Rome Hotel to CivitavecchiaPort by Train

oshawa

Yes, I tried the search engine - came up with nothing. Could someone please help me in making a decision. I have been given a price of 130 euros (2 persons) and just wondering since this is quite expensive would it be much cheaper to take the trainand how difficult would this be.

Appreciate your responses.

Not sure where your hotel is, but it is very easy to get to the port by going to Termini train station. There are multiple trains leaving at all times to Civitavecchia. Some are express trains and can get you there in 41 minutes, I think the cost was not more than 12 or 14 Euro. We took the "regular" train, took about 1 hr 18 minutes, and it only cost us 4.50 Euro a piece!

There are multiple posts about the Civitavecchia train station as well. Once you get out of the train, you'll have to walk down and up some stairs - not that easy if you're carrying luggage - but it can be done. We took the train with lots of other cruisers to the boat.

You need to think about your own tolerance and patience as you weigh your options.

If you are going from a hotel in Rome, you'll first need to get to a train station. You'll either have a cab fare, or the aggravation of dealing with public transit with luggage. At the other end, you'll have the stairs to deal with at Civitavecchia, as mentioned already by labeachcomber, and traveling the 4/10ths of a mile from the train station to the port.

However, as already pointed out, it's significantly less expensive to use public transit, so you need to consider what works best for you.

There is also a bus option, although I'm not sure it's much easier. From downtown Rome, you take the metro A (direction Battistini) to the next to the last stop at Cornelia. There you transfer to a Cotral bus that drops you off on Via Roma in Civitavecchia, about a half mile from the port entrance. The bus ride takes 90 minutes. (You can look at the Cotral trip planner here: http://www.cotralspa.it/TrovaPercorso.asp)

It is reason enough not to overpack! The train from termini is very easy (I took the E4.50 one in June). Once you get to Civitavecchia, you leave the train station and stroll down the street to the port. At the entrance to the port you wait for the shuttle bus to your ship.

For me, it was a no-brainer. However, if you have difficulty walking or are uncomfortable navigating foreign train stations, spend the euros for the car service!

http://www.FloridaKeysGirl.com

Archived