Tried a Five Guys - Perish the Thought of Wanting Them on a Carnival Ship

MrPete

Speaking of Atlanta, is The Varsity still as good as it was back when I was there around 10 years ago?

As greasy and fun as ever! They actually opened more locations but the one in midtown by the Fox is still the best. Love me a frosted orange and a naked dog with mustard. :D

American Cheese? That's not even REAL cheese! :eek: It's cheese food!

I was about to say that, but you beat me to it! In any case, does anyone know if Five Guys offers real cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, etc.) for their burgers. Last year I went to Denny's (for the first time in almost 10 years), and they only offer processed cheese slices for their "non-100% beef" burgers. I am not familiar with Five Guys, but after this post, I will look them up.

I was about to say that, but you beat me to it! In any case, does anyone know if Five Guys offers real cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, etc.) for their burgers. Last year I went to Denny's (for the first time in almost 10 years), and they only offer processed cheese slices for their "non-100% beef" burgers. I am not familiar with Five Guys, but after this post, I will look them up.

Nope, no cheddar. It was plain old gross American cheese but it was melted so it wasn't that bad.

Nope, no cheddar. It was plain old gross American cheese but it was melted so it wasn't that bad.

Melted helps but yuck...

That completely turns me off from the get go..if it's a "better mid- burger joint"...guess it's really a fast food thing..I'm with Pete...if it degrades the free burger experience..no do not do it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Addendum:

All this burger talk.....

Went to the Cheesecake factory this week, and ordered one of their new Wild mushroom burgers sauteed in their madeira sauce.

BEST BURGER I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE!

:)

Addendum:

Went to the Cheesecake factory this week, and ordered one of their new Wild mushroom burgers sauteed in their madeira sauce.

Ok they opened a beautiful new one at the best suburban mall in my beloved PDX..Oregon just before leaving..they got fresh NW Salmon so I could never veer from that..but I'm prepared for my next vist..love a mushroom burger or steak.. thanks..sjn.:)

Unless you go to one of the original 4 locations, where they have the burger down to an art, I don't think they are that great.

Once they opened it up for the franchise it destroyed the quality, imo.

Now we know the rest of the story!! Thanks..I decided I don't need the stomache ache..sounds too too greasy..sjn.

Visited our daughter at Oregan State last week and took her to the new 5 Guys in Albany. She loved it! She took her friends back already and they also loved it. As for having one on the cruise ship, I vote no. With the choices they have now, finding something good to eat has never been a problem.

Addendum:

That sounds really good! Don't have a Cheesecake Factory anywhere nearby, though. :(

For chain food, I actually like Red Robin's burgers a lot. Also nice that they will still actually cook them medium rare or rare for you if you want it that way. :D:eek: Some places refuse.

Visited our daughter at Oregan State last week and took her to the new 5 Guys in Albany. She loved it! She took her friends back already and they also loved it. As for having one on the cruise ship, I vote no. With the choices they have now, finding something good to eat has never been a problem.

Hope she loves it. Corvalis is a wonderful area..I'm Half Oregonian..going to have to change my stats. No 5 guys, Red Robin, or Cheesecake Factory here..do have chance to visit a 5 guys 5 hrs NW of here but no rush...lovely you made the trek for daughter..sjn.

This thread is so funny since we tried 5 Guys this last friday. Dgs said they were good and had a eye appoitment and 5 Guys was near so dh and I thought we'd give it a try.

I'm not a big eater of burgers except when dh does them on the grill but 5 Guys was a treat for me. I truly loved my burger and fries, usually I eat a few fries and give dh the rest but at 5 Guys I ate my fill.

Eating burgers on a cruise ship? Like dgs says " why would you eat a burger when the buffet has such good food?" (he just turned 13 and he is a foodie) His mother ate a burger on a cruise and he couldn't understand it.

Like they say " To each his own".

Not even in Emporia?

LOL. I'm about 4 hours away from Emporia but I rather doubt they have one unless the place has grown a lot since I was last there! I'm guessing there are a few on the Eastern side of the state but not quite as much selection out here in the mountains.

We got a 5guys here in Cali and we tried it.. but Ill keep my In N Out Animal Style please! There was grease DRIPPING off my brown bag from 5guys. I will say i like their think fries but I had to roll them in napkins to get the grease off.

I work at one.. it is not cheddar. it is called English style process cheddar. I have seen it in our local grocery store and wholly:eek: is it ever expensive..

Archived