arriving in san juan

grublet22

If your flight does arrive by 1:30 you will not have a problem. RCCL departs at 8:30, Carnival Victory at 10 and the other around 9. You should be onboard 1 1/2 hour ahead of sailing. The ports are 15 - 30 mins from SJU depending on traffic. Make sure you know which pier you are sailing from as there are two. Old San Juan (which Carnival uses) and Pan Am pier (which the others use). The ships that stop for a day use the OSJ pier.

I agree with Keith. Go the day before. Unless you've booked airfare thru Princess I'd check into getting a hotel room. We've booked our airfare for December to San Juan and the flight times have already changed. Remember....they won't wait on you.

To the original poster - I will run the risk of offering advice you did not ask for. But I strongly agree with the previous replies. This topic has been raised frequently on various boards here on Cruise Critic. The general consensus is that we should try our best to arrive at the port city at least one day in advance. What if your flight is seriously delayed? - imagine how anxious you will be waiting for you flight departure, wondering if you will make it on time. Planes have been known to develop mechanical problems, etc. The odds are very good that your flight will arrive on time, but......

I know that some cruisers have other commitments in life and cannot get away even one day prior to the cruise, but please think about it. If not, be sure to buy trip insurance.

To the original poster - I will run the risk of offering advice you did not ask for. But I strongly agree with the previous replies. This topic has been raised frequently on various boards here on Cruise Critic. The general consensus is that we should try our best to arrive at the port city at least one day in advance. What if your flight is seriously delayed? - imagine how anxious you will be waiting for you flight departure, wondering if you will make it on time. Planes have been known to develop mechanical problems, etc. The odds are very good that your flight will arrive on time, but......

I know that some cruisers have other commitments in life and cannot get away even one day prior to the cruise, but please think about it. If not, be sure to buy trip insurance.

To expand on this, we felt like we might waste the whole first day of our trip being tired from being up at the crack of dawn hustling around airports. We are very much looking forward to a relaxing breakfast and on to the ship. Although if your cofortable flying in the day of departure 1:30 should be plenty early and you could still stand a few hour delay and make it ok. I would book the most direct flight you can to ensure less chance of trouble.

We fly in a day early, and book our room through priceline. Each time we get the Intercontinental. It's a great place. In Oct we arrive in San Juan at 10:30 AM on Sunday. We'll have all day Sunday and Monday to explore Old Town, hang at the beach and pool, etc. The cruise leaves Monday evening, so it's like adding two days to the vacation. And like the others have said, gives us an extra day to deal with flight delays.

We live in Northern California and once cruised out of San Diego. The cruise sailed at 4:00 PM. We thought since it was just a short hop from SF downsouth, we would leave on the morning of the cruise. Well...the plane was delayed an hour, then delayed ANOTHER hour. Needless to say we were becoming concerned. We made it, but it was closer than we would have liked. I will NEVER fly to a cruise ship on the same day again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone......we are taking the advice and have booked flights and hotel for the day before. Yes, I am glad we did because flights have already been changed once. You all are awesome and so was your advice!:)

Thanks for the advice everyone......we are taking the advice and have booked flights and hotel for the day before. Yes, I am glad we did because flights have already been changed once. You all are awesome and so was your advice!:)

Excellent decision! Now have fun planning the rest of your vacation :D

###

Archived