sdmike's review & daily diary of Epic's inaugural western Caribbean cruise

sdmike

My NCL Epic cruise did have a "Quest," but it was a poor imitation of the RCCL "Quest." ...not funny, not fun, and it was on the last night of the cruise when so many people are packing, so there were way too few people both in the audience (teams) and participating!

• 5 months later...

I have searched for 2 days now to try to find this post. Whew!

Hope you are doing good King Ness. We are planning our vacation for this year now and was going to do a "land" vacation, but the more I searched, the more disappointed I seem to be after having our cruise on the Epic last year.

So, I thought about either doing the western carribean or bermuda this year. After finding your review of Roatan and what a great time you had, I think we have decided on the western carribean. Of course we won't be able to do the Epic again, but that's ok. I like to experience something new.

I have spent the last several hours re-reading your review and looking at the pictures again. I'm getting excited to plan this trip now. THANKS MIKE!

(Queen Ness) :D

Hey Queenie! I think you're just avoiding the Eastern Caribbean because of your owie :) Did everything heal up ok?

Back to your point, we had the most marvelous day on Roatan. From the monkeys to the ziplines to the incredible beach. I think it was my best vacation day ever

PS. Love the feet. :D

Edited by sdmike

Hey Queenie! I think you're just avoiding the Eastern Caribbean because of your owie :) Did everything heal up ok?

Back to your point, we had the most marvelous day on Roatan. From the monkeys to the ziplines to the incredible beach. I think it was my best vacation day ever

PS. Love the feet. :D

Yea, I was so glad to get that cast off. The ortho doctor told me that it would continue to heal for the next 9 months or so. It's now been 6 months and 90% of the time it feels fine. I have noticed when it's extremely cold outside, it tends to ache across the top where I broke it. But it's all good.

I can't wait to do this cruise. With my work and school schedule, it looks like another 9/11 cruise for me (same as last year)...isn't that ironic? :eek:

It looks like the only ship (NCL) that cruises the western in September is the Spirit. Have you ever been on it or heard anything about it?

Also, it stops in Belize, which I didn't see you post anything about that. Maybe the itinerary is different?

The only NCL ship I've ever been on is the Epic, so I can't really help you with the Spirit. I've seen lots of reviews here though, so time to start reading again. :)

I think the itinerary is different. Belize was not on the schedule. We only had Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. Belize is between Costa Maya and Roatan, so maybe they do it then instead of a sea day (shrug)

The only NCL ship I've ever been on is the Epic, so I can't really help you with the Spirit. I've seen lots of reviews here though, so time to start reading again. :)

I think the itinerary is different. Belize was not on the schedule. We only had Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. Belize is between Costa Maya and Roatan, so maybe they do it then instead of a sea day (shrug)

Oh Trust me Mike, the obsession and reading has begun. hehe :p

Yea, they have one sea day then, Costa Maya, Roata, Belize, Cozumel and then another sea day returning. It seems like a lot to me. We'll be on the go all the time.

So far, all the things I'm reading about Belize do not seem to be good things. It kinda reminds me of all the post about Coki and the drugs and killings that were going on prior to us going to St Thomas. Although this seems a little different. Not many seem to be too happy with Belize. I'll have to dig a little more.

• 2 months later...
Between your review and Don's. I am sold on the Epic.

Nov 10, 2010 is my Epic Date.. Thank you so much..

I've not been on NEARLY as many cruises as Don, but all 11 of us really loved the Epic. As long as you're aware of some of the things that bother people (like the bathrooms, lack of "broadway" shows, etc.) you won't have negative surprises. The ship is unique, and in a very good way.

snipped...

Well...looks like this ship (or itinerary) isn't for me. :(I'm very very motion sensitive. Unless that was the only time it did the rocking

Ok..as I type this (Monday evening) the ship is really rocking and rolling in gale force winds. It’s a very, very stable ship considering the conditions. A lesser ship would have people barfing over the side. More on this later.

Oh goodness. No. The ship is VERY stable. Much more than any other ship I've been on (although not a huge sample). Even in gale force winds and seas high enough to keep us from docking it was very manageable, which surprised me.

Some people read but don't comprehend....

No worries. I'm sure the "rocking" part prompted the comment and concern. Just glad they spoke up so I could clarify

Edited by sdmike

Roatan, Hondouras (Tuesday, July 27th)

Best

Cruise

Day

Ever.

Honest.

Wow!

snipped

Ok, enough about Wednesday in Tuesday’s blog entry. Let’s just say it again. Roatan. Best cruise day ever!

I have to say that I loved Roatan as well...it was about the only port that REALLY stood out to me on our Caribbean cruise 2 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

Thanks so much for this wonderful review. Since I'm sailing on Epic next month I've been reading as much as I can find and it was a joy to read such a wonderfully balanced review. You shared the things you didn't like, but you went into this journey expecting to enjoy it and you did! My kind of traveler...

Silly question; did you happen to notice if the tv showed any movies onboard or just news, e channel, and ship info?

So glad you took the time to share all of this,

Liz

• 2 months later...
I typed a diary of our entire week on the ship which I will post here in multiple parts. Just a warning...it's long! I will have pictures up in the next couple of days showing what I'm writing about. I hope you enjoy the write-up!

Arrival Day

The two nights before the cruise we stayed at the Hilton downtown in Miami. We had arrived very late on Thursday night (midnight) and easily found a cab downtown to the hotel. The cost was $23 plus tip, so for $30 we got door to door service without messing with any shuttles. I had looked at shuttles and the cost would about been about triple what we paid for a cab for the 5 of us, so I’m glad decided to just “cab it”. The hotel is showing a little age, but the staff is great and it’s well maintained. We stayed in a HUGE Junior Suite that had two queen beds and a large sitting area with a fold-out queen couch. These units are on the corner with floor to ceiling windows, and being on the SW corner of the 12th floor we had a great view of the cruise ship terminal and downtown Miami. Thursday night while we were sleeping Tropical Storm Bonnie came calling, throwing up 50mph winds and a large amount of rain. We were worried that the weather would not pass fast enough for the Epic to start her trip on Saturday, but by late afternoon on Friday the sun came out and things were looking great for the trip. My folks and my brother’s family got in from Philly on Friday afternoon and stayed at a different hotel. We didn’t meet up until Saturday morning at the port just due to logistics (no cars, staying in different parts of the city). On Friday evening I took the family over to Bayside Marketplace. It was a $6 - $7 cab ride (plus tip) and it was nice to get out and walk around. My wife wanted to do a little shopping, but there are some empty shops now. The place is still like I remember, with most of the fun coming from people watching, grabbing a quick ice cream or water ice at a stand, or standing out by the harbor watching the water. There are a few places to eat (Chilis, Hooters, a food court), but not a lot of “good” restaurants. Worth spending some time though. Did I mention the people watching? World class. J

As I type this on Monday morning the ship is rocking and rolling in 50mph winds and 10-12ft waves. More on that later J

Thanks for the review - would you know what night of the cruise is "captain's" night with the lobster. I am going on the Epic (eastern caribbean) in Nov for thanksgiving. Trying to figure out all what nights to plan specialty dinners. Your review was very informative.

Thanks - soocool@optonline.net

• 2 months later...

Mike, if you're still reading your posts, I have a question. You said:

Oh..one thing I discovered while looking at the aft of the ship from the 14th deck is that the ship doesn’t always run on both screws. We had a 40 knot tail wind on Sunday, and the ship only needed the starboard screw to maintain about 16 knots. I guess they were saving fuel by doing this, but it made a lot of sense. Later when we turned south and start battling the wind and weather I noticed that both screws were cranking away.

I don't know what you mean about the screws. Thrusters? I haven't a clue. Thanks for the review and for finding my post and answering after a year and 4 months.

Mike, if you're still reading your posts, I have a question. You said:

Oh..one thing I discovered while looking at the aft of the ship from the 14th deck is that the ship doesn’t always run on both screws. We had a 40 knot tail wind on Sunday, and the ship only needed the starboard screw to maintain about 16 knots. I guess they were saving fuel by doing this, but it made a lot of sense. Later when we turned south and start battling the wind and weather I noticed that both screws were cranking away.

I don't know what you mean about the screws. Thrusters? I haven't a clue. Thanks for the review and for finding my post and answering after a year and 4 months.

"Screws" = conventional propellers at the back of the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't see this. Yes, a "screw" is slang for the shaft/propeller. The Epic does not use azipods.

There is a picture in this article of Epic's screws, and also a discussion of its propulsion system versus the use of azipods

http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/epic-exclusive-to-pod-or-not-to-pod-2/