It's Official: Women DO pack too much!!

ourlol

I love taking lots of shoes. I've mostly learned over the years what I'll use and what to leave home. I still pack way too many shorts for Caribbean cruises. The best invention for women has to be the expandable suitcase. I always find the cutest clothes on trips. :p

Laura

..I've lost nearly 100 lbs since our last cruise, and my size 10 clothes take up a lot less room in the suitcase than my size 24s did! I also don't feel the need to cover up quite so much, so skimpier clothes will work.

You go girl! That is fantastic. :D I am so happy for you. I hope someday I am able to do the same.

One reason that I love personal choice dining, is that you can wear the same outfits over & over, as you are never at the same table.

After more than 30 cruises, i really try to bring only what is absolutely necessary.

It makes life easier.

LiLi2

My wife and I travel regularly. We find that we take less and less on each trip, particularly the non cruise variety. We have a rule...you pack it, you carry it. It works like a charm..for both of us. We find ourselves taking fewer formal or dress clothes now-we take what is comfortable and what travels well.

Yeah, but then we aren't the ones sitting around waiting for our swimsuits to get there. The last two times, my husband took things out of his carryon(both times his trunks) before we left saying he had too much. The second time I said you did that the last time. But we are taking less and less each time.

I just have to ask this question since no one has mentioned it. What about the airline's weight limit of 44 lb. each? Does anyone bear this in mind when packing? Some of you must have to pay overweight costs? We are usually right on the limit. My husband is obsessed with this and is always reminding me of this. Meanwhile, I pack what I feel I will need which is always more than what he packs. I have two nice pairs of dress shoes that are neutral in colour and can therefore be worn with any of my formals, one pr. running shoes and one pr. flip flops. My husband's tip is to bring thong underwear to save space instead of those granny flannels. ;)

Seventy-percent of men wait until the last minute to pack for their trips, while many women pack a few days in advance.

from

http://www.mapquest.com/about/news.adp?display=&area=1002291051%2C0

Which of the following cause you to get stressed during your holiday preparations?

Preparation and packing

from

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Stress/postoffice65.htm

This is one of the best and funniest threads I've read in a long, long time. Thanks for the entertainment! I'm learning alot and ROFLMAO, although I'll probably still revert to my last minute, pack too much, and "DH you have to leave stuff home to make room for my absolute essentials or get another suitcase"...yada, yada, yada...:p

Northender, you will have to wait and ask that question on April 3rd. :eek:

fuzzywuzzy - because we are from Canada (out of the continental US) our luggage weight can be under 70 lbs. My suitcase usually hits the scales at about 55 - 60. I know I should cut down, but why? It fits in the suitcase and the closets are large enough to unpack it all - so why?? :D If I am going for just a few days I pack light but on a cruise with so many different options of what to do and when - WHY??

Well I have to admit I'm guilty of being an overpacker.....lol....Though I'm getting better, my DBF, might not agree..........I thought maybe I did him in on the Caribbean cruise..... Then I reminded him that guys like it when we dress nice and look pretty....Then he conceded....

I usually bring 5 pair of shoes, 1 for formal nights, 2 sandals, swim shoes and 1 pair of tennis shoes....From there it's all about neutral colors so I can mix several tops with 2 pair of shorts..... I forgot a jacket on the last cruise and it was cold a couple of times at night...... Of course being a nurse, I tend to bring the pharmacy... lol.. Always prepared.......... One day I'll get it all down..........

You beat me to it Laserjock!!! :D

I've got the Caribbean packing down to a science!! However, next cruise is to Alaska. Think about that packing nightmare!! Temps will range anywhere from 30 degrees to 90 degrees!! I see 4 suitcases in my future when we usually only take 1 + garmet bag!!

Any tips??

Deb

I just have to ask this question since no one has mentioned it. What about the airline's weight limit of 44 lb. each? Does anyone bear this in mind when packing? Some of you must have to pay overweight costs? We are usually right on the limit. My husband is obsessed with this and is always reminding me of this. ;)

My husband always weighs the suitcases. We are always under the limit.

I just had to add my two cents! I confess to taking more than what is needed but I like having choices. :) It doesn't hurt anyone else (other than my DH who has to lug a lot of the bags) and my cabin accommodates everything I bring with room to spare. I do not like putting back on clothing later that night that I have already worn while running around and being sweaty (EWww!) in port...or on the ship. I also do not want to spend my vacation doing laundry. :eek:

All that being said, I have learned to put everything out that I want to take. I then go through the piles and try to remove 1/4 of the clothing. I never feel badly about bringing home a couple of clean things that didn't get worn! ;)

Judy

8 days and a wake-up until we sail on the Golden! :D

Northender, you will have to wait and ask that question on April 3rd. :eek:

fuzzywuzzy - because we are from Canada (out of the continental US) our luggage weight can be under 70 lbs. My suitcase usually hits the scales at about 55 - 60. I know I should cut down, but why? It fits in the suitcase and the closets are large enough to unpack it all - so why?? :D If I am going for just a few days I pack light but on a cruise with so many different options of what to do and when - WHY??

Hi Northender: We are from Ontario, Canada. When we flew on AirTransat last month they were very strict about the weight and were charging people who were over the limit. I agree with what you say, that we need the MOST stuff when travelling on a cruise but because of the formal wear and shoe changes needed, it does add up to more weight. I don't care but my hubby is obsessed about this!! I think it's an anal thing. :)

I just have to ask this question since no one has mentioned it. What about the airline's weight limit of 44 lb. each? Does anyone bear this in mind when packing? Some of you must have to pay overweight costs? We are usually right on the limit. My husband is obsessed with this and is always reminding me of this. Meanwhile, I pack what I feel I will need which is always more than what he packs. I have two nice pairs of dress shoes that are neutral in colour and can therefore be worn with any of my formals, one pr. running shoes and one pr. flip flops. My husband's tip is to bring thong underwear to save space instead of those granny flannels. ;)

LOL!!! My DH actually suggested I leave the bras at home, too!

Been reading the other thread about packing tips, and interesting uses for duct tape, (including feminine support garment). But I figure the amount of duct tape I'd need to pack would weigh a lot more than a few bras! not to mention the ouch factor at the end of the day.:eek:

Michelle

cruzegirl - darn, forgot about those watershoes . . . I think that makes 10 pairs but it is 14 days plus travel days :D - thank goodness my husband is doing laundry for himself, then there will be room for me . . .

I asked her how many bags we can take and I think she said something like 6. But then she said I only got to pack 1 and the rest was hers.

BTW, 9 bras, I don't think my wife owns 9 bras. Does this mean she is disgusting? No really I need to know. ;)

Mark, I'll bet you she does too own 9 bras. You just don't know it. :D

Of course, unless she is really "perky" unlike some of us who may need to resort to the duct tape. (OUCH)

Did you see where joanne1 is wearing a thong to our CC get-together April 3rd. (LOL)

Tips

Put away clothes that you want to throw out. Then pack them for your cruise. Then throw them out. Less to pack going home or extra space for dodads (sp?).

Go on a nudist cruise.

Buy your clothes onboard. Then return them at the end of the cruise for a refund.

That's why I love cruising--you can take as much as you like. I look at the airlines weights and measures and pack accordingly. Actually, I feel like I've really improved in recent years, in that I've been on several cruises where I made it with a 27" suitcase and a carry-on. That Milford Sound was layer on layer because I wasn't going to miss out on a beautiful day in such a fabulous setting.

However, it is becoming more challenging because we're on cruises where the range of temperatures is quite broad. Looking at Bangkok's sizzling 90 degrees today and Beijing's low of 18, I'm think I might consider more luggage soon.

I did experience a woman walking behind me on disembarkation who said, "Did you really wear all those clothes?"

• 2 weeks later...

Laura,

I am right there with you on the over packing, especially when I end up liking a few particular items and wash them and wear again and again, makes me think that I "could" have packed lighter...but you never know do you.

Liz

I'm definitely an overpacker (from my early girl scouts days - be overprepared) but there are many times I realize during a trip that I didn't pack enough for a particular type of weather. My hubby always looks at the number of bags I put in the hallway and throws a fit. But then I'm also packing for my daughter too. One cruise he made me get rid of one of my bags (carryon size) so I had to take everything out of both bags (again, we're talking carryon size) and combine into one. While I was doing so, he decided to load up the car including coats. The only thing is when we got on board at San Pedro, I realized he didn't bring my coat! So at night, I wore my sweater and waited for him to ask why I wasn't dressed warmer. He didn't notice. :(

The night before the last cruise I had a breakdown sitting in front of the one suitcase we were taking for our 21 day trip (train/cruise) and he got out some old bag I've never seen and said I can use it for anything that didn't fit into the suitcase and garment bag. Sometimes hysterics can be useful. ;)

• 3 months later...

Help! We will be going on the Canadian Rockies Bus/Rail Tour for 6 nights and then the Coral Princess cruise nb from Vancouver. Some of our luggage can go straight to the ship while we are on tour and some comes with us. We are really looking for recommendations on what people have taken and how it was split up.

Thank you.

Archived