Spirt-Western Carib. Port or Starboard?

igo2travel

We were starbord on the Spirit in April. In Cozumel and Santo Thomas we docked on the starboard side. Belize is tendered and ancored outside the reef so doesn't matter. Costa Maya can't remember. I think it's kinda luck of the draw as to which side the ships will dock on each time. Approaching them, I guess starbord would be better view going down, but you'll be looking out to sea going home.

we did the port side, had sunrises going down and sunset coming home...just beautiful. photo ops every time we blinked.

otherwise, the ship can turn and face either direction when docking.

it depends on wind, currents and dock officials as to what direction the ship will face. when we went...facing town/port: starboard in roatan (they did roatan that year), port in santo tomas, tender belize (always) and starboard in cozumel.

Another reason to consider the PORT side: The ship ties up with the STBD side to the pier in NO, so prior to getting underway the STBD side faces the terminal the PORT side the river. As you depart, you turn around so you're facing Riverwalk, etc., as you head south. Port side is my choice.

Thanks. I've just booked my cruise for May 8th, port side. I originally booked May 1st and then realized my daughter's college graduation date was that weekend. D'OH! :eek: Got it changed no problem. Looking forward to the trip!

we did the port side, had sunrises going down and sunset coming home...just beautiful. photo ops every time we blinked.

If you had a cabin on the starboard side, you would have sunsets going down and sunrises coming home. Does it really make a difference? I don't think so.

Electricron...this is so funny. Over lunch I pointed out the sunrise/sunset scenario and guess what! My husband made the same point you did. He had to run it by me twice but it finally sank in. I am chuckling at myself as I write this. I guess this is a 'dah' moment!?

i was wondering when someone would catch that....but it seems some are just into making sure that they get on the "best" side they don't think it through. the ocean is the same on both sides, also.:)

the only time i have made sure of getting on one side or the other is for alaska's glacier bay. that was only because i really wanted to stay on the balcony for comfort and photo ops.

since santo tomas is being taken off the spirit's route, port side was , usually, best. but only for the send-a-way, otherwise the view was not that nice since it's a freight port and but very pretty.

Yes, I know what you mean about it being nice to have a balcony on the 'send off' side at Santo Tomas. Yet when we were there in April, starboard was dockside. Another "proof-positive" that you can never be sure what side will be where on any given cruise.

I will be interested to see what Roatan is like now. We were there about 9 years ago on the Norwegian Sea. I remember that the port gate was very close to where we got off the ship and that the road outside of the gate was a dirt road...albeit packed so hard it felt like pavement. My DH and granddaughter went on a snokeling excursion (they both said it was great by the way) and I walked around to see what was being sold in nearby booths. Anyway, it was a very poor place and I'm curious as to whether any improvements have been made since then.

Archived