Has anyone done the 18th Century tour in Ocho Rios?

RLA2010

We booked this excursion from Carnival's website for our visit in Ocho Rios on the Liberty in September:

18th Century Estate

This fun-filled excursion combines a visit to an 18th century plantation and an escape to Dolphin Cove’s beach.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a short transfer from the pier to Prospect Plantation where a complimentary fruit drink is waiting.
  • Experience “Old Jamaica’s Culture” and history on a tractor-drawn open air carriage ride.
  • See the plantation’s butterfly aviary and feed the ostriches.
  • Depart for Dolphin Cove, home to dolphins, sharks, snakes, stingrays, macaws, and many other tropical birds, fishes and reptiles.
  • View the dolphins as they interact with other guests and witness the amazing “Shark Show”.
  • Relax and enjoy the private beach’s pearly white sand and crystal clear waters. Relax in your complimentary lounge chair with a complimentary drink and enjoy lunch in the comfort of your “beach haven”.
  • Feel free to sample local fruits, spices and the World Famous Blue Mountain Coffee and liquors.
  • Have an optional drop off at Taj Mahal or Soni’s Plaza for shopping on your return to the ship.

Has anyone done this? What did you think? I'm glad we're doing a tour since I've been reading people don't feel safe in Jamaica without a tour.

We booked this excursion from Carnival's website for our visit in Ocho Rios on the Liberty in September:

18th Century Estate

This fun-filled excursion combines a visit to an 18th century plantation and an escape to Dolphin Cove’s beach.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a short transfer from the pier to Prospect Plantation where a complimentary fruit drink is waiting.
  • Experience “Old Jamaica’s Culture” and history on a tractor-drawn open air carriage ride.
  • See the plantation’s butterfly aviary and feed the ostriches.
  • Depart for Dolphin Cove, home to dolphins, sharks, snakes, stingrays, macaws, and many other tropical birds, fishes and reptiles.
  • View the dolphins as they interact with other guests and witness the amazing “Shark Show”.
  • Relax and enjoy the private beach’s pearly white sand and crystal clear waters. Relax in your complimentary lounge chair with a complimentary drink and enjoy lunch in the comfort of your “beach haven”.
  • Feel free to sample local fruits, spices and the World Famous Blue Mountain Coffee and liquors.
  • Have an optional drop off at Taj Mahal or Soni’s Plaza for shopping on your return to the ship.

Has anyone done this? What did you think? I'm glad we're doing a tour since I've been reading people don't feel safe in Jamaica without a tour.

We did this tour through Carnival on our Liberty cruise last October. It was my first time in Jamaica. My Mom had been to Montego Bay before and also once to Ocho Rios. She had done the Dunn's River Falls, and found it too physically demanding, so I chose this tour, and booked through Carnival, as that is my usual routine.

The trip to the 18th century plantation was nice, decent air conditioned bus, and once at the plantation, we boarded as they describe an open air carriage. Our tour giver was very funny, named Chris and was a twin of Chris Rock with similar humour! He was funny! the carriage will bring you through the plantation, and point out the vegetation and flowers along the way, and it brings you quite high up into the hills, so it is shaded and cool. I dont remember stopping to see ostriches or feeding them, so cant comment. We stopped at a fruit stand, where another comedian, ( very dry but funny humour ) explained about the coconut, mango, papaya etc, and we got to chew on some sugar cane and coconut.

Onward and upward again to the 18th century plantation house, which was kept to specs of the era, like a museum, and interesting story about the family. Then a view out the back of the house over the land. Very pretty and interesting. Then back down the hill to the bus, which takes you back to the ship or to the Dolphin Cove. We went on to Dolphin Cove, which was also nice, but was about 12.30 by the time we got there.

Lunch consists of jerk chicken, hot dogs, salads and a rum punch or a soda, plus some more things I just dont remember now, not a big layout, but enough, and you could go back for more. The beach there was disappointing to us, small and crowded , and the swimming area, was in a little alcove, between land an a rock jetty. We didnt get in the water, and after lunch it was 1.30 already, and the ship was leaving at 4, so you had to be back on by 3.30, so we headed back to the ship.

Im not complaining, as I did enjoy the first part of the tour, but found it could have been shortened a bit, so you have real time to enjoy Dolphin Cove. If I did it again, I would skip the lunch, have a dip in the water and spend an hour or so drying off in the sun, then have a look at the facility a bit more. There just wasnt enough time to appreciate and enjoy it all. As I say though I am glad I did it, as I have never been to Jamaica before, and wanted to see/do something. No one bugged us to buy stuff, and it was safe. If I go back to Ocho Rios, I will probably rather do the Bamboo Beach break. This JMHO. Not a bad tour, but it has it's drawbacks.

Have a great cruise, and the Liberty is a wonderful ship!:)

We did this tour through Carnival on our Liberty cruise last October. It was my first time in Jamaica. My Mom had been to Montego Bay before and also once to Ocho Rios. She had done the Dunn's River Falls, and found it too physically demanding, so I chose this tour, and booked through Carnival, as that is my usual routine.

The trip to the 18th century plantation was nice, decent air conditioned bus, and once at the plantation, we boarded as they describe an open air carriage. Our tour giver was very funny, named Chris and was a twin of Chris Rock with similar humour! He was funny! the carriage will bring you through the plantation, and point out the vegetation and flowers along the way, and it brings you quite high up into the hills, so it is shaded and cool. I dont remember stopping to see ostriches or feeding them, so cant comment. We stopped at a fruit stand, where another comedian, ( very dry but funny humour ) explained about the coconut, mango, papaya etc, and we got to chew on some sugar cane and coconut.

Onward and upward again to the 18th century plantation house, which was kept to specs of the era, like a museum, and interesting story about the family. Then a view out the back of the house over the land. Very pretty and interesting. Then back down the hill to the bus, which takes you back to the ship or to the Dolphin Cove. We went on to Dolphin Cove, which was also nice, but was about 12.30 by the time we got there.

Lunch consists of jerk chicken, hot dogs, salads and a rum punch or a soda, plus some more things I just dont remember now, not a big layout, but enough, and you could go back for more. The beach there was disappointing to us, small and crowded , and the swimming area, was in a little alcove, between land an a rock jetty. We didnt get in the water, and after lunch it was 1.30 already, and the ship was leaving at 4, so you had to be back on by 3.30, so we headed back to the ship.

Im not complaining, as I did enjoy the first part of the tour, but found it could have been shortened a bit, so you have real time to enjoy Dolphin Cove. If I did it again, I would skip the lunch, have a dip in the water and spend an hour or so drying off in the sun, then have a look at the facility a bit more. There just wasnt enough time to appreciate and enjoy it all. As I say though I am glad I did it, as I have never been to Jamaica before, and wanted to see/do something. No one bugged us to buy stuff, and it was safe. If I go back to Ocho Rios, I will probably rather do the Bamboo Beach break. This JMHO. Not a bad tour, but it has it's drawbacks.

Have a great cruise, and the Liberty is a wonderful ship!:)

Thanks so much for your detailed review, how helpful!! :) I had a hard time coming up with something to do in Jamaica since my hubby isn't very into water activities (scuba, snorkeling) so that's why we chose this. I was hoping it's not too boring since neither of us are huge history buffs but do appreciate different cultures and nature. It sounds like we will enjoy it similarly as you did which is fine. I didn't want to just walk around on our own..been scared away of doing that reading others' posts lol

Thanks so much for your detailed review, how helpful!! :) I had a hard time coming up with something to do in Jamaica since my hubby isn't very into water activities (scuba, snorkeling) so that's why we chose this. I was hoping it's not too boring since neither of us are huge history buffs but do appreciate different cultures and nature. It sounds like we will enjoy it similarly as you did which is fine. I didn't want to just walk around on our own..been scared away of doing that reading others' posts lol

Yes it is an enjoyable tour, many good things, and even though Jamaica gets some bad press/reviews, it should be experienced at least once. The island is very scenic. I think this is a good tour to start with, as I did, and am glad I did. It is not boring, just my only negative is that I would have preferred more time at Dolphin Cove, but that could just have to do with me and what I enjoy the most. Im not a big history buff either, but this plantation tour is not loaded with history, just more of the flora/nature of the island. And I would also not just walk around on our own, with exception of the shops near the pier.

I understand usually Liberty stops at a peir/dock by shops, but our cruise docked at a place that was about a 1/2 mile away from that pier and those shops, and while you could walk from the ship where we docked to the shops, I would not like to do that. There was a Princess ship docked there, so Im not sure if that was the reason why we docked further away or not. So I hope the Liberty docks at this more "attractive" pier. Anyway, have fun!:)

Yes it is an enjoyable tour, many good things, and even though Jamaica gets some bad press/reviews, it should be experienced at least once. The island is very scenic. I think this is a good tour to start with, as I did, and am glad I did. It is not boring, just my only negative is that I would have preferred more time at Dolphin Cove, but that could just have to do with me and what I enjoy the most. Im not a big history buff either, but this plantation tour is not loaded with history, just more of the flora/nature of the island. And I would also not just walk around on our own, with exception of the shops near the pier.

I understand usually Liberty stops at a peir/dock by shops, but our cruise docked at a place that was about a 1/2 mile away from that pier and those shops, and while you could walk from the ship where we docked to the shops, I would not like to do that. There was a Princess ship docked there, so Im not sure if that was the reason why we docked further away or not. So I hope the Liberty docks at this more "attractive" pier. Anyway, have fun!:)

Alright great, thanks again! :)

Archived