Calica or Progresso?

lorij1975

We are trying to choose a cruise and have the option of Cozumel and Calica or Cozumel and Progresso?

We are a mid-thirties couple with a 14 yo son and 11 yo daughter. We don't care for shopping or looking at old ruins. We want to see and play on beautiful beaches. What is the difference between these two ports.

Thanks!

-Lori

We are trying to choose a cruise and have the option of Cozumel and Calica or Cozumel and Progresso?

We are a mid-thirties couple with a 14 yo son and 11 yo daughter. We don't care for shopping or looking at old ruins. We want to see and play on beautiful beaches. What is the difference between these two ports.

Thanks!

-Lori

I would definitely take the Cozumel/Calica option. The water is sooo gorgeous and crystal clear and great for snorkeling. The beaches are wonderful also. Progresso in my opinion is the worst port there is. There's is just nothing there that is appealing to me. So, take it for what it's worth, but most people I think would agree with me.:):)

I really don't like to disparage ports... but I have to say the Progresso was not alot of fun. We decided that we wanted a beach and shopping day. Took the double decker bus tour...I liked that... and saw some of the area...sat up top and ducked from the low hanging power lines..LOL. Then we went to the beach... we had not a moments peace while we were there. I am not exaggerating when I say that every 3-5 minutes someone would come up to us and show us their wares. We went down by the water to get away from them and paid for beach chairs and they followed us. I took to closing my eyes when I saw them coming...and snoring. They would move on... but what a pain in the rear end. Also, the water was beautiful but you had to walk through lots of broken shells to get to it. Might have been a storm recently? or could be the norm for Progresso. After being harrassed on the beach, we decided to walk back to the open market. We were followed by a nun the whole way there. We went to the port shops...and back to the ship.

The people of Progresso spoiled this port for me. I realize that they are poor and this is their livelihood...I can honestly tell you I would have spent way more money in their town if they had not been so agressive and pesky. I would have eaten there, I would have shopped in their markets and stores... but I couldn't wait to get away from them.

I just find the situation sad..... for them and for me.

Jen

Thanks!

-Lori

Been to both a number of times if your looking for white sand beaches and clear blue water...choose Calica. When you arrive take a taxi in to Playa Del Carmen quick trip cost about $15 each way for 4 people. The beach is public and free but most of the resturants along the beach rent out chairs and umbrellas for 4 people for the day about $20. There's also a fun store right on the corner where you grab a taxi back to the ship that has everything you could want! It's a fun place to go in and look around. Progresso is nice but IMHO the beach just isn't as nice or the water as clear. Which ever you do I'm sure you'll have a GREAT Cruise! :)

Been to both a number of times if your looking for white sand beaches and clear blue water...choose Calica. When you arrive take a taxi in to Playa Del Carmen quick trip cost about $15 each way for 4 people. The beach is public and free but most of the resturants along the beach rent out chairs and umbrellas for 4 people for the day about $20. There's also a fun store right on the corner where you grab a taxi back to the ship that has everything you could want! It's a fun place to go in and look around. Progresso is nice but IMHO the beach just isn't as nice or the water as clear. Which ever you do I'm sure you'll have a GREAT Cruise! :)

I also have been to each port several times and agree Calica is probably the better pick for you. That said I dont get why everyone hates Progresso so much. I really enjoy going there and just spending the day on the beach relaxing. You can order drinks and food at very reasonable prices compared to other ports and the bring everything right to you. The peddlers are pretty much the same as I have seen on almost any Mexican beach form Cabo to Belize...

Not sure if you had heard but don't freak out when you get to Calica. It's a rock quarry so dont expect much right at port...

I really don't like to disparage ports... but I have to say the Progresso was not alot of fun. We decided that we wanted a beach and shopping day. Took the double decker bus tour...I liked that... and saw some of the area...sat up top and ducked from the low hanging power lines..LOL. Then we went to the beach... we had not a moments peace while we were there. I am not exaggerating when I say that every 3-5 minutes someone would come up to us and show us their wares. We went down by the water to get away from them and paid for beach chairs and they followed us. I took to closing my eyes when I saw them coming...and snoring. They would move on... but what a pain in the rear end. Also, the water was beautiful but you had to walk through lots of broken shells to get to it. Might have been a storm recently? or could be the norm for Progresso. After being harrassed on the beach, we decided to walk back to the open market. We were followed by a nun the whole way there. We went to the port shops...and back to the ship.

The people of Progresso spoiled this port for me. I realize that they are poor and this is their livelihood...I can honestly tell you I would have spent way more money in their town if they had not been so agressive and pesky. I would have eaten there, I would have shopped in their markets and stores... but I couldn't wait to get away from them.

I just find the situation sad..... for them and for me.

Jen

I agree completely. We took the Corona Beach Break and it was horrible for the same reasons. The beach area was roped off, but they still would hound people from the other side. It was very heartbreaking.

I also have been to each port several times and agree Calica is probably the better pick for you. That said I dont get why everyone hates Progresso so much. I really enjoy going there and just spending the day on the beach relaxing. You can order drinks and food at very reasonable prices compared to other ports and the bring everything right to you. The peddlers are pretty much the same as I have seen on almost any Mexican beach form Cabo to Belize...

Not sure if you had heard but don't freak out when you get to Calica. It's a rock quarry so dont expect much right at port...

Didn't say I don't like Progresso going there in October on a girls Cruise and we plan on just spending the day checking out the flea/craft market, maybe riding the bus and enjoying the beach. But if I had a choice it would be Calica as the beaches in PDC are just nicer to me. Whiter sand and bluer water that's always crystal clear.

I have to agree with the others; Calica hands down. Beautiful beaches, gorgeous crystal clear water, and as someone mentioned, you do not want to miss Xcaret, which is a huge ecological theme park with aquariums, snorkeling, and beautiful tropical foliage. It's less than 10 minutes by cab at a cost of around $10. Entrance fee to the park is about $67 per person and well worth it. Google it for more information.

We made the mistake a few years during our Calica port day of going to a public beach in Playa Del Carmen. There was garbage all over the beach and the water was so strangely murky that snorkeling was out of the queston. Our kids ended up digging holes and building sand castles instead of playing in the water. Definitely, didn't become our favorite port!

Enjoy, whatever you decide! :)

We just got off the Elation this morning and were in Calica/Playa Del Carmen the day before yesterday.

I am probably one of the very few that would love to have both Progreso and Calica as ports and skip Coz.

To get to the beach in Progreso there is no cost involved. The shuttle bus

to Progreso is free and you are about 2½ blocks from the beach where it drops you off.

I love the "real" feel of Progreso and the double decker bus tour for $3.00.

Calica has a very nice beach also with lots of food options. The taxi from the dock in Calica to Playa Del Carmen is $13.00 for 1-4 pax and $26 round trip. It drops you off at the "tourist" area near the beach. The walk from the drop off point to the beach is about the same as Progreso.

I think if you are looking for the beach option and don't mind the taxi fare, then Calica/Playa Del Carmen would be the best choice. I know we really liked walking around the town of Progreso, but honestly this week in Calica/Playa Del Carmen it was so hot, none of us felt like doing too much walking around this time.

I would definitely take the Cozumel/Calica option. The water is sooo gorgeous and crystal clear and great for snorkeling. The beaches are wonderful also. Progresso in my opinion is the worst port there is. There's is just nothing there that is appealing to me. So, take it for what it's worth, but most people I think would agree with me.:):)

Exactly my thoughts. Did Progresso once, never want to do it again. I would take the Calica option.

There is more than meets the eye!

We went on an excursion and swam/dove in two cenotes (underground river/lakes).

Far from the normal...get off the ship look around, decide you don't like a port and head back to the ship..

Memorable day!!!

Thanks!

-Lori

If you want beaches Coz and Calica is the way to go. Been to Coz 9 times, Calica and Progreso 3 @. Calica has some gorgeous beaches. It is hard to narrow it down to 1 beach. You can go to Playa del Carmen and spend all day on the beach in the middle of town. Akumal is nice and Yalku lagoon, although not a beach per se, is gorgeous. Good snorkeling too. Then there is Xel ha a little farther down the coast. There are nice beaches east of PDC, too.

Yeah, if I wanted beaches, it would have to be Calica.

There is more than meets the eye!

We went on an excursion and swam/dove in two cenotes (underground river/lakes).

Far from the normal...get off the ship look around, decide you don't like a port and head back to the ship..

Memorable day!!!

Just a note to anyone stopping Progreso.

The little shops at the ship area is not Progreso.

I have seen post where people thought that was the town.:confused:

To get to Progreso, you will be taking a ride on a bus for about 4.5 miles.

I think it is the longest pier in the world.

Archived