using credit card points for obc

jbelle

I just used points from my Mastercard to purchase on board credit. I recived a confirmation email saying that it was confirmed that I had purchased $150 of "shipboard credit". There was no information on how it would be sent to my cruise. They didn't ask for any information, like my Reservation ID or even which ship it was to be sent to. Has anyone else had experience with this? Thanks for any advice.

Yes, your travel agent ia able to access parts of your reservation that you cannot....at least that's been my experience.:)

He/She can verify OBC being posted to my acct pre-cruise (example shareholder credits for OBC). Can also see any special requests noted from "special needs" dept and other similar requests.

Are there any restictions for you with combining you credit card point for OBC since they are not from Celebrity?

Are there any restictions for you with combining you credit card point for OBC since they are not from Celebrity?

No, OBC that you've purchased with credit card points has no restrictions as to what it can be combined with and it is refundable OBC. There are two kinds: refundable and nonrefundable. If you have refundable OBC left at the end of the cruise, you will receive a credit on your credit card used to settle your shipboard account. Since you can use OBC to take care of the tips which are charged to your account daily, it rare to have any left.

The old redemption system worked much better. In the old system, you called BOA and requested a certificate, they would give you the certificate number, over the phone, immediately. they also mailed the certificate to you. With the certificate number in hand, all you had to do was call Captain's Club, give them the certificate number and the credits were applied to your booking. simple.

Under the new system, you only get an E-mail that says you have redeemed a certain number of points towards your selected reward. Apparently the same E-mail goes to Celebrity. At that point, they are supposed to take the E-mail, search their booking record to find out if you have a cruise booked, and then apply the credit.

IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

I redeemed points for a $250.00 discount in the price of the cruise. I did this over 6 weeks ago. I waited a couple of days, then called Captain's Club, was transferred to two different agents, was put on hold, then she said that yes they had found it and they would apply the certificate amount within 5 days. I waited another week, and called them again, went through the same drill, still did not receive my credit.

I then transferred my booking to our TA, and she has been trying for the last two weeks to get it applied. Since Celebrity has changed the final payment due date from 70 days to 75 days prior to the cruise, we have to pay off the balance by next Tuesday.

My TA called me this morning and told me that Celebrity told her that it would NOT be applied prior to our final payment date, and that the new final payment date of 75 days prior to the cruise was a firm date. They gave her some story about how it takes time for them to verify the validity of the reward. (BS).. My TA was told that when they did approve the credit, it would be credited back to my Credit Card, and that I would have to make the final $300.00 payment on the outstanding balance, or our reservation might be subject to cancellation.

That is a load of you know what. A couple of weeks ago I found a $200.00/pp reduction in the fare, Celebrity did not want to give it to us, but since we had booked before they changed their reduction in price policy, we were entitled to it. We were given a $400.00 OBC credit.

The point is, we have already paid them a $100.00 payment in excess of what they show is still outstanding ($400 minus $300 still outstanding)

They won't apply the $400.00 in excess payment against the outstanding balance and still want the $300.00 more. They did say they will credit it back to us on our credit card. I directed my TA to pay the final amount and to request that the $250.00 for the certificate be credited towards our OBC account. Waiting to hear from my TA tomorrow if she was successful in getting that done.

This leaves a pretty sour taste in my mouth when Celebrity treats a long term customer in this manner (We are Diamond on Royal and Elite on Celebrity, over 20 cruises between the two lines)

Now I have had my rant, I have learned a lesson. Next time I redeem points, I will cut celebrity out of the loop and just request cash from BOA or a credit directly to my credit card.

Hypo

Hypo....I didn't think that was a rant at all...just a statement of what occurred. You were definitely NOT "hyper":p

Seriously, it was well written and expressed you expereience. That is what we (properly) do on CC. I can see where it would be helpful info for others.

PS: I do not know this poster. Have not sailed with him/her. Just IMHO.

Hypo....I didn't think that was a rant at all...just a statement of what occurred. You were definitely NOT "hyper":p

Seriously, it was well written and expressed you expereience. That is what we (properly) do on CC. I can see where it would be helpful info for others.

PS: I do not know this poster. Have not sailed with him/her. Just IMHO.

Thanks for your kind words. But I am originally from Iowa. :D

(Estherville)

Hypo, I think that for most of us it does work and perhaps there's a confusion on what the credit is all about. As I understood it, the Celebrity credit card gives you On-Board credit, meaning that it is applied to your shipboard account to offset charges once the cruise has started. It is not a cruise fare reduction. It has never, as far as I know, been applied to an account prior to cruising, which is what you are trying to do.

Hypo, I think that for most of us it does work and perhaps there's a confusion on what the credit is all about. As I understood it, the Celebrity credit card gives you On-Board credit, meaning that it is applied to your shipboard account to offset charges once the cruise has started. It is not a cruise fare reduction. It has never, as far as I know, been applied to an account prior to cruising, which is what you are trying to do.

Look at the redemption options for cruise upgrades, one of them is for $250.00 off the price. I really did not want to use it for OBC as we already have a rather large amount due to a price reduction ($400.00), Stockholder credit($100.00) and a rather significant amount from our TA.

We will not spend all of the OBC we already have, and I will have to turn DW loose in the jewelry store.:cool:

Hypo

Archived