassions. Most people scoffed at the idea of actually paying more $ when the food and service in the MDR was good.

Today, in 2010, it seems like you're getting the same leve of food and service in the specialty venues that you used to get in the MDR pre-2000 and the MDR food is beginning to resemble the buffet more and more...

...meanwhile profits continue to rise along with the service charges.

You just illustrated the OP's initial thought.

When I first started cruising specialty restauurants were just for special occassions. Most people scoffed at the idea of actually paying more $ when the food and service in the MDR was good.

Today, in 2010, it seems like you're getting the same leve of food and service in the specialty venues that you used to get in the MDR pre-2000 and the MDR food is beginning to resemble the buffet more and more...

...meanwhile profits continue to rise along with the service charges.

Sorry, but the MDR food on large cruise ships has never resembled the food served in the specialty restaurants today. Not even close. What the poster you quoted illustrated is that people complain about things they don't even know. How can you complain about the current state of the food in the main dining room, if you haven't eaten there in the last five cruises?

Theres always something for everyone.

Heres how I look at it.

• I don't have to plan the meals.
  • I don't have to shop for it.
  • I don't have to lug it to the car (in 110 heat)
  • I don't have to lug it into the house.
  • I don't have to put it away.
  • I don't have to cook it.
  • I don't have to clean it up.

It works for me!! :)

If you were at a restaurant with poor food would you say the same thing?

The med cruises are not cheap and we were not happy with the food in the MDR either, however, we loved chops and Portofino.

It's not the menu - it's the taste or lack of tase of the food. We've been sailing RCL since 1986 and I can't tell you how much it has gone downhill. Even Celbrity, which is now our cruiseline of choice, does not have good food.

We love the Solstice but the food in the MDR was consistantly bad. Cold to lukewarm at best, fancy names no substance. Too often unedible. And Celebrity is the higher end of the RCL company.

Huh? "inedible" ? "bad" ? As compared to what?? Are you exaggerating to make a point? These are words normally used for prison food.

Mitch

Archived