Navigator 8690 ?

This is a corner aft cabin. Can anyone tell me if the metal superstructure is more or less intrusive on these corner balconies than those on deck 7 aft middle? We had the deck 7 middle aft last year and there was quite a bit of metal obstruction to look through. Looking at the deck plans make me think that with the corner aft on deck 8 there may be not so much metal in sightlines. Am I correct or not, please? Holding cabin till tomorrow to decide.

Our group aboard the Navigator last December occupied most of the aft cabins on deck 8, including 8690. We were next to 8690 in 8692.

8690 was very similar to our cabin, but very dark, as there was a door with a small window compared to our floor to ceiling sliding glass doors. I loved our stateroom - huge balcony and lots of light. 8690 is on the corner, and the room itself seemed identical to ours as far as the furniture configuration was concerned - I did not notice any metal obstructions. With that said, their balcony was large, just like ours. At one point, we had 26 people on our balcony and stateroom for one of our many sailaway parties we had at our stateroom. You'll love your balcony. My only regret is we didn't spend much time enjoying it.

I don't mean to put a damper on 8690; it's got a great balcony and a very nice stateroom - just not as much light as the others. If you can, I would recommend you try to get 8692.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Monarch of the Seas

21 November 2004 Carnival Pride

20 February 2005 Mariner of the Seas CC Group Cruise

Wouldn't it be possible to have the door open when we wanted more light or to see out better? Maybe this is the type of door I see people recommend taking a bungee cord along in order to hold it open. Would that work? I really want an aft cabin and this is the only one available on this Aug 28 sailing.

There is nothing wrong with Rm. 8690 aboard the Navigator, except that I personally found it a little dark compared to other balcony cabins. Sure, you can probably prop open the door somehow, but as soon as you open the door, the air conditioner will go off. If that's okay, and it sounds like you want an aft balcony regardless, then go for it.

I looked at the balcony cabins on either side of the ship (we had members of our group in those as well). Except for a larger balcony on the aft, the rooms were configured the same.

You get less wind on the aft balconies and of course, the larger balcony. If you really plan to take advantage of the balcony, then go for it. With the exception of three sail away parties, I never spent time on ours. There was just too much to see and do elsewhere on the ship. On the other hand, I appreciated the natural light in the morning and somehow, the floor to ceiling windows made the room seem larger - less clausterphobic. I never once propped open our door, as it was too hot and humid to do so. But I hear of people doing so. And from what I understand, a lot of ships out there (Carnival being one of them) have doors to the balcony, not sliding glass patio type doors.

My only thing (and it sounds like this isn't an issue for you) is the fact that there is a door with a small window rather than floor to ceiling windows, which I confess, would be important to me. If given the choice, understanding that I won't spend that much time on our balcony, I'd prefer a smaller balcony just to have the light over one with a door. But that's me.

Good luck.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Monarch of the Seas

21 November 2004 Carnival Pride

20 February 2005 Mariner of the Seas CC Group Cruise

Archived