It's Official: Women DO pack too much!!

ourlol

According to a survey commissioned by P&O half of the garments we women pack are NEVER worn. I had to smile when I read that a third of women admitted to packing a waterproof jacket when headed to a sunny beach resort "just in case". Hey they are talking about ME!! :D

By contrast men 'apparently' tend to pack too little... with socks being the most commonly forgotten item and a third of us forgetting to take a toothbrush!!

The Excess Baggage

The average woman packs the following for a 14 night break in 2 cases

• 21 pairs of panties (5 not worn)
  • 9 bras (4 not worn)
  • 6 pairs of shoes (3 pairs not worn)
  • 1 waterproof jacket
  • 20 tops inc. t-shirts and jumpers (8 not worn)
  • 3 evening dresses (1 not worn)
  • 6 pairs of trousers (3 not worn)
  • 5 skirts or pairs of shorts (2 not worn)
  • 10 pairs of pantyhose (4 not worn)
  • 2 items of swimwear
  • 2 hats (1 not worn)

I wonder, are you guilty of packing too much?

How early to you start? It would be interesting to see whether the statistics in the survey hold true that women start planning months in advance and pack their case about a week before and the men... well they don't think about it until the very last minute i.e. the night before :eek:

What have you forgotten to pack?

but I'm trying to improve!! On the last 7 day Caribbean Princess cruise, I did much better, but still too much.

For Example:

I pack way too many swim suits, and usually stick to the same one each time.

Also too many nicer shorts outfits for port days and around the ship -- we usually end up on our balcony or by the pool on sea days and doing an activity requiring swimsuits and a coverup on port days -- and the nice shorts go back not worn.

For the Hawaii cruise crossing, we didn't realize we needed to pack warmer clothing, so that would count as "forgotten items".

Interesting post!!

I'm not guilty. I've learned over the years to pack light. In fact, I only carry a dufflebag (which could fit in the overhead compartment) and a suitbag for a 7 day cruise. For a 14 day Europe trip, I only carry the dufflebag and I don't check any luggage. My motto is, "if I don't pack it and need it, I'll buy it". I rarely have to buy clothing but I do buy lots of other things that require an additional bag on the return trip.:D

I had a good chuckle on this post. The very first time I took a cruise I packed everything but the kitchen sink. Boy did I learn real quick. I now have it down to somewhat a science on wht to pack. Once in a while I slip up, bring to much of something but not enough of something else. One of these days I will get better.

Marilyn

That list is so funny, because it sounds just like me.

I did stop taking panyhose, who needs it if you are wearing a gown. No one will see your legs anyway.

I do take at least 5 bathsuits for a 14 nite cruise.

My DH did forget a pair of shoes, this past Dec. So while in the LA area, he bought another.

Minette

Who on earth packs 10 pairs of pantyhose for a cruise and then wears even 6 of them? I thought this was a vacation not a corporate board meeting.

Yes, women probably do pack too much - we have to prepare for any contingency. I suspect most women pack for the entire family so that no member of her family shows up on the ship without underwear!

Well I WAS an overpacker. Went to Overpacker Anon who has only one rule, once the luggage is packed, open it up and take out half.:D This works, who needs all those pantyhose, I do bring 2 pair of knee-hi type for Formal night as my skirt (notice one black skirt) is ankle length and feet feel much more comfortable in shoes with them on.

2 bathing suits. Just in case one is still wet and we want to go to pool or hot-tub later in the evening. 2 coverups for pool area. These are very thin and pack inside a shoe (3 pair, including sneakers). DH gets one pair of shoes for evening and he has pair of sandals that are on his feet from the time we get up until time to dress for dinner. Shoes are so heavy, even if you pack them as suggested at the bottom of the luggage.

I pack three pair of dress slacks and 3 pair of shorts - all are neutral colors.

That way any tops will match. 2 "nice" blouses for my one black skirt for formal. Bring a set of nice pearls and my rings. That is only jewelry I take with me. Have to leave room for all those medications (LOL)

If you have to sit on your luggage to close it - your are really overpacked :)

I know, most folks don't want to use the washing machines while on vacation.

I found that on our last sea day, just doing 2 loads made life much easier when we got home. :) Only 7 night cruises so far.....

I have not forgotten to pack anything in the last few years, but before that, I would be missing a few items - of course they were DHs :D

Wouldn't have it any other way!

I love all my clothes at my disposal...if I could, I'd bring my whole closet.

I wear mostly everything I bring...I love variety.

I dislike doing laundry when I get home, but not enough to change my habit.

I dislike lugging the suitcases but not enough to kill the thrill of the joy I have at having a lot to choose from when I dress for dinner....sometimes by mid cruise, I've gained a few pounds already and I need some variety because what looked good on me pre-cruise, is now looking a bit...lumpy :D

Maybe one day I'll get tired of packing a ton of stuff, but for now, it makes me happy.

OH...and I have a whole suitcase dedicated to shoes (mine and my DH's)!!

I am so guilty! I probably already have that much packed for my 7 day cruise coming up in 2 days! You never know what you might need.

I went to vegas and was supposed to leave on 9/11, well obviously we couldnt and got stuck there for and extra 5 days! My husband and I were the only one's in our group of friends that did not have to buy/wash extra clothes or underwear and I still had about 2 outfits that I did not wear. I know, its bad but, overpacking worked out for us that one time!

I used to be really bad about packing too much. But I am doing better these days. I am using the lay everything out that you want to take, then put away the stuff you know you don't really need to take , and then put a few more things away that you really really know you don't need to take. And it pares it down alot. However I don't think I will ever get to the point of the previous poster that takes only a duffle that will fit in the overhead bin :(.

Am starting to lay out things now for cruise in one month, so wish me luck.

Cori

Hubby and I were just discussing this subject, as I want to avoid overpacking for our August Tahitian Princess cruise. The thought of packing day and evening clothes for 10 days, plus our snorkle and beach gear has me worried that we don't own enough luggage!

We brainstormed and came up with a few solutions that I plan to employ:

1. Lose weight...I've lost nearly 100 lbs since our last cruise, and my size 10 clothes take up a lot less room in the suitcase than my size 24s did! I also don't feel the need to cover up quite so much, so skimpier clothes will work.

2. Keep the main wardrobe pieces neutral colors, so they can be reworn with different pieces for multiple uses. Bright accessories take up a lot less room than clothes!

3. Plan a trip to the laundry into your schedule. that way, you can get away with packing half as much. We booked a cabin not too far from the laundry so this won't cut into our fun too much.

4. Plan your evening wear so you only need one or two pair of dress shoes. For our last (7 night) cruise, I packed 5 pair of dress shoes, 3 of which I only wore once...ridiculous!

these last 2 suggestions were hubby's ideas...you can tell where his mind is!

5. Sleep in the nude...no need to pack jammies, and you can always slip into the Princess robes in the morning.

6. Go commando in the evening... cut your undies consumption in half!

I'm sure we'll come up with some other solutions, since our cruise as 6 months away.

Anyone on the Aug. 2 sailing of the TP...I'll be the lady with her legs crossed in the dining room!;)

Michelle

A girl scout I was - a girl scout I will always be.

I'll always remember a fishing trip we took to northern MN. My brother & family came up from Texas - his kids first time fishing. They brought summer clothes that would be appropriate for Texas - mid-summer. (After all it was July).

The temps dropped to the 50's and we were buying consignment clothing (sweaters, socks, jackets) to keep them from freezing. Since then I always pack for every contingency. (It can get cold on the crossing from Galveston to Cozumel too).

I stick my shoes in the garment bag - lots of zipper corners that don't get used otherwise.

1. Lose weight...I've lost nearly 100 lbs since our last cruise, and my size 10 clothes take up a lot less room in the suitcase than my size 24s did! I also don't feel the need to cover up quite so much, so skimpier clothes will work.

2. Keep the main wardrobe pieces neutral colors, so they can be reworn with different pieces for multiple uses. Bright accessories take up a lot less room than clothes!

3. Plan a trip to the laundry into your schedule. that way, you can get away with packing half as much. We booked a cabin not too far from the laundry so this won't cut into our fun too much.

4. Plan your evening wear so you only need one or two pair of dress shoes. For our last (7 night) cruise, I packed 5 pair of dress shoes, 3 of which I only wore once...ridiculous!

these last 2 suggestions were hubby's ideas...you can tell where his mind is!

5. Sleep in the nude...no need to pack jammies, and you can always slip into the Princess robes in the morning.

6. Go commando in the evening... cut your undies consumption in half!

I'm sure we'll come up with some other solutions, since our cruise as 6 months away.

Anyone on the Aug. 2 sailing of the TP...I'll be the lady with her legs crossed in the dining room!;)

Michelle

you GO girl!!!! :D

I just don't see the problem ;) :D !! I have one large suitcase and if it will fit in there I take it. Last cruise there were 12 tops that I didn't even wear but I might have needed them. Pantyhose - no way, but shoes - about 9 pairs, 3 high heels (colors are important :D ), 1 pair of runners and a few pairs of sandals and thongs.

We will be doing a back to back, in a few weeks, and I plan on taking enough so I don't have to do laundry. My husband on the other hand plans on taking only enough to get him through 1 week and he will do laundry - maybe that means more room in his suitcase for me but I only bring 1 suitcase :p . . . He says that is why he is going to the gym, so he can lift it for me.

I used to be a total over-packer! Then I got tired of lugging all that baggage, plus trying to keep the dirty clothes away from those items I never wore. I finally learned, and now I'm down to a more reasonable amount. I still don't do the "3 weeks in a backpack" thing, but I do pack more sensibly.

And, I've learned that as long as I'm traveling to civilized places, I never need the "what if" stuff. I can usually buy it throughout my travels, if needed.

And exactly who does pack pantyhose for any type of vacation? I only pack them if I'm going on a business trip or if I'm attending a wedding or something equally special.

I asked her how many bags we can take and I think she said something like 6. But then she said I only got to pack 1 and the rest was hers.

BTW, 9 bras, I don't think my wife owns 9 bras. Does this mean she is disgusting? No really I need to know. ;)

I asked her how many bags we can take and I think she said something like 6. But then she said I only got to pack 1 and the rest was hers.

BTW, 9 bras, I don't think my wife owns 9 bras. Does this mean she is disgusting? No really I need to know. ;)

9 bras...necessary my dear!!!

All those fancy dresses needs certain type bras...strapless, low back, halter, racerback.............. :D need I go on????

9 bras...necessary my dear!!!

All those fancy dresses needs certain type bras...strapless, low back, halter, racerback.............. :D need I go on????

Whew! I thought it was a hygene thing. She didn't seem disgusting to me but since she is the one and only love of my life all female knowledge I have comes from her. ;)

At least not in one size! Nine bras? 21 prs of undies???? I hate high heels, so I actually bring fewer pairs of shoes than DH. And my feet are a lot smaller, so the shoes take up much less space.:D

As for laundry, I'm perfectly happy to spend $50-100 to have the ship do it for me. They do a better job of pressing than I ever would, and after dropping $4000 on a vacation (including airfare & such), $100 is just a rounding error, justifiable in order to enjoy the experience fully!

Maybe I'm just getting old (no doubt about it!), but one formal outfit is fine for a cruise w/2 formal nights - DH wears the same thing, why can't I? Two bathing suits are fine, one will dry while the other one is in service.

I hate lugging stuff, so one bag & a carryon are all I care to have with me on any trip. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go!

Archived