San Juan Airport

Kruz Guys

Are the restaurants / bars at the San Juan airport before you go through security or are they available once you pass through USDA and security? We will need someplace to "hang our hat" while we wait for our plane. (I understand there are no airline clubs).:D

Thanks

I do not know the answer to this but would also like to hear the answer.

I am also wondering - is it the same procedure there as in the USA/Canada - get there 2 hrs ahead and so on?

From what I've read one needs to be at the airport at least 2 hours ahead of flight time, particularly if you are flying out on a Sunday (apparently the business day of the week).

I know there are places to get snacks and drinks, but I don't remember any real restaurants. Sunday is very busy as there are 3 cruise ships that port in San Juan. So you should get there at least 2 hours ahead of your flight. And remember to go through the USDA inspection with all your bags (located outside the terminal) before you go to your airline check-in.

There are some places to eat both before and after security, but they are not the greatest. As someone said, if you are leaving on Sunday anytime before approximately 2:00pm, it is a real zoo and you will be lucky to even find a place to sit.

You didn't ask but I suggest you consider the cruise/air lines' baggage transfer option if it is available. We think it is well worth the price ($20.00 pp and any airline baggage fees) that takes all your checked baggage just beyond customs and checks it directly into the airline. Avoids the hassle of taking all your stuff through the USDA check (although you still have to have USDA scan your carry on). PLUS you get your boarding passes the last night on the ship and do not have to suffer through the airline check in!

If you do not use the baggage transfer program then at least spring for a porter at the airport. That usually gets you through the lines and through USDA faster but when it is really crowded, as on Sundays, you still have to shuffle your luggage along very long check in and then go from there to the very long security line.

Better yet stay a couple of days and enjoy PR and go out on a less busy day, relaxed and refreshed....

I remember seeing one restaurant before security (not the greatest). There are at least two restaurants after security along with some places to pick up snacks and some clothing, perfume, alcohol shops. We ate at one of the restaurants near our terminal after security (not the best and kind of pricey but decent) and then we went "shopping" in the various stores).

there is one "sit down" restaurant and bar but it was packed all day. Rest is take out food. Airport is an absolute zoo. We got there at 9:20 and made it through USDA, ticket check, security by 12:10 p.m. Craziness.

oh MAN this sounds nuts. We are disembarking the ship on a Sunday and staying the night in San Juan. We thought it might be better to fly out on the Monday. Problem is we have a very early flight (something like 7:45 am). I am already worried enough about making it TO the airport for 5:45. Will that even be early enough?

I keep reading about what a nightmare San Juan Airport is, but I've flown in and out of there three times and never had any issues. Their taxi system is extremely efficient and it takes no longer to get through this airport than any US airport. I try and get early flights [noonish] so I'm not sititng around for long periods, but I find this is a very easy airport to fly in and out of. I think they handle the crowds quite well.

oh MAN this sounds nuts. We are disembarking the ship on a Sunday and staying the night in San Juan. We thought it might be better to fly out on the Monday. Problem is we have a very early flight (something like 7:45 am). I am already worried enough about making it TO the airport for 5:45. Will that even be early enough?

Monday is not a busy day at the San Juan airport. You should not have any trouble getting checked through.

On monday mourning you will be ok to show up about 45 min to an hour ahead and you will be ok. Not nearly as crazy as sunday. We had a noon flight on monday, got to the airport 1 1/2 hour ahead of our flight and ended up waiting about an hour at the gate.

As a senior who travels alone, I agree with suggestion of using a porter. He will take you

to USDA for scanning, take bags to front of line at check-in and leave them. If at all

possible, have boarding pass printed ahead. Many hotels have computer access to airlines

in the lobby and anyone can use them to print passes.

Check out www.cruisereport.com

to see how many ships will be in port the days you need to fly in and out. That should help you judge your time needed.

We have 4 ships in the day we arrive and 3 ships the day we leave.

What link do you click on, on the web site to get that information?

What link do you click on, on the web site to get that information?

If you go to www.cruiseport.com

Click on the Destinations tab

Pick your destination (for instance Southern Caribbean)

Look for your sail date and port

You will see the names of the ships at that port on the sail date you are interested in - you can look for your departure date and your return date as well to see the number of ships at that port

Happy Cruising!

If you go to www.cruiseport.com

Click on the Destinations tab

Pick your destination (for instance Southern Caribbean)

Look for your sail date and port

You will see the names of the ships at that port on the sail date you are interested in - you can look for your departure date and your return date as well to see the number of ships at that port

Happy Cruising!

Thank you! Good info!

I keep reading about what a nightmare San Juan Airport is, but I've flown in and out of there three times and never had any issues. Their taxi system is extremely efficient and it takes no longer to get through this airport than any US airport. I try and get early flights [noonish] so I'm not sititng around for long periods, but I find this is a very easy airport to fly in and out of. I think they handle the crowds quite well.

I agree. I've been there twice in the past year (heading there again in 3 weeks-yay!), and have not had much trouble. Then again, we leave the ship and head straight to the airport in the morning. That way, we have seats and are settled before the crowds come. We quickly learned to try and fly out around noon if at all possible.

Archived