Westerdam itinerary change and possible upgrade

fairweather

I just noticed that the Westerdam is going to take over the Rotterdam's Alaska itinerary next summer in Alaska. I was wondering if it would first be upgraded with the new restaurants, bars, and aft pool set up that other smaller ships are getting.

We really enjoyed our back-to-back Alaska Glacier Bay trip on the Zaandam three years ago and would love to go back and see Sitka and a different glacier on a renovated ship. No one does Alaska cruising like HAL.

Sorry if I'm going over old news. I think I might have missed a press release.

Actually the Westerdam is resuminng her old Alaskan cruise schedule. She has done that for a while but this year - 2010 - she headed to Europe to have a couple of enhancements added -- Canaletto -- and to be chartered for the soccer games in South Africa.

In past years we have done her repositioning cruises from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle. And one year we even added on an Alaskan cruise.

I was wondering if it would first be upgraded with the new restaurants, bars, and aft pool set up that other smaller ships are getting.

There would be no need to "upgrade" the Westerdam's aft with The Retreat as she already has a full aft pool on the Lido Deck.

It looks like that little "experiment" will be limited to the two ships that already were butchered, er, renovated. :rolleyes:

This is Westerdam's attempt to have an upscale Italian restaurant. It is in one corner of the Lido Buffet restaurant and was opened for dinner only in May 2010. The food wasn't particularly special, the service was good and there was no extra charge but reservations were "required." It wasn't too busy at the start of the cruise but that changed as the days went by. If they can improve the quality of the food and improve the menu selection it is a nice alternative.

lol. Who knows if any of these upgrades or enhancements are anything but new ways to increase profits by selling you things you don't want.

All I need on an Alaska cruise is a comfortable bed at night and a deckchair with a warm blanket during the day to watch the passing scenery and wildlife. I can't get over how the mountains just seem to keep coming and going just like the whales and dolphins, if you are lucky.

So that was the bar space in the Zaandam pool area that was hardly every used? I can see an Italian patio restaurant there at night. It would be a nice, even romantic alternative in the Caribbean with the pool roof open under the stars. But it would be pretty cold in Alaska.

Does the Westerdam have the pizza bar out on the aft deck, too? I always thought that area was under utilized on the Zaandam as well. It would be a good way to move unsuppervised children out into the fresh air and make the inside pool area a little less hectic.

Sometimes you just want a new warm place besides the Exploration Lounge to read or listen to your iPod music. When the pool roof is on, it can get pretty loud. Speaking of which, is there one of those glitzy piano bars on the Westerdam, too? It's funny how this makes so much sense on a Caribbean vacation but not on an Alaska itinerary.

Does the Westerdam have the pizza bar out on the aft deck, too? I always thought that area was under utilized on the Zaandam as well. It would be a good way to move unsuppervised children out into the fresh air and make the inside pool area a little less hectic.

HAL tries to route kids to the Lido pool, and keep the aft pool more for adults. On some ships it is an adult area; on others it changes based on that cruise' demographics.

Speaking of which, is there one of those glitzy piano bars on the Westerdam, too?

The Westerdam has a really nice Piano Bar. Fairly good size, with several tables near to and away from the piano. Also a few barstools around the piano itself. It's a really great place to spend the evening.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do a little more research, but the Westerdm itinerary and HAL experience looks too good not to book for next summer. It really helps to get the low down from those who have traveled on the same ship you're thinking about taking. I can hear that piano now.

Archived