Q: Eastern Caribbean June/July 2011

I have not cruised in a long time but daily (nightly?) dream about sailing again.

Our family has talked about doing a family cruise for a number of years. We are finally committed to doing it!

At first, the Caribbean was ruled out as my sisters thought it would be too hot/humid for Mom. After further discussion, it was decided we would like to do the Eastern Caribbean. Work and school schedules restrict our dates to late-June/early-July.

I was surprised to find that only two cruise lines sail the Caribbean in June/July -- Carnival and RCL. Prices are certainly not “bargain basement,” but I knew they wouldn’t be.

The family prefers RCL. Two of the three RCL ships (Oasis, Allure) are simply out of our price range. That leaves us with Freedom which sails out of Cape Canaveral. My questions are many and I’m soliciting some input from you nice, experienced cruisers at CC!

There are nine of us. Age range: 11 - 75. Booking four cabins.

1. Are we foolish not to consider Carnival?

2. I have sailed out of FLL and Miami numerous times but never from Cape Canaveral. All of us live on the west coast so flying (presumably to Orlando) the day before the cruise is necessary. How big of a hassle is it to get from Orlando to the port?

3. At least one of us (me!) must cruise solo. Am I likely to find anything less than a 200% supplement on either cruise line for this itinerary and time frame?

4. Your best guess: are cruise rates likely to fall, rise or stay the same between now and June 2011?

5. Will a cruise line, whether booking directly through them or with a TA, offer any discount or incentive for booking four cabins? (As I recall, at least in years past, “group rates” kick in only when booking 8 - 10 cabins.)

Thanks for any thoughts you have to offer.

There are nine of us. Age range: 11 - 75. Booking four cabins.

1. Are we foolish not to consider Carnival? I would compare prices, itinerary and ship amenities before counting them out.

2. I have sailed out of FLL and Miami numerous times but never from Cape Canaveral. All of us live on the west coast so flying (presumably to Orlando) the day before the cruise is necessary. How big of a hassle is it to get from Orlando to the port? You can get a car service to get you all there, not a hassle at all. Or maybe rent a van? We have rented a car a few times to get us to the Port area. There are a lot of great hotels right by the port. Stop by the East Coast Departure board for more options. It does take some time, but getting there is not a hassle.

3. At least one of us (me!) must cruise solo. Am I likely to find anything less than a 200% supplement on either cruise line for this itinerary and time frame? Not sure on this one

4. Your best guess: are cruise rates likely to fall, rise or stay the same between now and June 2011? Only those with a crystal ball can help here. With Royal you can get a price decrease up until final payment if the price goes down.

5. Will a cruise line, whether booking directly through them or with a TA, offer any discount or incentive for booking four cabins? (As I recall, at least in years past, “group rates” kick in only when booking 8 - 10 cabins.) That is my undertanding as well, 8 cabins for a group.

Thanks for any thoughts you have to offer.

With the group you have going I would say Freedom is definitely a wonderful option, but would not count out Carnival. We did Carnival until my kids were around 12. From that point on they preferred the activites Royal had to offer.

Either way I don't think you can wrong.

Archived