Celebrity On Board Credits Past Passengers?

Samantha94

My husband and I have cruised with Celebrity 3 cruises and each cruise being 12+ days and at the conceirge level. Recently we booked an Alaskan cruise for our family for next June 2011 with a new travel agent. Our travel agent that we had been with for years, retired. We are paying entirely for our two children and their families and have booked the family staterooms for them and one conceirge stateroom for ourselves. The TA that we have booked with just came back and said that she has received a $50.00 onboard credit for each family and she will try and get something for my husband and I.

My question is that after three cruises with this cruise line, what onboard credits would we be entitled to? While I don't want to be presumptous in expectations, I do know that other cruise lines offer onboard credits and bonues for past cruises. Not sure how to handle the TA or what to expect? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Samantha

Celebrity does not have a past passengers discount. However there are, depending on the sailing, discounts for residence in certain states/provinces, age, military/police.

There are certain agencies that will pay for your gratuities if booking certain cabins... or usually at least a $100 OBC.

I would suggest that you book directly with Celebrity since no one is allowed to give a lower fare while you search for a new TA. You can transfer your booking when you are offered a good deal. Otherwise find an agent that does not charge if you cancel your cruise.

We've always rec'd the usual OBCs - the ones from your agent, the RCCL stock OBC and the OBC for booking a future cruise onboard. However on our last cruise we rec'd a new one and were wondering if anyone had rec'd this.

We did a Baltic cruise on the Eclipse in May and in June were on the Summit doing a Bermuda cruise. One day two $10 credits appeared on our account - couldn't figure out what they were for. The next day we rec'd a note from the Captain's Club thanking us for sailing with Celebrity so soon after our last cruise and giving us each a $10 OBC to have a drink on them!!!

My husband said this shows we spend way too much time at the Martini Bar!! Needless to say those $10 credits were spent many times over at the Summit Martini Bar.

Pat

There is an early booking discount for Sailing through June of 2011. Depending on which date and which ship the amount would be either $50.00 or $75.00 per cabin.

This is info from a well know online agency starting that I just went & checked with it starts with vac...Also with this agency there is often a past passenger discount with Celebrity but this is still too far out for that discount; check for this when you get closer to your date. I just saw one for January of 2011 and it depended on which category booked.

Happy cruising & good luck...

Thank you - I wasn't sure what to expect but seemed that we should get more than $50 per stateroom -

Samantha

We've been on more than 25 cruises on Celebrity and never received an on board credit directly from the cruise line. Yes, OBC from our TA, but X does not give obc as a part of their Captain's Club benefits. There may be some sort of early booking discount for your cruise, and that might be where the $50 number came from. There are some price reductions that you might qualify for, such as resident savings, but unless your ta gives you an obc, don't expect one from X as it's just not something they tend to do.

We've always rec'd the usual OBCs - the ones from your agent, the RCCL stock OBC and the OBC for booking a future cruise onboard. However on our last cruise we rec'd a new one and were wondering if anyone had rec'd this.

We did a Baltic cruise on the Eclipse in May and in June were on the Summit doing a Bermuda cruise. One day two $10 credits appeared on our account - couldn't figure out what they were for. The next day we rec'd a note from the Captain's Club thanking us for sailing with Celebrity so soon after our last cruise and giving us each a $10 OBC to have a drink on them!!!

My husband said this shows we spend way too much time at the Martini Bar!! Needless to say those $10 credits were spent many times over at the Summit Martini Bar.

Pat

Hi!

We received the $10 drinks coupons each as well.

It was a thank you for sailing on a cruise in April and June....just 8 weeks apart.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive it.

Happy Sailing,

Carol Ann

This is info from a well know online agency starting that I just went & checked with it starts with vac...

Isn't that the same agency that charges a booking fee?

We used them once for an OBC and they clawed half of it back for the fee..

Thank you - I wasn't sure what to expect but seemed that we should get more than $50 per stateroom -

Samantha

From my experience the best way to maximize your OBC is to find the right TA. You can do some research on line and find TAs that would compete for your business. $50 a cabin is very low and the TA is maximizing their profit. If your cruise has many available cabins in your category, you might consider cancelling your current booking and rebooking with another TA. You can go directly to Celebrity on line and find out the current pricing.

Good luck.

Pat

I don't think you can combine the stock obc with the passage obc anymore... After we cruise we usually get a "thank you" email with coupon codes that expire two months after they are sent... another way to chip a little off the bill.

Hi!

We received the $10 drinks coupons each as well.

It was a thank you for sailing on a cruise in April and June....just 8 weeks apart.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive it.

Happy Sailing,

Carol Ann

We sailed on the Summit in June also, after sailing on the Equinox TA in April. We also received the $10 coupons. They were like any other shipboard credit -- they didn't have to be spent in the bars! Unfortunately, mine went towards the $542 medical bill when I got sick the last day of the cruise.

This is the first time we have gotten these, after many Celebrity cruises. Maybe it is because it was so close to the Equinox sailing...

Marilyn

Pat

I'm glad you mentioned the $10 OBC. My boyfriend and I got those also for sailing so soon and we also got 2 $50 additional OBC we still don't know where they came from. We used them all! Cruise baby Cruise!!!

Thanks so much to all of you who posted; we appreciate your help. I think I will check with Celebrity directly as suggested by many of you. From what has been posted, it sounds that the $50.00 per stateroom is coming from Celebrity as an early booking discount and that we should check back closer to the sail date for any further past passenger discounts (as per Leyla). Thanks again for all the help!

Samantha

We've been on more than 25 cruises on Celebrity and never received an on board credit directly from the cruise line. Yes, OBC from our TA, but X does not give obc as a part of their Captain's Club benefits. There may be some sort of early booking discount for your cruise, and that might be where the $50 number came from. There are some price reductions that you might qualify for, such as resident savings, but unless your ta gives you an obc, don't expect one from X as it's just not something they tend to do.

Hi Kitty:

While it is true that X does not give OBC as part of the Captain's Club benefits, X does run sales from time to time where X will give you OBC.

We booked a cruise last year where X gave us $300 on board credit. I booked directly and the OBC came straight from Celebrity to us. There was no travel agent involved at any time.

There was also a "50% deposit" feature on that sale (i.e. you only had to put $225 down per person, instead of the usual $450 deposit.).

My husband and I have cruised with Celebrity 3 cruises and each cruise being 12+ days and at the conceirge level. Recently we booked an Alaskan cruise for our family for next June 2011 with a new travel agent. Our travel agent that we had been with for years, retired. We are paying entirely for our two children and their families and have booked the family staterooms for them and one conceirge stateroom for ourselves. The TA that we have booked with just came back and said that she has received a $50.00 onboard credit for each family and she will try and get something for my husband and I.

My question is that after three cruises with this cruise line, what onboard credits would we be entitled to? While I don't want to be presumptous in expectations, I do know that other cruise lines offer onboard credits and bonues for past cruises. Not sure how to handle the TA or what to expect? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Samantha

This is not exactly pertinent to your original question. but it does speak to Captain's Club benefits.

For the cruises that you have sailed, you will have accrued 9 cruise tier points (assuming you've registered with Captain's club). If you earn one more point before you cruise, you will have reached Elite status before your next cruise, which will open up all kinds of great benefits for you.

I was in the same position prior to a 14 day cruise, so I looked to see what was the most cost effective way to get one more point. I found a three day cruise that I went on with friends. We shared a Sky Suite which was available at fire sale prices four weeks before sailing. So for $200 dollars, not only did I get a fun getaway with friends, I was bumped up to Elite status before my next cruise, and for 14 days my husband and I were able to enjoy Michael's Lounge, free internet and a whole raft of other benefits. At the very least, free drinks from 4pm-6:00 pm every day (except empbarkation and disembarkation days) and free champagne, mimosas and cappuccinos in Michaels for breakfast made us feel very special!!

Even if the person you are travelling with does not have 10 cruise points, all of the benefits of Elite status are also extended to the other person in your cabin.

(I don't know if this is something you already knew or not, but I posted it just in case. Please pardon me if this is information you already had).

I would suggest that you book directly with Celebrity since no one is allowed to give a lower fare while you search for a new TA. You can transfer your booking when you are offered a good deal. Otherwise find an agent that does not charge if you cancel your cruise.[/size][/font]

This is NOT good advice. Agents rebate commissions in various ways all the time -- through onboard credit, pre-paid gratuities, heck even cash. You DO NOT get the best deal booking directly through the cruise line, although they would like you to think you do.

Originally Posted by Xellent viewpost.gif

I would suggest that you book directly with Celebrity since no one is allowed to give a lower fare while you search for a new TA. You can transfer your booking when you are offered a good deal. Otherwise find an agent that does not charge if you cancel your cruise.

This is NOT good advice. Agents rebate commissions in various ways all the time -- through onboard credit, pre-paid gratuities, heck even cash. You DO NOT get the best deal booking directly through the cruise line, although they would like you to think you do.

That's what's great about personal opinion.. we can differ and find what works best for us.

Booking directly through the cruise line gives you the greatest flexibility in planning and convenience. Few travel agents have phone contacts for longer hours practically every day of the year than Celebrity. I did not say that you get the best deal but while you have the convenience of changing your mind, you can shop around for the best deal. Once a travel agent has your booking you are subject to their hours their pricing and you can't change (without cancelling) if a better deal with more perks become available elsewhere. I have yet to find a travel agent who gives cash back since, according to most sources, it is against Celebrity's pricing guidelines.

This is not exactly pertinent to your original question. but it does speak to Captain's Club benefits.

For the cruises that you have sailed, you will have accrued 9 cruise tier points (assuming you've registered with Captain's club). If you earn one more point before you cruise, you will have reached Elite status before your next cruise, which will open up all kinds of great benefits for you.

(I don't know if this is something you already knew or not, but I posted it just in case. Please pardon me if this is information you already had).

That might not be true - if one or more of those cruises was prior to the extra credits - say 2001 or prior (I think the extra credit for longer cruises started in 2002 or 2003 as our 14 day fall, 2001 only gave us one cruise credit), they would only get one credit for that (those) cruises.

I did not know that and the information is so very helpful!!! I checked our Captains Club cards and we are listed as "Classic" members, but we have never received updated cards from the first set. From what you have said, I think I will call Celebrity directly to check on our status and to see if our paying for the three rooms on this upcoming cruise credits us anything. According to our new TA, she said that Celebrity will only credit us for our cabin and not for the kids cabins ??? Thanks again - really appreciate your help!!!

Samantha

I was in the same position prior to a 14 day cruise, so I looked to see what was the most cost effective way to get one more point. I found a three day cruise that I went on with friends. We shared a Sky Suite which was available at fire sale prices four weeks before sailing. So for $200 dollars, not only did I get a fun getaway with friends, I was bumped up to Elite status before my next cruise, and for 14 days my husband and I were able to enjoy Michael's Lounge, free internet and a whole raft of other benefits. At the very least, free drinks from 4pm-6:00 pm every day (except empbarkation and disembarkation days) and free champagne, mimosas and cappuccinos in Michaels for breakfast made us feel very special!!

Even if the person you are travelling with does not have 10 cruise points, all of the benefits of Elite status are also extended to the other person in your cabin.

I did not know that and the information is so very helpful!!! I checked our Captains Club cards and we are listed as "Classic" members, but we have never received updated cards from the first set. From what you have said, I think I will call Celebrity directly to check on our status and to see if our paying for the three rooms on this upcoming cruise credits us anything. According to our new TA, she said that Celebrity will only credit us for our cabin and not for the kids cabins ??? Thanks again - really appreciate your help!!!

Samantha

If you really have nine cruise credits (that is, if your three cruises were all recent enough to count for three credits each), you will not qualify for the tenth cruise credit until you complete another cruise. Booking three rooms on the next cruise will have no effect, and the effect will only be for the people traveling in those rooms. That means that at the end of your next cruise, you will have 11 credits (12 if the upcoming cruise is 12 nights or longer) and your kids and their families will all have 1 (I believe FV does not count for the concierge-and-above credit) (2 if it's a longer cruise). It goes by who's occupying a cabin, regardless of who pays for it.

Waterlily777's plan for you to take a short cruise, if you can swing it, is a great way for you two, at least, to get elite status for your Alaska cruise. Our plan, after we get to six credits, is to take a 4-day/5-day back-to-back in a CC cabin and pick up the last four credits in one swell foop:cool:.

Archived