Keeping in contact on Mariner

yelley

The other thread regarding the Royal Connect got me thinking, what do they offer on Mariner?

We will be traveling with my daughter who is a T1 Diabetic and need to be able to stay in touch with her. Do they offer similar on the Mariner?

What about walkie talkie's? I know some think they are bothersome but I really need to be able to communicate with her. Can anyone suggest a really good brand of walkie talkie that would work onboard?

Adventure Ocean give pagers to parents with kids in the 3-5 group, but I'm sure if you explained your daughter's special circumstances they would provide you with one so they could contact you if necessary.

We sailed on Mariner and rented the "deck" phones and they worked great!!! They were $25. per phone, so $50. for the two phones for the entire week. They gave us ones with consecutive phone numbers so were easy to remember the phone number. They worked perfectly all over the ship and are the same ones that the crew all carry. Perfect for staying in touch.

As a nurse who works with children, I know how very important it is to stay in close touch with your child. Good luck!

The other thread regarding the Royal Connect got me thinking, what do they offer on Mariner?

We will be traveling with my daughter who is a T1 Diabetic and need to be able to stay in touch with her. Do they offer similar on the Mariner?

What about walkie talkie's? I know some think they are bothersome but I really need to be able to communicate with her. Can anyone suggest a really good brand of walkie talkie that would work onboard?

Walkie talkies are a poor choice. Too many people use them, and all you hear is kids clicking them on and off . . . loudly and repeatedly. Not only will you be annoyed, but so will everyone around you.

The deck phones are located by the elevators and in numerous other places around the ship. I used them several times.

Thank you!!

I have heard mention of "deck" phones , i think that is what they were called, has anyone ever used those?

We sailed on Mariner and rented the "deck" phones and they worked great!!! They were $25. per phone, so $50. for the two phones for the entire week. They gave us ones with consecutive phone numbers so were easy to remember the phone number. They worked perfectly all over the ship and are the same ones that the crew all carry. Perfect for staying in touch.

As a nurse who works with children, I know how very important it is to stay in close touch with your child. Good luck!

Walkie talkies are a poor choice. Too many people use them, and all you hear is kids clicking them on and off . . . loudly and repeatedly. Not only will you be annoyed, but so will everyone around you.

The deck phones are located by the elevators and in numerous other places around the ship. I used them several times.

(you have no idea what they are talking about :))

They are called DECT phones, and RC's website tells all:

Q: Are walkie-talkies allowed onboard? s.gifA: Dect phones (portable phones) are available to rent for $25.00 a week on Radiance and Voyager class vessels. Guests may reserve a set at the Guest Relations Desk, (price is subject to change). Guests are also allowed to have two-way radios, more commonly know as walkie-talkies, for onboard personal communications. Basic specifications are as follows: Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna. s.gif

Q: Are walkie-talkies allowed onboard? s.gifA: Dect phones (portable phones) are available to rent for $25.00 a week on Radiance and Voyager class vessels. Guests may reserve a set at the Guest Relations Desk, (price is subject to change). Guests are also allowed to have two-way radios, more commonly know as walkie-talkies, for onboard personal communications. Basic specifications are as follows: Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna. s.gif

I meant to say house phones, which are attached to the wall and fairly easy to find.

I thought that was what they said, "DECT" phones when I called, but being human I interpreted it as "deck" phones, too funny. I thought I just heard them wrong.

Anyway, do they usually sell out? I just want to avoid the walkie talkie thing. I tried to call RCI and they can not guarantee "dect" phones so it makes me little nervous that I may have no way to stay in contact with her.

Archived