Carnival Dream: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

stevenr597

My wife and I are Platinum Level Cruisers who have been on Carnival ships for well over 10 years. We have always felt that Carnival was a excellent value for the money. We recently completed an eight day Eastern Carribean cruise July 17-25th on the MS Carnival Freedom. Here is a short review of our impressions:

The Good:

1) The staff was excellent in taking care of problems (such as seating arrangements in the dining room)

2) Entertainment: The "Broadway or Vegas" style shows were excellent. Carnival leads the way in this type of entertainment

3) MS Carnival Freedom: I have heard a lot of negetive comments about how Carnival ships are too glitzy. We think that Carnival ships (including the Freedom) are among the most attractive ships at sea

4) Quality of Food: We feel that the quality and variety of food rangs up with Celebrity and Cunard lines

5) Variety of entertainment: Unlike many other cruise lines, there are always things to do well past midnight. Amoung our favorites was the Piano Bar and Karioke.

6) Cabin: We booked a suite. Plenty of room. The room was also quiet at night

7) Cabin Stewart: Excellent.

8) Dining Room Staff: We had "anytime" dining and some of the waiter were excellent

9) Chef's Tour: We elected to have the personal tour of the kitchen and a meal made up by the master chef. It was pricey, but one of the highlights of the cruise.

10) Eating breakfast and lunch in the dining room. A good way to get hot food served to you and to avoid the crowds of the Lido Deck. Very enjoyable.

The Bad:

1) The weather. Terrible weather in Puertro Rico and St. Thomas. But we blame this on nature, not on Carnival

2) Lido Deck; Can become crowded at breakfast and lunch. On one occasion they ran out of food on one of the lines on the Lido.

3) Any time dining. Carnival needs to work on this. While we, at times, we did have good waiters, at other times we felt that the dining room staff was "...only going through the motions" and didn't really care. While the quality of food was excellent, presentation at times was in need of significant improvement.

4) Midnight Buffet- We know the excuse, "...we did away with the buffet because it was a waste of food." But can't Carnival have this at least on one night. It does add to the cruise. In addition, Carnival no longer opens up a station at night on the Lido Deck for hamburgers, instead serving fruit on the Prominade Deck

5) Tours: On Tortula was took a tour of the island. We sat on the back of a converted truck. The condition of the roads were terrible. This is an accident waiting to happen.

6) Drinks. Carnival no longer had pretzels or other lite foods served when you order a drink. Carnival you are getting too cheap!!!

7) Cigar Bar. Carnival moved the Cigar Bar from the Havanna Bar to the sports deck. We feel that this is a mistake.

8) We do not feel that this ship is as "well run" as some of the other Carnival ships.

The Ugly:

1) Dress standards. We know that this is the Carribean during the summer. Many people do not wish to "dress up" for the dining room. But there should be some type of "dress standard" that is enforced at least for Elegant Night. On the formal night the dining room was filled with people who were seriously underdressed. This does take away from the experience of individuals who take the time and effort to get dressed up for at least 1 or 2 nights on the cruise. We respect the right of individuals who do not wish to "dress up" but couldn't they, at least on Elegant Night, respect the individuals who do get dressed up and eat dinner on the Lido Deck if they wish to reamin in shorts and tank-tops.

2) Dress standards on the Prominade Deck. Non-existent. Here again people were way underdressed for an evening of entertainment on this desk.

3) Ships Photographers: It used to be nice to pose for a photograph at a station on the Prominade Deck. But there are way to many photographers. They block the Prominade Deck and the staircase in the Atrium This takes away from walking the ship before dinner, especially on Elegant Night.

Carnival is still a good value for the money. Although our cruise was enjoyable we feel that Carnival is beginning to fall behind the ships of RCCL, and Princess.

I don't believe there is a dress standard for the Promenade Deck in the evenings. Perhaps you are thinking of another line? In fact, it's a common practice for people to change out of their dressier togs after dinner.

But I agree that there are too many photogs. They're turning into vultures.

I'm not understanding why your thread is titled "Carnival Dream, the good, bad and ugly" when you were obviously not on the Dream. It is not sailing 8 nighters and not going to Puerto Rico. Am I missing something?:confused:

We are sailing on the Freedom in 3 weeks and are disappointed to hear the midnight buffet is no longer available. There is nothing like hitting the buffet after an evening of shows and dancing in the nightclubs.

I'm not understanding why your thread is titled "Carnival Dream, the good, bad and ugly" when you were obviously not on the Dream. It is not sailing 8 nighters and not going to Puerto Rico. Am I missing something?:confused:

Yes you are right it is confusing. In the first paragraph they explain they were actually on the Carnival Freedom.

The title is wrong... it should be Carnival Freedom:The good, the bad and the ugly."

We are sailing on the Freedom in 3 weeks and are disappointed to hear the midnight buffet is no longer available. There is nothing like hitting the buffet after an evening of shows and dancing in the nightclubs.

There is food available after/around midnight in some way. What I think the OP was referring to was the old "Gala Midnight Buffet" with the food sculptures, etc.

We usually grab Pizza after the clubs.

I don't believe there is a dress standard for the Promenade Deck in the evenings. Perhaps you are thinking of another line? In fact, it's a common practice for people to change out of their dressier togs after dinner.

But I agree that there are too many photogs. They're turning into vultures.

I was wondering about that too....:confused: Never heard of that.

The midnight buffets disappaeared by the end of September 08 on all ships. They were cool to marvel at, but too many people were not eating enough and a lot of it went to waste.

Post elegant night dinner dress--As soon as I leave I go back to my cabin to get my shorts and tank top on and head down to the show lounge to get me a place for the show. I have to wear dress clothes at work, so the least time I can wear them on holidays the better! It is nice to see some still wearing their flashy dress though, but for me it is too warm to stay in it!

So is it just pizza and burgers that are available late night? It's been a couple of years since I sailed on Carnival, but I do remember the pizza, caesar salads and calzones on the Lido were very good and always available.

I know room service is always an option, but I was hoping for something a little more substantial. Any other venues open late night? I am a night owl.

While I haven't cruised on the Freedom, we were just on the Liberty. Only food available after hours is pizza, salad and calzone in the aft section of the ship. I don't recall burgers. Some ships, like the Legend, are offering a Mexican buffet one night around 11 or so on the Lido. Then, there is always room service as you mentioned.

have a great cruise. :)

My mistake, we had sailed on the MS Carnival Freedom...sorry for the confusion

There is food available after/around midnight in some way. What I think the OP was referring to was the old "Gala Midnight Buffet" with the food sculptures, etc.

We usually grab Pizza after the clubs.

In addition to the Pizza being open 24 hours, Carnival used to open up a station on the Lido deck for hamburgers, frankfurters and snacks from 11:00 P.M. - 1:00 A.M. We had found this to be very popular. On the Freedom Carnival decided to do away with this and on the Prominade deck open a station (where the Sushi Bar is) for fresh fruit and one fried entry. While this is nice, we missed the evening hamburger station.

Archived