Alaska cruise: how to choose excursion?

tjroadster

I just received the brochure from Princess Cruiseline and was overwhelmed by the excursion options that are available out there. Where should we start?

Start by reading some books about Alaska. Frommer's and Fodor's are good places to start. Check your local library.

Read about each port and get a feel for what there is to do at each port.

You could google, "what to do in "X" " and learn the highlights of each port.

You could also do an advanced search on this forum, doing a title search by each port name.

In no time at all you will soon realize what the true highlights are in each port and you will be drawn to certain activities. A lot will depend on your personal interests. Don't get caught up on what people say are "must dos." Your must dos and my must dos might be totally different because we are likely very different people.

You will also need to determine your budget. Alaskan excursions are VERY costly. One excursion can run hundreds of dollars per person.

Don't be afraid to try independent vendors in Alaska. You can do a search on this forum to find the ones that come highly recommended. You will often save a little money by going independent. However, the main advantage tends to be the smaller groups and therefore a more personal experience. However, again, it is personal preference. Some people don't want to take the time to research independents. They just like to sign up with the cruiseship and let them take care of the details. Do whatever works best for you.

Good luck as you continue to plan your trip. Alaska is an amazing place, that is for sure!!! Good planning will result in one amazing vacation.

As many selections as they appear to be some are really permutations of of similar things. Each port has its signature things, from my memory...

Ketchikan: Totem poles, lumberjack show, salmon fishing, Misty Fjord float planes, bear excursions and crab fishing tour.

Juneau: Helicopter tours, Mendenhall Glacier, whale watching, tracy Arm all day excursions

Skagway: Yukon Highway, Railway, Hains Glacier expediation, helicopter excursion.

In addition several ports offer ziplining, various wildlife excursion etc. You can't even come close to doing what is available in each or one of everything. IMHO reflect on why you decided on Alaska and pick what interest you most. As many as there were there really were very few that I even did more then just glance at and say not for me.

Cruise critic is also a wonderfuly resource, pose some questions to the cruisers here.

Happy planning!

I just received the brochure from Princess Cruiseline and was overwhelmed by the excursion options that are available out there. Where should we start?

Archived