2 questions about a looong cruise

1] We are planning a B2B cruise that will be 28 days total.

When I purchase cruise insurance will I have to have two policies or one for the total cost and length of time of both cruises.

2] How does one pay one's bills when you are away for that long a time? Some of the bills can be repaid but some others like local water probably can't be. I really don't think I trust paying things online from strange computers in foreign countries:eek:.

I would say your best bet would be to find someone you trust to pay your bills while you're gone, have them collect your mail and leave them a few blank checks. The other option would be to use the bill pay feature from your bank account, with this you'll have to approximate your bill and have it set to pay on your normal due date.

I can't answer the question about the insurance.

What ship are you sailing and to where? I am very jealous.

I would say your best bet would be to find someone you trust to pay your bills while you're gone, have them collect your mail and leave them a few blank checks. The other option would be to use the bill pay feature from your bank account, with this you'll have to approximate your bill and have it set to pay on your normal due date.

I can't answer the question about the insurance.

What ship are you sailing and to where? I am very jealous.

I guess that is what we will do. I can fill out the checks and have someone just open the bills and then stuff and mail the envelopes. Lucky we don't have too many to worry with, mostly utilities.

We are scheduled to sail in the Med for 12 days and then plan [i fervantly hope] on doing the transatlantic which is another 16 so we will be gone for a long time.:)

I live in a foreign country and pay bills online all the time with no problems. I have even done it on a long cruise to Asia and Australia. If you are not comfortable with paying online then pay the utiliities (elect, water, etc in advance). If you speak with the company they can offer a simple way to pay the bills.

You will have to have two insurance policies as you have two seperate bookings.

The way I have done my water bill and light bill is just double pay them. That way you will carry a positive balance over to the next billing cycle.

Dave

The way I have done my water bill and light bill is just double pay them. That way you will carry a positive balance over to the next billing cycle.

Dave

We pay all of our bills online and have never had a problem with it and we've been "on the road" for almost seven years. We've used our computer in the States of course but also Europe, Mexico and the Caribbean.

I bought insurance from someone other than Carnival for a BtB and they told me as long as I insure for the total cost, I'm covered from driveway to driveway. They insure the vacation not the cruise so I'm covered the whole time. Do some checking around on that. Insuremytrip was a big help in that department.

As far as bills, I have mine handled automatically by the utility companies direct from either my bank or credit card. The water is the only one that doesn't get handled that way and I have my bank send them a payment each month so it's covered. I've paid stuff from on Carnival's computers, just make sure they are set up to Not store cookies or passwords (never seen one on Carnival yet that did) and you'll be fine. The only problem is the system can be a bit slow onboard.

Dave

That's what I do, too. The city (water) doesn't care about my lack of response to a bill when I'm already overpaid. I just pay twice the amount for each bill.

2] How does one pay one's bills when you are away for that long a time? Some of the bills can be repaid but some others like local water probably can't be. I really don't think I trust paying things online from strange computers in foreign countries:eek:.

Just put money in your accounts for such companies before you leave. Make sure it will be more than enough to cover it and you'll be all set. You definitely don't want to potentially hurt your credit score by missing a bill. We always keep monies in our accounts that the companies deduct from. My brother didn't, but now likely will start to do so since he accidentally forgot about his electric bill and they turned the electricity off on him for a couple of days even though he had just paid the bill by phone! (They have up to three days to turn the electricity back on after the bill is paid and they took their leisure, grr.) Cable, water, electric, sometimes credit cards, etc. It is especially helpful when we're away.

Do you have a laptop or a netbook? You can pay bills online with that and a wifi hotspot, which can be found in any port for a small fee.

Alternatively, entrust a friend or relative with the task of paying your bills. Give them checks made out to the utility and with the amount filled in at slightly more than you expect your bill to be. Put it in a sealed envelope with postage and write the date you want it mailed on the back. Then ask the person to drop it in the mailbox on that date.

Do you have a laptop or a netbook? You can pay bills online with that and a wifi hotspot, which can be found in any port for a small fee.

Alternatively, entrust a friend or relative with the task of paying your bills. Give them checks made out to the utility and with the amount filled in at slightly more than you expect your bill to be. Put it in a sealed envelope with postage and write the date you want it mailed on the back. Then ask the person to drop it in the mailbox on that date.

Since I have had my e-mail address book hijacked not once but twice [different e-mail address/ different server the second time:rolleyes:] I am a little leary about using a computer/wifi other than my own for that sort of thing. I may be paranoid but that is just me. We have levelized billing for gas and power so writing a check for those is easy, also the phones are pretty close to the same each month. I can be sure there is no balance on the credit cards and get my neighbor to mail in the bills at the proper time. I have direct deposit so the money will be there with no problem.:) I guess I was just over thinking this.:o

Sent an e-mail to my PVP today to book this TA so I am very excited.:D:D

We have used Insuremytrip website and will do the same again when we get this booked.

Thanks for all the good advice.;)

Archived