$349 photo CD

LegalCat

Does anyone know anything about this CD of all your photos for $349??

We are going on a family vacation with 6 people in september and it might be worth it... i assume its all pics for one particular person or... ?

Any details would be greatly appreciated

Does anyone know anything about this CD of all your photos for $349??

We are going on a family vacation with 6 people in september and it might be worth it... i assume its all pics for one particular person or... ?

Any details would be greatly appreciated

All photos are organized by cabin. It will be all the pictures of the people in your cabin, and those that are WITH those in your cabin. For example, my nephew was in a different cabin but took some pictures with us. Because I gave the photographer MY card when he took the pictures, all those pictures were assigned to my cabin. I doubt they will combine pictures from multiple cabins, but you can ask.

By the way, if you are interested in the disk, get as many pictures taken as you can. There are several spots around the ship each evening where photographers are set up for pictures. You could potentially have dozens and dozens taken, which might make the disk worth it.

Very Very Expensive in my opinion.

I am a photography enthusiast and have my own studio where I do photography work on the side. I do it mostly for pleasure but also occasionally charge.

If I supply a CD it would usually have 100 photos, all suitably edited and enhanced for around $150

Having been on many cruise ships and met many of the photographers and seen their work I can tell you that they really aren't very good and $350 for what they produce (unedited photographs) is an awful lot of money.

Very Very Expensive in my opinion.

I am a photography enthusiast and have my own studio where I do photography work on the side. I do it mostly for pleasure but also occasionally charge.

If I supply a CD it would usually have 100 photos, all suitably edited and enhanced for around $150

Having been on many cruise ships and met many of the photographers and seen their work I can tell you that they really aren't very good and $350 for what they produce (unedited photographs) is an awful lot of money.

Totally agree. A friend of mine recently bought a CD on Celebrity and :eek: I found at least half the shots to be poor quality. I don't know how the ship photographers are paid, but it can't be very lucrative if that's the quality the ships are able to attract.

I think her CD was $300 and though she felt they had a lot of pictures taken, it looked to me like there were at most 30-40 pictures on the CD. Her justification for buying it was that they were planning to go to a studio for family portraits anyway, which would have been over $100, and this way they left the ship with the CD and could send copies of photos to all their relatives (because you pay for the right to make copies as well).

Totally agree. A friend of mine recently bought a CD on Celebrity and :eek: I found at least half the shots to be poor quality. I don't know how the ship photographers are paid, but it can't be very lucrative if that's the quality the ships are able to attract.

I think her CD was $300 and though she felt they had a lot of pictures taken, it looked to me like there were at most 30-40 pictures on the CD. Her justification for buying it was that they were planning to go to a studio for family portraits anyway, which would have been over $100, and this way they left the ship with the CD and could send copies of photos to all their relatives (because you pay for the right to make copies as well).

Basically the way they justify it is that you have bought the copyright to the images. A lot of professional photographers do this. I don't because the images are of no use to me.

I charge about $60-$80 for a 1-2 hour sitting either in studio or out on location (which I actually prefer) and then we talk about the cost for prints.

Usually I charge about $15 for a 10x8 inch print or maybe $50 for 4 prints or if they simply want the CD about $150 for about 100 images all edited to enhance colour, lighting maybe a bit of photoshopping if necessary.

People would be much better off taking the family to a photographer once off the ship as far better quality is available for much much less than $349

To work on a cruise ship as a photographer you need no qualifications nor experience. Simply need to be an enthusiast that knows how to use an SLR properly which I could teach someone in about a day or two.

The pay is crap and they earn 90% of their earnings on comission for sales of prints, DVD's, CD's, Cameras, accessories etc. Their work is pretty much point and shoot however and very rarely edited to fully enhance the image but this is obviously down to the amount of images they are taking.

Basically the way they justify it is that you have bought the copyright to the images. A lot of professional photographers do this. I don't because the images are of no use to me.

I charge about $60-$80 for a 1-2 hour sitting either in studio or out on location (which I actually prefer) and then we talk about the cost for prints.

Usually I charge about $15 for a 10x8 inch print or maybe $50 for 4 prints or if they simply want the CD about $150 for about 100 images all edited to enhance colour, lighting maybe a bit of photoshopping if necessary.

People would be much better off taking the family to a photographer once off the ship as far better quality is available for much much less than $349

To work on a cruise ship as a photographer you need no qualifications nor experience. Simply need to be an enthusiast that knows how to use an SLR properly which I could teach someone in about a day or two.

The pay is crap and they earn 90% of their earnings on comission for sales of prints, DVD's, CD's, Cameras, accessories etc. Their work is pretty much point and shoot however and very rarely edited to fully enhance the image but this is obviously down to the amount of images they are taking.

If only there was a photographer where I am that charged your rates! I suppose I could take my family to Sears or Walmart... ha ha ha ha ha

As I said in another thread, I'm considering this. For four of us in our cabin, taking every photo op, and with my own personal experience using editing software, I think it could definitely work out to be worth the money for us. I'm pretty sure it's not a lot different than what we spent for all of the photos and video of a dolphin/sealion encounter we had a couple of years ago, and I've never regretted it. Is the CD ridiculously overpriced? Absolutely, just like pretty much all such photos - on cruise ships, in theme parks, at events... That isn't the relevant question, though. The question is whether it's worth it to you to have all of the pictures you can get for the price.

What I'm most curious about is when you have to tell them that you want the CD. Can you wait until the last day and see how many pictures they've actually taken and how good they are before you decide if you want it?

If only there was a photographer where I am that charged your rates! I suppose I could take my family to Sears or Walmart... ha ha ha ha ha

As I said in another thread, I'm considering this. For four of us in our cabin, taking every photo op, and with my own personal experience using editing software, I think it could definitely work out to be worth the money for us. I'm pretty sure it's not a lot different than what we spent for all of the photos and video of a dolphin/sealion encounter we had a couple of years ago, and I've never regretted it. Is the CD ridiculously overpriced? Absolutely, just like pretty much all such photos - on cruise ships, in theme parks, at events... That isn't the relevant question, though. The question is whether it's worth it to you to have all of the pictures you can get for the price.

What I'm most curious about is when you have to tell them that you want the CD. Can you wait until the last day and see how many pictures they've actually taken and how good they are before you decide if you want it?

I have NEVER seen a good cruise ship photograph.

This is what I read:

Photography:

The wait is over; you can order all your photographs taken this cruise on a CD. Our photo kiosks are located in the Photo Gallery, Deck 5, Mid and available 24/7 for your convenience. Simply swipe your keycard and follow the instructions on the screen. Order by 6:00pm on Friday and pick up he same evening.

So it sounds like you have until 6pm Friday to order. This is posted in the dailies.

I have NEVER seen a good cruise ship photograph.

I have quite a few, actually. The family portrait we currently have displayed in our living room was taken on a cruise, actually, and it's gorgeous.

Something to keep in mind is that not everyone is as concerned about quality as they are about content. It's very possible that you would look at the family portrait in my living room and think it was crap. I look at it and I see my family, all smiling, great expressions all around, looking fabulous in our formalwear, hair perfect, in a pose that is flattering to each of us, and we're framed really nicely against a good backdrop. I think it was the same cruise that I paid a crazy amount for a 4x6 of my daughter wearing a captain's hat and posing with a ship's wheel on the bridge. I wasn't there to get that shot myself, so it was worth it to me to purchase it. On our last cruise, my favourite picture is from dinner on the last night when the photographer was strolling through the dining room.

Again, it's all about whether it's worth it to the individual. Clearly to you it's not. Knowing that I can wait until Friday afternoon (thanks Mitsugirly) to decide means that we can pose for every camera we see and then make an informed decision about whether or not it's worth it - to ME. :)

I'm definately considering this... yes $349 is a LOT of money but for some reason I always seem to take decent pics on a cruise ship, dont ask me why lol... my house is full of pics from cruises because they always seem to come out really well... we always buy at least a couple from every cruise we have ever been on... this will be the first ever vacation with both of our adult kids together with us and also my parents... so the 6 of us all in one place at one time which is very rare... $349 could be a good deal if we take a lot of pics and they come out well.. its good to know you can wait to the later part of the cruise to decide... we are all in different rooms but i'm sure my husband or i will be in a lot of the pics and we can make that happen lol...

I have quite a few, actually. The family portrait we currently have displayed in our living room was taken on a cruise, actually, and it's gorgeous.

Something to keep in mind is that not everyone is as concerned about quality as they are about content. It's very possible that you would look at the family portrait in my living room and think it was crap. I look at it and I see my family, all smiling, great expressions all around, looking fabulous in our formalwear, hair perfect, in a pose that is flattering to each of us, and we're framed really nicely against a good backdrop. I think it was the same cruise that I paid a crazy amount for a 4x6 of my daughter wearing a captain's hat and posing with a ship's wheel on the bridge. I wasn't there to get that shot myself, so it was worth it to me to purchase it. On our last cruise, my favourite picture is from dinner on the last night when the photographer was strolling through the dining room.

Again, it's all about whether it's worth it to the individual. Clearly to you it's not. Knowing that I can wait until Friday afternoon (thanks Mitsugirly) to decide means that we can pose for every camera we see and then make an informed decision about whether or not it's worth it - to ME. :)

On year I think I paid 14.99 or so for a stupid picture of my husband with a guy dressed up as a shark at the gang way in some port... the picture was just so freaking funny and he looked great in the pic... who would know that several years later we move into a new house and we do our master bathroom in an ocean theme with shells etc... and i found this cheap picture frame at Michaels which looks like a boat standing on one end with a net hanging over half the pic etc and the shark pic went PERFECTLY into it and its practically the best part of the whole bathroom lol

Knowing that I can wait until Friday afternoon (thanks Mitsugirly) to decide means that we can pose for every camera we see and then make an informed decision about whether or not it's worth it - to ME. :)

No problem. I knew I had read it somewhere. I just couldn't remember where. I had to do some digging and found it was on the dailies. :)

On year I think I paid 14.99 or so for a stupid picture of my husband with a guy dressed up as a shark at the gang way in some port... the picture was just so freaking funny and he looked great in the pic... who would know that several years later we move into a new house and we do our master bathroom in an ocean theme with shells etc... and i found this cheap picture frame at Michaels which looks like a boat standing on one end with a net hanging over half the pic etc and the shark pic went PERFECTLY into it and its practically the best part of the whole bathroom lol

Oh my gosh, that's so funny!! What is it about husbands and guys dressed up as sharks? I think it was on the Pearl when we stopped in Key West that we had a similarly 'irresistible' photo taken. My husband did something corny and the guy in the hammerhead costume had the right (or is that wrong... very wrong?) sense of humour and stuck his leg up and it looks for all the world like they're doing something quite inappropriate! ha ha ha Hmmmmm... I just renovated my upstairs bathroom... it may be time for an 'aquatic' change of decor downstairs!! Nahhhhh... I'll just hang it behind the bar! :p

Oh my gosh, that's so funny!! What is it about husbands and guys dressed up as sharks? I think it was on the Pearl when we stopped in Key West that we had a similarly 'irresistible' photo taken. My husband did something corny and the guy in the hammerhead costume had the right (or is that wrong... very wrong?) sense of humour and stuck his leg up and it looks for all the world like they're doing something quite inappropriate! ha ha ha Hmmmmm... I just renovated my upstairs bathroom... it may be time for an 'aquatic' change of decor downstairs!! Nahhhhh... I'll just hang it behind the bar! :p

http://dsc.discovery.com/sharks/shark-yourself/ upload a photo, and have it morphed into a shark face.... free.

I agree, $350 is an outrageous price. But I am insane like CanadianTwosome and also considering this. But normally my pictures are so funny or scary that I dont want to see them ;)

Cruise ships make a ton of money on photos. I just think $350 is a bit extreme for cruise photos. My question would be how many photos could one be in on a cruise. The most I have been photograhed or asked to be photographed on a cruise is about 10 times. Is a picture CD worth $350 for 10 pictures?????? Not really but consider this. My last cruise in January, I could not believe how much the pictures have went up in price. It was $35 for one photo. No longer did you get little pictures along with your main photo. You also could only get one and no duplicate. They also would not put the date of the picture on the cruise for $35, that was extra. So I got frustrated and walked away. Just 9 months earlier on NCL, I got a photo with small sized extras, and the date of the cruise on the photo for significantly less.

Having said all of this... if you get 10 photos on board 10x35 is $350. How ironic, right?

So now I know this. I am calling NCL and I want a full paparazzi around me at ALL times. I want at least 30 photo graphs of me all over the ship. I want one of me every step, whether sleeping, eating, or just hanging out.

So I guess to make a LONG story short, it would be worth it for me if there were at least 15-25 pictures on the CD.

I can print out and frame the good ones when I get home and print out and scare the rats out of the basement with the others ;)

(That was a joke, I am really an athlete model who lives in south beach. People usually pay ME to take my photograph. So this will be a change to pay someone to take my picture).

There are many very good photography entusiasts out there that do very very good work for pin money. The fact that I occasionally get paid from a hobbie I enjoy is quite simply a bonus that helps pay towards the cost of equipment. I am not trying to compete with full time professionals.

I am FACT much much better than the snappers on the cruise ships. I should imagine they laugh their socks off at anyone that actually pays $350 for what they produce on a CD. Simply a selection of point and shoot photographs.

I have seen them in action, they even have their cameras set to auto. No enthusiast or pro would EVER do that.

I agree, $350 is an outrageous price. But I am insane like CanadianTwosome and also considering this. But normally my pictures are so funny or scary that I dont want to see them ;)

Cruise ships make a ton of money on photos. I just think $350 is a bit extreme for cruise photos. My question would be how many photos could one be in on a cruise. The most I have been photograhed or asked to be photographed on a cruise is about 10 times. Is a picture CD worth $350 for 10 pictures?????? Not really but consider this. My last cruise in January, I could not believe how much the pictures have went up in price. It was $35 for one photo. No longer did you get little pictures along with your main photo. You also could only get one and no duplicate. They also would not put the date of the picture on the cruise for $35, that was extra. So I got frustrated and walked away. Just 9 months earlier on NCL, I got a photo with small sized extras, and the date of the cruise on the photo for significantly less.

Having said all of this... if you get 10 photos on board 10x35 is $350. How ironic, right?

So now I know this. I am calling NCL and I want a full paparazzi around me at ALL times. I want at least 30 photo graphs of me all over the ship. I want one of me every step, whether sleeping, eating, or just hanging out.

So I guess to make a LONG story short, it would be worth it for me if there were at least 15-25 pictures on the CD.

I can print out and frame the good ones when I get home and print out and scare the rats out of the basement with the others ;)

(That was a joke, I am really an athlete model who lives in south beach. People usually pay ME to take my photograph. So this will be a change to pay someone to take my picture).

I think I saw your portfolio when I was down there shooting a layout myself... ha ha ha ha ha

I think on our last week-long cruise there were more than 30 pictures that included me, my husband, my daughter and my mom; there were some of all four of us, assorted groups of three and two, and a variety of solo shots. There were posed shots as well as candid. We got a couple of fantastic ones from the White Hot party showing us all having a fantastic time. On the Epic I'll be supplementing that number (that was achieved without trying) with as many additional photos as I can. I will not decline ANY photo ops, and every night I'm going to stand in line and have some formal shots taken. I'm someone who loves dressing up, and I do it every night on cruises. I expect to be posing for at least a dozen... as will my daughter. :)

I think what some of the posters don't understand is that for me, and others who feel the same way I do about pictures, it's not about quality. Obviously I appreciate quality, but I'm absolutely fine with a completely amateurish picture if it depicts an experience that I want to remember forever and will never be able to have again. My daughter is 12 years old and she'll never be 12 again. My mom is 79 and while I hope it's not, I have to be realistic and acknowledge that this may be the last time she joins us on a cruise. If I can bring home a CD full of pictures of our family (at least 10 each plus group shots), I'll just be happy that I can afford the $349, because it will be worth every penny. :)

I agree Canadian. I am still paying for my cruise in December. I booked a suite that at times made me think I should not have selected due to price. I am working my butt off to pay off the cruise on time.

Therefore, I want to show up in every photo possible :)

I will be crashing your party and sticking my face in everywhere just to fill my photo CD that costs $350. My goal is to have NCL ban me from future photos and have to force families to cut me out of their family albums.

Are you with me Canadian???? ;)

Archived