Private tours & getting back to ship on time?

erdoran

I've always done ship-sponsored excursions because I'm petrified that there might be a problem on a private tour (breakdown, whatever) and I'll miss my departure. From all the talk on here that isn't an issue? We're booked with Bodden tours in Roatan, thinking of Native Tours in Costa Maya and not sure what yet in Cozumel. Anything I should worry about/precautions to take when on a private tour? (private doesn't mean just us, what I mean by that is an excursion NOT sponsored by the cruise line)

Erdoran- Relax and enjoy your tours. We haven't taken a ship's tour on any of our 12 cruises. The excursion operators make their living handling cruise ship passengers and as long as you find them endorsed on these boards, check by googling, and communicate with them we have found reliability high. We just utilized both Victor Bodden and thenativechoice and found their people and equipment to be excellent (pricing too). We booked the Tucan Sailing Adventure in Cozumel with cozumelsailing and they offer a great trip too, the lunch was the best of the week, I'd highly recommend them. Have fun, do your research, relax. DMaugle

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose there is always a chance of problems but these local tour guides make their living from providing these tours so they want you to make your ship as much as you do. If you have Bodden tours booked it will be a private tour. We did a tour with Tex one of his guides in November and had a fabulous time. If you use some of the ones like Bodden's mentioned time and time again on the boards you will be fine. They have phones with them, etc so if they had problems they could call someone to come and help. I'm not against ship's tours as I've had some goods ones but have also had some fabulous tours booked independently.

It might make you feel more at ease if you allow yourself to get back to the ship a few hours before departure.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise and enjoy Roatan. It is now one of my favorite islands as it is so incredibly beautiful.

I've taken ship tours & booked independently. Independent tours win hands down. Cost is less and more importantly a better, more private tour. As someone mentioned, leave yourself a little extra time to get back to the ship. I also ask when booking what provisions does the company have if there is van trouble. All have said drivers have cell phones & they would send another van out for you. If a tour was hours & hours away, I may consider booking with the ship. Anything else I would be confident they'll get me back in time. Their business depends on it.

Archived