RCCL Explorer of the Seas - kids ages 9 & 11..

nyc1967

HI everyone, going on our first family cruise - actually going w/a bunch of other families as well.

I'm curious about those whom have kids about the same ages as mine..do u let them walk around the cruise ship alone? If u do, how do u know where they r etc. Also what about the sea card - canu put a separate amount of $ on each card? What if they go swimming - will they loose their sea card?

How about the kids clubs, do they take them swimming daily - rock wall what other things r on the boat for them, or do they just keep them in the club area?

Anyone know the hours of the clubs?

At 9, it's up to YOU whether you'll allow them to do that....many will. It really depends on your kids and their maturity level and how well they follow instruction.

Unless you're planning on letting them have the run of the ship, they won't need to carry their own cards...

Most folks will put kid's seapasses on lanyards, so that they are around their necks. You can put a set amount on each child's account.

They shouldn't lose their card....it can get wet (it's plastic) so they can wear it in the pool, or put it in a pocket.

As far as knowing where they are....you will tell them where they can and can't go...and you'll tell them where you will be at any given time....like, "When you get out of AO, we'll be at the pool until 2pm...find us there." Or, set up meeting times....in the WJ for lunch or in the room at a certain time. You'll find that there are only so many places the kids will congregate....sports deck, pool, arcade, buffet......it's not as hard as you might think!

HI everyone, going on our first family cruise - actually going w/a bunch of other families as well.

I'm curious about those whom have kids about the same ages as mine..do u let them walk around the cruise ship alone? If u do, how do u know where they r etc. Also what about the sea card - canu put a separate amount of $ on each card? What if they go swimming - will they loose their sea card?

How about the kids clubs, do they take them swimming daily - rock wall what other things r on the boat for them, or do they just keep them in the club area?

Anyone know the hours of the clubs?

At ages 9 and 11 on our first cruise, I did not let my kids walk around the ship alone or swim alone. There is no lifeguard. Although the club (Adventure Ocean) might take them outside of the AO area, they do not take them rock climbing or swimming or ice skating. Those activities (at least ice skating and rock climbing) need a parent to sign a waiver. In order for the kids to be allowed to leave AO at all, a parent also has to sign a waiver. This includes if you wish to them to leave by themselves to go back to the room etc.

You can place X amount of money on their seapass, or you can allow charging or you can disallow charging. I allow my kids (aged 11 and 14 now) to charge, but they know how much per day they can spend and it's their responsibility to keep track of it. I also keep track of the account via the TV in the stateroom.

Thanks - i did not realize No Lifeguards..i also thought the club takes the kids around to do activities....what do they do w/kids that age in the club then - i'd think most kids want to do the activities as swimming, skating etc!

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour nyc,

The AO program has all kinds of activities to entertain kids of all ages. They have their own newsletter to advise you of the schedule for the following day and the approx times that activities will be held. However, they have wacky names for their activities so not always as straightforward to judge:p! The staff in AO are very welcoming of questions and comments.

The type of activities were for example: crafts, science experiments, games, pirate dress up and parade, dancing in one of the clubs (which they closed to the rest of the ship during that time). When my daughter participated it was during off season in Europe so not as many kids as usual. They combined all ages in one category (4-14) and all seemed to have a good time! There was also some flexibility if kids wanted to do something on their own in another corner of the room.

Since you are sailing next summer Adventure Ocean will be packed with kids in the 9-11 year old range. The activities are as the pp described, structured and tailored for that age group. The counselors are usually very good, and come with early learning/childhood credentials.

The hours of the club are generally 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10. Since we do not allow our 10 year old grandson to sign himself out we pick him up after every session (tear him away is more like it)! Kids can stay later than 10 and will be charged an additional fee for every 30 minutes after 10.

As far as skating, rock wall, swimming, shopping, movies, etc- those are all activites that you can either participate with them, monitor, observe, and in some cases will require your permission:D

As far as letting them roam around the ship, I wouldn't, but that's just me. Think of your ship as a small town of 5,000 people. Would you let your kids roam around an area if you were unfamiliar with the 'neighbors'?

We sailed with the kids just a bit younger (8 and 10) however this was their 3rd cruise. My eldest was allowed to go get a drink and come back to the pool or go relatively short distances on his own but normally he didn't wander the ship. The main reason was that he was very easily turned around and got confused as to exactly where he was going. The ship floors are quite similar and it took a few days for him to remember how to get around. I was concerned that he would get lost.

They spent most of their time in the kids club and loved it. When they weren't in the club they were with one of us.

Also, I didn't give him permission to sign out of the kids club on his own.

Archived