Made cruise reservations online, now what?

oceanfun77

So I made my cruise reservations online with a discount company yesterday morning. The only thing I received was an e-mail confirmation. Am I supposed to receive additional information in the mail or is the e-mail confirmation the ticket already (like e-ticketing for flights?)

Sorry for such a novice question. It's my first time.

Create an account at the cruiseline Web site (HAL, Princess, etc), put in your reservation number and everything will be there. At the dock you don't really need any paperwork other than your passport.

So I made my cruise reservations online with a discount company yesterday morning. The only thing I received was an e-mail confirmation. Am I supposed to receive additional information in the mail or is the e-mail confirmation the ticket already (like e-ticketing for flights?)

Well, you got what you paid for -- nothing. Guess you are on your own now.

A good full service Travel Agent would be answering all these questions for you.

A good full service Travel Agent would be answering all these questions for you.

I totally disagree with you............ I have booked most of my 16 cruises with a online TA in Florida. Have always had great service!!! Any questions I have they always answer, send me all the info I need.

Also most times I get OBC and different perks, that I've never received from any TA here.

You constantly try and "promote" using a local TA, and always claim not using one is a big mistake. Absolutely not the case. This poster asked a simple question that is now answered. This board is FAR more informative, than ANY TA, including your dear wife- who I'll speculate has had to "consult" this board as well.

Thanks for your advice on signing into the princess website. I signed in and all the information I needed was there.

I did try a real live agent initially but they could not give me much information. They just gave me brochures. Anyway, I agree with BudgetQueen that this board has been tremendously helpful with all my questions. I appreciate everyone's help :)

You constantly try and "promote" using a local TA, and always claim not using one is a big mistake. Absolutely not the case. This poster asked a simple question that is now answered. This board is FAR more informative, than ANY TA, including your dear wife- who I'll speculate has had to "consult" this board as well.

I totally agree with this BQ! I have a travel agent and most of my concerns I discovered while reading CC. I had to bring them to her attention.

And she is with a very large agency with a fabulous reputation. I think many TAs are waaaay overworked these days.

I think many TAs are waaaay overworked these days.

And many are waaaay under-qualified - even the ones with a piece of paper hanging on the wall. Too many TAs have never been anywhere and just read the same brochures their clients can read.

Now that you have found out how to access your reservation, the FUN really begins....you get to pick your shore excursions!!!

We used a local TA for our very first cruise and land trip....we have done it ourselves online ever since. The internet has a wealth of information and boards like CC are invaluable resources.

Most online TAs also have toll free numbers and/or assign you an agent when you book (check for a name and extension or 800 number in your confirmation). I have asked many questions via my assigned travel agent once a booking has been made. They are happy to help.

You should have been given the cruiseline booking number?? IF not get it from the booking agent. Then do as Murray describes, above.

Verify you charges on your credit card along the way too.

Yukon=Murray as in Murray's Guide? If so, we loved using your guide to drive the Yukon Highway from Skagway on June 29th (my birthday). Such beautiful scenery and we saw many things (and knew what they were) thanks to your guide. It was a great way to turn 40 - Ed (in Carcross) even put a straw for a candle in my burger at lunch and made my DH sing happy birthday to me!

I have to say that it was my most memorable birthday (so far!!:D)

Yukon=Murray as in Murray's Guide? If so, we loved using your guide to drive the Yukon Highway from Skagway on June 29th (my birthday). Such beautiful scenery and we saw many things (and knew what they were) thanks to your guide. It was a great way to turn 40 - Ed (in Carcross) even put a straw for a candle in my burger at lunch and made my DH sing happy birthday to me!

I have to say that it was my most memorable birthday (so far!!:D)

YEP, it's him!!!!! And I finally had the pleasure of meeting him this year. :)

His guide is a remarkable piece of detailed touring, that really enhances a self drive trip. Absolutely "necessary" in my opinion.

I agree, Budgetqueen, it really is 'necessary'. You could do the drive without it, but you would miss so much along the way (or not really know what it is/was/was once used for). It certainly enhances the ride in so many ways. We flet much more comfortable knowing what to look for, what was coming next and noticing the mileage to see if we missed something (those things were marked so we would catch them on the return trip!)

Thanks for such a great guide, Murray.

I also used an online outlet and got several hundred dollars in shipboard/spa credits during a sale. I signed in to RCI's website and there was all my information!

I'm doing tons of research here....Thank God for all you people! Keep on posting all your advice and recommendations! As far as excursions, I would never take one travel agent's opinion over what I'm able to find out from many here. You all are really my travel agents!

In the course of my research, I found I wanted to change my stateroom. Contacted the online agency and it was done within a half an hour.

I've also had questions about Choice Air, travel insurance and other things. They get right back to me with their advice. Granted, I've had 3 different people, but they all are right there for me.

I also used an online outlet and got several hundred dollars in shipboard/spa credits during a sale. I signed in to RCI's website and there was all my information!

I'm doing tons of research here....Thank God for all you people! Keep on posting all your advice and recommendations! As far as excursions, I would never take one travel agent's opinion over what I'm able to find out from many here. You all are really my travel agents!

In the course of my research, I found I wanted to change my stateroom. Contacted the online agency and it was done within a half an hour.

I've also had questions about Choice Air, travel insurance and other things. They get right back to me with their advice. Granted, I've had 3 different people, but they all are right there for me.

Just a piece of information. Some online agencies will charge you for changing your cabin. It is always best to learn ahead of time what they will charge for. Some will charge a cancellation fee even if it is before final payment. So, just know what you are buying, so there are not surprises.

I booked my first ever cruise and that too using internet. I got cheapest rates, OBC and clear understanding of cancellation policies.

I called them a few times and all the questions were answered, albeit by different consultants.

I booked all my excursions on my own courtesy detailed discussions on CC and helpful members sharing their experience and providing advice and ideas.

Who needs a travel agent anymore........

Archived