watch shopping in cozumel

cheero57

We have bought a few watches in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and in St Marteen.

In Cozumel we bought from Diamonds International - Michele and Hamilton

We were really happy with them...there are 2-3 stores...the one that is the farthest at the end of the main street always has the best prices...I think the Tanzanite international down there does too...we have bought jewelry and watches there.

In Grand Cayman - we bought Hamilton at Tourneau

In St Marteen - We bought Hamiltons and Philip Stein at Joe's Jewelry - they had great service

Research BEFORE you go...you MUST know your prices or you will have no idea if you are getting a deal or not. There are guidelines the watch maker allows on discounts.

All the ones we bought were about 20-25% cheaper. Rolex is only allowed to be marked down 10% and other brands in that price range follow. but remember...NO tax either. :D:D

Diamonds International is usually one of the ship's recommended stores for jewelry. There are also other stores listed in the shopping guide, but as previously stated, the prices in the Caribbean are close to the prices in the U.S. (no big discounts).

If it a good (expensive) watch I would stick to the cruise line recommended stores.

Just a note of caution. Cruise line recommended stores are are not always the best. The reason they are recommended is because the cruise line gets a kick-back for the recommendation. But for the most part they ARE reliable.

I don't know anyplace in Cozumel but I know a guy in NYC. He has "real" Rolex watches for $100.00. You can find him just off Times Square on 39th. Ask for Henri....he give a lifetime guarantee.....;):D

IMHO buy local to get the service on an expensive purchase.

I don't know anyplace in Cozumel but I know a guy in NYC. He has "real" Rolex watches for $100.00. You can find him just off Times Square on 39th. Ask for Henri....he give a lifetime guarantee.....;):D

IMHO buy local to get the service on an expensive purchase.

As long as the watch is all above board, the international warranty will be fine and you can take it into any authorised dealer for repair. I bought a TAG Monaco in San Juan and it stopped working when I was back home. Took it into my local TAG dealer here in the Isle of Man and it was sent to TAG and fixed no problem.

Like someone else said - there's nothing like buying that purchase while on your holidays ... sorry vacation!!:D

Just a note of caution. Cruise line recommended stores are are not always the best. The reason they are recommended is because the cruise line gets a kick-back for the recommendation. But for the most part they ARE reliable.
I agree, however at least you have some recourse and not just buying from my cousins store for almost free.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
And here I thought this thread was all about watch OUT FOR shopping in Cozumel :rolleyes:

And you are correct! :D As many replies seem to say...Yes you should WATCH OUT when shopping in Cozumel, or any port.

Really, given the prices I've seen on the ship and in the ports for high ticket items, it comes down to how much are you saving by going duty free and avoiding local and state sales taxes, or shipping costs on line. If you're from a high tax rate place, that savings might be significant. But you should be sure you've got the real deal so you can get service at an authorized dealer/repair shop once back home.

Archived