Map "capitolium" Roman Forum and Palatino

starwhite2

One of you posted this map, I forget who. I think it's the best map so far that I've seen to get a sense of what area is in relation to what, especially the ticket office on Via di San Gregorio.

http://www.capitolium.org/photo/piantina.jpg

My question: I'm going to do my own walking tour of Foro Romano and Palatino while the others in my van are going elsewhere. Is a good place for me to be picked up at the "T" above the letter "E" in Gregorio? I will need a place to wait and be seen by the van driver. Or is another exit a better place?

Thanks to whoever posted this map.

Are you going there when it will be hot? Where are you entering? You will walk a lot there to see it all and most likely you'll need to backtrack to get to the place you suggested. If it's hot that might be a waste of your energy.

There are various exits you can choose from. I exit near the number 27 on your map, but Piazza Venezia is a huge traffic area, so you'd need your driver to tell you exactly where he'll be. He could drive by on the way to drop you off and point out exactly where he will be waiting for you.

One of you posted this map, I forget who. I think it's the best map so far that I've seen to get a sense of what area is in relation to what, especially the ticket office on Via di San Gregorio.

http://www.capitolium.org/photo/piantina.jpg

My question: I'm going to do my own walking tour of Foro Romano and Palatino while the others in my van are going elsewhere. Is a good place for me to be picked up at the "T" above the letter "E" in Gregorio? I will need a place to wait and be seen by the van driver. Or is another exit a better place?

Thanks to whoever posted this map.

Have you ever used Google Maps?

Here is the street-level view of your proposed pickup place here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rome&sll=41.887889,12.490015&sspn=0.000931,0.001047&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rome,+Lazio,+Italy&ll=41.887859,12.490009&spn=0.000928,0.001047&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=41.887889,12.490015&panoid=NFHAaA-y9ZWIcyHqJtUwEg&cbp=12,243.64,,0,17.22

Personally, I'd be picked up at the main entrance/ticket office off the Via dei Fori Imperiali at the Largo Corrado Ricci (See #6 on your map). It is a small side street/parking area where your van can safely pull off the road. Here's the street-view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rome&sll=41.887889,12.490015&sspn=0.000931,0.001047&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rome,+Lazio,+Italy&ll=41.887859,12.490009&spn=0.000928,0.001047&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=41.887889,12.490015&panoid=NFHAaA-y9ZWIcyHqJtUwEg&cbp=12,243.64,,0,17.22

And, while there are plenty of possible pull-off areas in and around the Piazza Venezia, I'd probably avoid that area unless your van driver is highly skilled and you are good at dodging all the buses and cars!

Using Google Maps, you can actually walk (or drive) sections of certain cities (including Roma) to familiarize yourself with the streets, landmarks, etc. BEFORE you arrive! Especially useful if you are going to be coordinate a pickup when you're all new to an area! :)

Have you ever used Google Maps?

Here is the street-level view of your proposed pickup place here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rome&sll=41.887889,12.490015&sspn=0.000931,0.001047&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rome,+Lazio,+Italy&ll=41.887859,12.490009&spn=0.000928,0.001047&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=41.887889,12.490015&panoid=NFHAaA-y9ZWIcyHqJtUwEg&cbp=12,243.64,,0,17.22

Personally, I'd be picked up at the main entrance/ticket office off the Via dei Fori Imperiali at the Largo Corrado Ricci (See #6 on your map). It is a small side street/parking area where your van can safely pull off the road. Here's the street-view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rome&sll=41.887889,12.490015&sspn=0.000931,0.001047&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rome,+Lazio,+Italy&ll=41.887859,12.490009&spn=0.000928,0.001047&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=41.887889,12.490015&panoid=NFHAaA-y9ZWIcyHqJtUwEg&cbp=12,243.64,,0,17.22

And, while there are plenty of possible pull-off areas in and around the Piazza Venezia, I'd probably avoid that area unless your van driver is highly skilled and you are good at dodging all the buses and cars!

Using Google Maps, you can actually walk (or drive) sections of certain cities (including Roma) to familiarize yourself with the streets, landmarks, etc. BEFORE you arrive! Especially useful if you are going to be coordinate a pickup when you're all new to an area! :)

Terpnut: both of your urls above are the same. Can you send me a photo of the place (either drop-off or pick up) by the entrance at Largo Corrado Ricci?

I'm not sure how much time I will have on my own. My small group (8) is doing the Vatican (which I will be doing) and the Colosseum (which I may beg out of since I've been there twice). During the day the group is going to lunch (waste of time, I will beg out of that), the Spanish Steps (been there, I can see people sitting on steps anywhere), the Trevi Fountain (been there, did my coin toss), Piazza Navona (lovely, but not essential for me). I've been to the forum twice, once when I was very youthful, and once when I was older but knew nothing. I did take moving pictures and still shots which I am studying like crazy. But this was 27 years ago. Can you believe my friend and I were the only ones in the Forum [it was a cold and rainy day in Nov. - marvelous experience]. I plan to know every structure's appearance and location before I even step in.

In my wildest dreams I wanted to do the fori imperiali but I know that's not possible this trip.

It appears at this point the driver could let me off at the entrance at Corrado Ricci and pick me up on San Gregorio.

Mille grazie.

It appears at this point the driver could let me off at the entrance at Corrado Ricci and pick me up on San Gregorio.

This sounds like a plan. If you start at Ricci, you can wander the entire Forum, then head up to Palatine, and meet your group at the other end of Palatine (San Gregorio). The drop off point will be fairly busy, but the pick up point won't, so it will be easier to find each other.

Terpnut: both of your urls above are the same. Can you send me a photo of the place (either drop-off or pick up) by the entrance at Largo Corrado Ricci?

I'm not sure how much time I will have on my own. My small group (8) is doing the Vatican (which I will be doing) and the Colosseum (which I may beg out of since I've been there twice). During the day the group is going to lunch (waste of time, I will beg out of that), the Spanish Steps (been there, I can see people sitting on steps anywhere), the Trevi Fountain (been there, did my coin toss), Piazza Navona (lovely, but not essential for me). I've been to the forum twice, once when I was very youthful, and once when I was older but knew nothing. I did take moving pictures and still shots which I am studying like crazy. But this was 27 years ago. Can you believe my friend and I were the only ones in the Forum [it was a cold and rainy day in Nov. - marvelous experience]. I plan to know every structure's appearance and location before I even step in.

In my wildest dreams I wanted to do the fori imperiali but I know that's not possible this trip.

Mille grazie.

Let's try again: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rome&sll=41.887889,12.490015&sspn=0.000931,0.001047&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rome,+Lazio,+Italy&t=h&layer=c&cbll=41.893052,12.487464&panoid=63p26KDWFDkYbvmQibnvRg&cbp=12,210.64,,0,9.49&ll=41.893109,12.487362&spn=0.000931,0.001047&z=20.

Again, using google maps, it is very easy for you to use the street-level views to walk many of the local roads. Make sure you are in satellite view mode and zoom all the way into a street you're interested in until a street-level icon appears and then click away! Try it yourself!

Have a great time in Roma!

Mille grazie.

You are a traveler after my own heart; you will enjoy the time spent in the Forum and Palatine Hill. Your planned drop off and pick up sound reasonable to me.

If you have time, you can walk along the street level and see a good deal of the Forii Imperialii as well. I tremendously enjoyed gaining entrance via the museum (which has some great visuals to help orient you), and then to be able to actually walk through Trajan's forum and market. Fascinating stuff.

Archived